LegacyGT.com

Full Size Spare/Tire Rotation Questions

Rimfaxe

This is my first Subaru (and AWD car). I'm interested in getting a full size spare. I've heard that the AWD system needs tires of the same size to operate properly. 1. Anyone have any ideas on sourcing a matching rim for a 05 GT Ltd Sedan? I hate to buy from the local dealer. 2. Just ordered some Toyo Proxes 4. If I had a full spare, then what is the best way to rotate- keeping in mind the tire size spec for the AWD system (I think its NMT 0.25" difference in tire circumference). 2A If I include the spare in the rotation on one side, then eventually the left and right sides will have enough miles on them to potentially make a significant difference in tire circumference. 2B If I *don't* include the spare in the tire rotation, then my full size spare may be a significantly different size (e.g. brand new spare on one side and 20K miles on the other). This could also affect the AWD system. Any thoughts on the best way to rotate with a full sized spare?

[img]http://www.carcarecouncil.org/images/tires_wheels/tire_rotation.jpg[/img] [u]Tire Rotation[/u] If the vehicle owner has a regular tire as a spare tire and wishes to include it in the tire rotation process, the proper procedure is to use the appropriate rotation pattern shown for 4 Tire Rotation, BUT insert the spare in the right rear position. Place the tire which would have gone to the right rear in the trunk as the new spare. Note: Never include a temporary spare tire in the rotation. Note: Unidirectional tread patterns must be rotated front-to-rear only so the direction of the revolution does not change.

Thanks for the information. I guess that's the problem- I'm pretty sure the Toyo Proxes are unidirectional. Given this, I'm trying to figure out the best solution with a full size spare in the rotation.

On the last 5 Subarus I have owned, the manual clearly states to only rotate front to back, no side to side. And definitely don't rotate the spare in -- it will make it very hard to maintain all tires with the same amount of incremental wear between rotations. The Subaru spec is to have all tires within 0.25" circumference, which is pretty tight tolerance. Craig

its because of the AWD... usually its a curse if you have well used tires and need to replace one.. you end up replacing all 4 it really screws your awd up when one or more tires are signifigantly more / less worn then the others

• 5 years later...
Sorry for digging an ancient thread back up but I have a spare wheel for a full size spare. Even if one of the tires go flat and I drive with the full size spare, it's still OK temporarily right? The OEM spare's got to have a different circumference...

Archived