LegacyGT.com

Fog Light Question

aldog1330

One thing I noticed about my car the last couple nights. When I turn the fog lights on, they don't seem to illuminate the road in front of me much more than the low beams already do, but they do manage to light up the peak of the roof on the house (which is 25 feet in the air, driveway runs down next to it, and I'm parked pointing at the side of it). The peak of the house isn't lit up too bright, but it still seams like the fog lights aren't adjusted right. Has anyone else noticed this?

mine are working fine and pointing in the correct location. Have you tried getting out and looking at them from the front to see where they are focused. You can usually adjust most lights to some degree, not sure about these though, as i have not taken a close look. May want to check them out. Maybe they have moved a little...

I've adjusted mine, now they light up the road a lot better. To adjust the fog lights on the legacy you have to take off the plastic trim surrounding the foglihts. To do this you have to pry the trim with a screwdriver while covering it with a rag to avoid scratching, there are two notches on the top part of the trim. Insert the screwdriver into the notch then push down on the screwdriver and then pull. You have to do this for both notches, once you released the tabs on the top, slide the plastic trim towards the center of the car then pull it out. The adjuster screw is in the top inside part of the foglights. Turn it clockwise to raise the lights. Sorry I don't have any pics but I hope this helps. :) While I was at it, I replaced the bulbs with PIAA super plasma, the bulb type is H3.

[quote name='Deer Killer']It doesn't sound useful to me to be able to see the first 3 feet in front of the fog lights and nothing else...[/quote] Me neither, but that's how I understand it. If you shine it higher, it'll just reflect off the fog anyway.

[quote name='bemani'][quote name='Deer Killer']It doesn't sound useful to me to be able to see the first 3 feet in front of the fog lights and nothing else...[/quote] Me neither, but that's how I understand it. If you shine it higher, it'll just reflect off the fog anyway.[/quote] But if you have really low lights that point slightly upward, they should be able to cut under the fog to light up objects in the distance.

I've used the PIAA Ion Crystal bulbs in the past and I really like them. They are the brightest amber bulbs I have ever seen and cut fog/snow very well. [url]http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H3.html[/url] [quote]PIAA’s patented Ion Crystal technology is a great way to improve your visibility in inclement weather. Ion Crystal puts out an amber/yellow light that is less reflective than white light thus greatly reducing the amount of glare in extreme fog. [/quote]
:spin:

[quote name='Deer Killer']They are supposed to be like that, they are FOG lights.. you shouldn't be driving around with them on in clear weather.[/quote] Correct. In fact here in Oz it's illegal and people (not me) have been pulled over and fined for doing so.

[quote name='bemani']I thought fog lights are suppose to point close to the car and low to the ground, so it doesn't actually shine into the fog??? Is that right?[/quote] This is right. In the ideal world there is always a foot or so right at ground level, even in heavy fog, where you can see. Barring that, the fog lights (notice how big the spread is on the beam) can illuminate the highway stripes, enabling you to follow those by light of the fogs. On the WRX, with the 9007s and big fogs, some turned the fogs into poor man's driving lights. On the Legacy, with the very effective projectors, the fogs shouldn't be necessary. Kevin

[quote name='D-2.5-GT']lets be honest though, i think the fog lights on this car are more for cosmetic purposes rather than to cut through thick fog, they aren't that bright... :o[/quote] Couldn't agree more... The fog lights on the Legacy GT seem to be mostly for looks. In real heavy fog it's nice to be able to dim the headlights and use just the fogs - otherwise the headlights illuminate the fog instead of the road and it's like driving inside a pillow. On the Leg GT the fog lights turn off when I turn off the headlights. That was not the case on previous cars I've owned with effective fog lights. In this funky, rainy, cool summer I've driven a couple of times in dense fog and decided the fog lights are really for detecting raised manhole covers, box turtles or lost contact lenses right in front of the bumper. :)

• 6 years later...

Archived