LegacyGT.com

Front Cobb BBK + upgraded rear rotors/pads VS. Full Brembo BBK Front Rear Kit

ddavis

I would only suggest the Brembo kit of you're looking for cosmetic enhancement, or additional mass to prolong brake fade in a track condition.

The Cobb, Stop Tech, AP kits made specifically for our car have larger rotors then even the brembo kit and even more resistance to fade, but, won't really do much over a properly upgraded stock system when it comes to a single emergency stopping distance.

If your sole goal is to keep your braking system on par with new found power upgrades for street use, your next stop should be better tires (assuming you you already have the pads, lines, and fluid upgrades). You might also try a more aggressive pad with more initial bite if you are not happy with the current set. You could also consider the RB rear rotor and caliper bracket upgrade to increase the rear brake bias.

ignore him, he'll go away.

If your sole goal is to keep your braking system on par with new found power upgrades for street use, your next stop should be better tires (assuming you you already have the pads, lines, and fluid upgrades).

Agreed. If 1st stop distance is the issue, not fade, and you can still lock your tires/activate ABS, then you want better tires.

Brake upgrades are for when your tires have so much grip your brakes need upgrading (my old car would do this on warm very wide tores with a BBK, it was pretty weird) or when fade rears its ugly head and upgraded pads and fluid can't keep it down.

Random note. Guy swaps a big V8 into an automatic mustang with 4-wheel drums. Realised this was a bad idea the first stopsign he stopped at on a downward slope.

Yes, all I care about for the most part is 80-0mph braking. Right now im running hawk pads all around, stainless steel brake lines, and ate brake fluid. When going up or down alot its hard for me to stop. The aftermarket tires Im running grab fine, but the stopping of the car has a big delay from when i press on the brakes, like im trying to stop a 7k lb truck or something. I live in north cal so theres constant elevation changes that put alot of strain on the brakes. Any pads you guys would recommend? Im going to pull off the hawk pads soon, since they are not really getting it done.

then get HPS or HP+ pads. The ceramic stuff is not that much of an improvement over the stock pad and is meant for a luxo feel and longevity and are generally not a performance pad. You will be happier with a Ferro-Compound pad or a semi-metalic pad.

Yep, the ceramics are your problem...

While the HP+ is a better stopping pad than the HPS, I would suggest the HPS for everyday use as the HP+ is very dusty and the sh!t is like cement when it gets wet. No good for your bling bling rims.

• 1 month later...

Kind of bringing this back but have the same question but for different purpose. I am trying to get my LGT in shape for a few HPDE events this summer. I have opportunity to buy STI F/R Brembo kit form a local guy including the kit needed to mount the rears (bracket and rotor). But after reading some of the post on here I am starting to wonder if it would be a good purchase, and that I may be better off getting the Cobb or AP front BBK.

I have never driven this car at an HDPE as I just got it in November. But my previous cars, STI and Z06 never really had any fade issues even at tracks like Road America where you have long straights. Yes I know this is not a "track car" and I have no visions of passing vettes and porches in it, I just was to be safe and have a good time. Another guy in our group that had a WRX before getting an STI. He commented that he no longer has fade issues on the STI that he had on the WRX so I am a little concerned I may experience the same and am just looking for ways to prevent that without breaking the bank. Power wise my car is stock and I will be running on 04 STI wheels and stock STI tires.

Any helpful advise would be apprciated.

Kind of bringing this back but have the same question but for different purpose...

Just upgrade your pads and flush the fluid with some high temp stuff for the first event. Save the money for more seat time, IMO. I didn't have many problems on stock power with just a set of HP+ pads front and rear and synthetic fluid. The next logical step, IMO, is a set of better vented rotors (I like DBA) and some stainless braided lines for better pedal feel.

Or go BBK. What ever makes you happy.:)

^^^Yep ;)

I honestly felt that my highly modified stock set-up was more than adequate at the track day I have been to. I got a GREAT deal on the COBB set-up, knew I would have some more power in the future, and honestly liked the looks. (Got to admit the black calipers and large rotors add a little BLING to the white wagon ;)) They are AMAZING at the track, but I never had fade w/ the upgraded stock set-up either.

Before my F+R BBK, I was running 2-piece iON Front rotors, the RB 316mm stock caliper rear set-up, Endless SS-M pads all around, steel lines, and Motul RBF600 fluid...

:spin:

So does the RB kit just allow you to run larger discs in the rear using the stock caliper on an extended bracket?

Thanks again for the help. I only want to do what is necessary for safety this year and then start making changes in the future little by little as I get to the point where the car is the issue and not my driving skills. My LGT is my DD and I don't want it to be like my STI (GT30R, Coilovers, 18x9.5, alky injection, ect, ect) was, fast on the track but not a whole lot of fun on the street day to day, just getting to old for that. Loving the LGT so far.

So does the RB kit just allow you to run larger discs in the rear using the stock caliper on an extended bracket?

Thanks again for the help. I only want to do what is necessary for safety this year and then start making changes in the future little by little as I get to the point where the car is the issue and not my driving skills. My LGT is my DD and I don't want it to be like my STI (GT30R, Coilovers, 18x9.5, alky injection, ect, ect) was, fast on the track but not a whole lot of fun on the street day to day, just getting to old for that. Loving the LGT so far.

Yep, that is exactly what the RB kit does...

Here is the old thread on the different upgrades I did before the BBKs

I completely understand. But I will say I have noticed no problems w/ the KW Coilovers, or the BBKs w/ respect to daily drivability. After a ride in a Bilstein Rev B/pink vehicle, my KWs are better in every way ;)

:spin:

Yeah I would not mind a good set of coilovers that are street compliant, but I want to drive the car stock with a better wheels/tires first just to get used to it. I am just trying to keep things simple as I have a habbit of going overboard.

Archived