LegacyGT.com

fm direct connection sirius satellite radio 05 legacy

smarcus3

I have a 2005 subaru legacy with auto hvac and wanted to add satellite radio. I saw that they off an FM direct connection kit. Would this work and what would be entailed. I have installed all new speakers and subs so Im comfy with ripping the car apart.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't done it before but looked into this option. When you pull the radio out it is obvious what the antenna is. I'm sure that it comes with directions, the hardest part is pulling the radio which is easy.

okay. i have done that many time so it wont be bad at all. i think ill try the power connect first since then there is no install needed then try direct connect. thanks for the help.

Clark is right wireless stinks, I am a former mobile installer and have installed lots of sat radios, including my current Legacy. I have an extra FM modulater like the one listed on the sirius site that I sell you for $10. You will need Both in and out antenna adapters, which you can pick up at your local Best Buy or electronics retailer.

I am currently using my sirius in the aux input of my RF 360.5, but I dislike the seperate volume knob. Would I see a serious (haha) reduction in sound quality using the direct FM connection?

Maybe slightly, I will sound just like you were listening to a radio station.

what adapters to i need to use the fm direct connect. could someone post a link? i just don't want to buy the wrong thing

thanks for all the replies.

I'll try to give you the link to metra so you can see what you need, but it was giving me trouble. So just in case it dosent work you need an Metra part # 40-SB30. It is an antenna adapter for in and out of the factory radio.

http://www.metraonline.com/fit.aspx

2005 and later Legacy/Outback use Subaru's proprietary antenna connector. Most aftermarket gear uses standard "Motorola" plugs.

Here's a picture of the two adapters to convert from Subaru to Motorola:

1254450268_Metra40-SB30.thumb.jpg.4d50a912f7c504bbe2fc7fccf867d78c.jpg

(click to see larger image)

Model numbers:

Metra:

40-SB10 -- car to aftermarket radio (upper cable in picture)

40-SB20 -- aftermarket antenna to OEM radio (lower cable in picture)

40-SB30 -- kit with both adapters

Scosche:

SUAB -- car to aftermarket radio

SUARB -- aftermarket antenna to OEM radio

American Intl.:

SU-6 -- car to aftermarket radio

SU-7 -- aftermarket antenna to OEM radio

SU-10 -- kit with both adapters

I have both genders available too.

As others have said, FM modulators are inferior, especially if you drive into a city with many and/or strong FM stations. For the price of the modulator and antenna adapters, you should look at one of the aux-in mods -- Jazzy, Leptronix, or DIY soldering (search for threads). It's no more difficult than installing new speakers, and you'll be much happier with the results vs. a modulator.

Archived