LegacyGT.com

That frickin engine bay!

Ok I've just about had enough of the damn rattle I hear. I know it's the engine cover. I have put velcro on both driver side engine clips. I didn't do the passenger sides because they were tight but I'm thinking of doing it to see what happens. Whenever I turn on the rear defrost that rattle of the engine cover is unbearable (or atleast I think its the cover) Any advice?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take it off?

Like he said, I removed mind within 2 weeks of buying the car. That would have been sometime in early Jul 04. You don't need that useless thing. All it did was add cost to the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Whenever I turn on the rear defrost that rattle of the engine cover is unbearable
:confused: I'm lost. How does the rear window defroster make the engine cover vibrate/rattle? Extra strain on the alt?

Like he said, I removed mind within 2 weeks of buying the car. That would have been sometime in early Jul 04. You don't need that useless thing. All it did was add cost to the car.

On the contrary, it rams the air thru the top mount. I has a function.

May be because the alternator is drawing power and it changes the resonance. Maybe the alternator is touching the cover.

Remove it you want notice any performance difference.

The cover is there because Subaru wanted to be a German car look a like.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That's what the splitter is for... Unless BL/BP's don't get splitters?

Engine covers are 100% useless.

We do have splitters but out engine covers do serve a function of forcing the air to travel through the TMIC. The splitter "splits" the air flow so that it is equally distributed over the TMIC and the seal between the hood and engine cover/TMIC ensures that there is no blow-by.

The cover is useless

Image 1: The clean spot on the engine cover where the foam seal on the splitter makes contact.

Image 2: The foam on the splitter. I'm pretty sure it's there for a reason.

Image 3: Notice how the engine cover takes up the ever-increasing gap between the splitter and TMIC as you go from the back towards the front of the car. That is >1" easily.

Image 4: Rao, I didn't see any signs of my heater hose coming in contact with the shock tower, but that little cover had worn a nice little spot through the paint! Will have to take steps to fix that this spring.

1.thumb.jpg.0ad66b9a5040ecbfe3cd02138876073d.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.a2b82bc444ae1721a58f81b7fe21da1f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.d3cab72407ade5f2ff17c0815942e745.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.458022a1db61f23a35c05d7e98710063.jpg

Image 4: Rao, I didn't see any signs of my heater hose coming in contact with the shock tower, but that little cover had worn a nice little spot through the paint! Will have to take steps to fix that this spring.

It is not the heater hose, it is the fuel lines rattling. I wrapped some heater hose around the fuel line to stop the rattle.

As for the rest, you guys enjoy arguing :lol:

*yawn*

well i guess if it doesn't show up on a dyno chart then there is no reason for it! Might as well get rid of the suspension, brakes, glass, paint, HVAC... :lol:

Most dynos are not traveling 60 mph down the road either.:)

Trust me, I installed my Perrin TM and tested the surface temp of the core with and without the cover......it was always colder with the cover in place.

I understand that dyno nubmers dont mean much, but you have no way of proving that it actually does do something do you? Other than saying it does.

You right dynos dont simulate 60mph down the road, but when do you get the worst heat soak? When you not moving through the air fast.

First, consider GTTuner's real life experiences and measurements.

Second, (and this is in no way an attempt at showing off) I am a mechanical engineer who intuitively understands the reasons why the professional automotive engineers at Subaru made this decision. Also, I have pictures to back up my thinking and reasoning. GTTuners measurements lends credibility to the only rational hypothesis.

You are the one saying it's useless without any evidence. Better yet, you made the baseless claim that it wouldn't show up on a dyno and therefore isn't necessary, yet you acknowledge that a dyno isn't the be-all and end-all measure of performance.

Like i said you right the dyno isnt the end all be all measurement. But you havent shown any real evidence to prove your right, you have some measurements, ok they arent measuring the air temp to see if it actually is cooler with the cover on, so they show nothing reguarding our dispute.

Engine cover wars!!!!!!!!!

LOL, im not trying to say hes wrong as i have no real proof that im right, all im asking for is some real results if someone is 100% sure they are right which he seems like he is i wuld think they would have something proving there thinking.

There were soo many dicusions on the f-body forums abotu if ram air v non ram air added power. They even compared sealed ram air setups to non ram air at simulated speeds up to 70mph and the biggest diff they got was 1.2hp all the others were less. I know thats trying to feed air into the intake and this is trying to cool a intercooler but its simular setup.

Archived