LegacyGT.com

Front suspension clunk

RyanE

Hi folks,

I have a late '05 LGT 5MT sedan, and recently developed a front suspension clunk.

I discovered my right front shock was leaking fluid at my 15k service, and the dealership replaced it under warranty. All the other shocks were fine, and they did a four wheel alignment to make sure everything was cool there.

Two days later, I started getting a "clunk" when I was making low speed left hand turns, mainly after being stopped. Now it occasionally "clunks" when I make low speed right hand turns. It happens about 1/3 of the way off center when turning, and seems to be exacerbated by a quicker take off from stop.

I put the front end up in the air and shook the hell out of everything down there looking for bad ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar mounts, half shafts, etc etc etc. I checked all the bolts in the h-brace and they are tight to spec, as are the rest of the bolts down there.

I took it back to the dealer, and the damn noise went away. I pulled out of the dealership to leave, and it came back, so I went back to the dealership again, where it went away. :mad:

I just though I'd solicit input from this board as I have been listening to the clunk on my ride home. I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to spend hours replacing parts like I had to on all of my previous "fine rides," so this is pretty damn annoying.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Ask the subaru techs to look near the steering rack for any loose bolts, or crossmembers. My tech fixed it after about 5 tries. car is completely silent now.

I checked all the crossmember bolts and the rack bolts and they were torqued to "vacation pics" spec, so I don't think that's it. It's driving me nuts, however, so thanks for the suggestion!

-Ryan

You sure they assembled the strut/spring correctly. I know when I installed my springs, I didnt re-assemble it correctly and my front suspension clunked to no end.

Yea, I was thinking about that as well, but the spring looks to be seated on the top and bottom of the strut properly. I think I need to be able to regularly replicate the problem so I can make it the dealer's problem. What pain, but thanks for the suggestion.

-Ryan

When they took apart the front end on my car to drop the transmission on my '97, I had the exact same problem after they put it back together. The nut on one of the swing arms was loose & it was clunking up & down with each stop/turn. The dude had to hit it with a sledge hammer (several times) & use a 4 ft wrench to tighten it to the point it didn't have enough slack to "clunk" anymore.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

When they took apart the front end on my car to drop the transmission on my '97, I had the exact same problem after they put it back together. The nut on one of the swing arms was loose & it was clunking up & down with each stop/turn. The dude had to hit it with a sledge hammer (several times) & use a 4 ft wrench to tighten it to the point it didn't have enough slack to "clunk" anymore.

Hmm, I'll have to check into that. I think I can reliably replicate the problem now for the dealer - I have to start turning the wheel then accelerate briskly. I'll keep this thread posted on any resolution.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hmm, I'll have to check into that. I think I can reliably replicate the problem now for the dealer - I have to start turning the wheel then accelerate briskly. I'll keep this thread posted on any resolution.

Thanks,

Ryan

When it happened to me, I literally pulled the car out in the parking lot, made two left turns and turned around. I had the service manager come out and feel what I was talking about. Two or three clunks and he said he knew exactly what it was - brought it right back into the shop and they fixed it. Never bothered me again.

Of course, the guys at Dick Walter Subaru in Bozeman are above par when it comes to dealerships. Good luck getting yours sorted out.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Update...

I dropped the subie back off with the dealer last night. I was able to replicate the clunk for them, and it's definitely coming from the strut they replaced. Apparently the Subaru regional rep is coming out today to check out my car. Interesting!

Until they figure it out, I have an '06 Forester 2.5na auto. It does have some grunt, but I have to work a lot harder on the expressway to avoid being run over. My wife thinks it's "fugly." :)

I'll continue to update you folks on this saga as to add to the pearls of wisdom on this board.

-Ryan

The fix is in...

The dealer didn't tighten the two large bolts that attach the bottom of the strut housing to the top of the hub assembly.

I think those were the only two bolts I didn't check on the whole front suspension - what a pain!

Remember kiddies - if you "fix" something and then a problem appears, check your (or someone else's) "fix" first. I tell my student employees this all the time when I'm training them to repair computers, but I forgot it myself. Ah well.

-Ryan

Archived