LegacyGT.com

Fluctuating fuel pressure, effecting my AFR's

Anyone had there fuel pressure fluctuate around 10 psi or so?

A little history: I have been trying to track down my AF learning and WOT AFR issue for months now. I thought MAF plug was bad, replaced and that did not fix anything. Then noticed sometimes my voltage was lower/higher, but I fixed that for the most part, and after further testing noticed that my voltages did not really change with my AF learning and WOT AFRs, so I eliminated that as something I thought could effect the sensor readings.

Today: I finally caught my fuel pressure in the middle of one of my cars AF learning swings. It was down to 30-32 PSI at idle, I removed the vac line, and it went up to 42 PSI. From the FSM I should see 38psi at idle and around 48 with vac line removed. As a good note: when my pressure is at 38psi, my AF learning is perfect, as is my AFRs under WOT situations. I can drive around for a while with perfect fuel pressures and AF learning around -.78, then come home and leave a while later, and have 30-32psi, and as high as 8% AF learning. I tested my fuel pump voltages, and they do seem to be good.

I am wondering if my fuel pressure regulator is bad, but not totally failed, its just "wigging" out and causing 10psi swings? Anyone had this before? Only other thing I can think of is if the pump is wigging out, but its only 1 year old DW 65c...

740 sidefeed injectors and DW 65c fuel pump, pump is powered straight from a relay, so no fuel pump controler, however the ground is still ran through the controller.

I am considering replacing the controller....but was going to lean towards FPR first

Well, installed a brand new oem filter and all new O rings today, dident help my fuel pressure even 1psi. Also installed a extra gauge I had to check the one I had, it's identical. 32 psi at idle, 42 with no vac. After that I installed a used but good fuel pump controller to make sure that was good. No change

Guess I'll try new fuel pressure regulator unless someone's got another idea!

Installed fuel pressure regulator. Pressure was perfect for a while, I got all exited it was fixed.....then it dropped again and started fluctuating :-( I guess only thing left is my DW 65c shit out after less than a year? I mean it still works, but maybe for some reason its tweaking out?

Has been replaced:

In tank filter and pump sock and all O rings

Fuel pump control module

Fuel pressure regulator (entire assembly not just regulator)

Fuel pressure gauge (to make sure gauge was working)

Surge tank to fuel tank gasket? Not sure what gasket that is...but I did replace every O ring in the fuel pump assembly yes, there is a total of 4. I have had the sock on the pump since day one of install, and I replaced it with a new one when I installed the new OEM Subaru in tank filter as well.

Oh haha, that gasket, I was thinking of one that holds fuel pressure. Yes I replaced that the first time I installed the DW pump, and again last week when I did the filter and new O rings. Im not gunna risk leaking fuel over a $10 part. Thanks for verifying tho!

Talked to DW today. He told me my issue could very well be the pump since I have replaced everything else. He also admitted that they did have some faulty pumps come in a while ago that have issues with varying amp draw and caused a symptom like I have, but assured me none of those pumps left there wear house. :rolleyes:

Said I can send it in for free and they will test it, but the wait is currently 2 weeks out.....

Did a amp draw test as DW suggested. 5.3A at 33% (about 7.5v)and 38psi, 9.7A at 100% (about 13.5v) and 46psi. At 40psi and 13.5v they advertise 11.4A, and at 50psi they say 11.9. If I remember correctly less draw is fine, you just dont want more.....

This test was done when I had the higher fuel pressure, now to wait for my lower fuel pressure issue to come up again and test the draw.

• 2 years later...

Archived