LegacyGT.com

Flat key blank?

Hi everyone -

I did a search for this using the keywords "flat key," "flat key blank," "flat blank," and "key blank," and I haven't come up with anything definitive.....

What I'm looking for is:

(1) Positive confirmation that someone here has had a "flat key" (think of the '05 Impreza Valet/secondary keys - a key that is completely flat, so as to be able to fit in your wallet) made

and

(2) if-possible, the make/number of that particular blank.

I've tried to obtain a flat key backup for my wallet at 3 local hardware stores, all to no avail. It seems that the '05+ LGTs are not listed in the various books.

In one of them, an independent shop, the staff was actually nice enough to have searched for alternatives, and ended-up using the blank for an '04 Impreza in an attempt to get a functional match. The key actually went in "all the way" into the driver's side keyhole (the only one we have), but it failed to turn the cylinder. :( The staff member from this small independent store actually accompanied me out to my vehicle, and tried the key with me.....

I only need this key to open the door, in case I get really stupid and somehow manage to lock my toddler in the car. :eek::spin::redface::lol::p I do not need a chipped/transponder key, nor would I prefer such, as I would like to keep this key in my wallet for emergency use.

The past posts that I've searched up had several members who said "what I'd do is to get a flat-key made," but no-one, it seems, posted anything definitive about this.

I'd like to stay away from things like eBay - the shipping cost alone would not be something that I think would be worth paying, particularly as it seems that such blanks are not yet listed in any manufacturers' references, and I would doubt the validity of any seller's claims for a functional match. A local match would be preferable, which is why I'm asking about either confirmation of a functional flat-key being made and the details of the blank.

Thanks in advance for any help! :wub:

-Allen

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Allen,,That key CAN be found and cut.It's not that unusual.Cole and Ilco(key blank manufacturers)both make them.

Go to a locksmith and tell him to try some older Subaru Legacy,Impreza,Forester blanks,,, 98-02 maybe.

OR,Tell him to look at older Nissan blanks to cut,same years.

I used to cut keys and work on locks,and I've cut those keys before.

^ Thank you *very* much as well!!!! :D

Oh, and heck, bro, you'll laugh - until you cry because you can't find them! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I had a copy made at Home Depot for like $1.50. The guy just confirmed I really want one without immobilizer and presto, made me one.

It says HY-KO DA34 made in Taiwan :)

Thanks yet again, everyone! :D I knew I could count on my good brothers and sisters here!

Sponge - That's weird...I'll definitely have to look into that. I've got three immobilizer/transmitter keys, but no flat. Maybe it got buried in the back of the manual or something, but I honestly don't think so, as I truly read that thing front-to-back. I'll definitely have to check into this. Nothing beats free! :lol:

unclemat - Thanks a bunch, bro!

BrownBoy - Noted as well. In case I can't get anyone's previous suggestions to work, that'll definitely be something for me to look into.

Thanks again, EVERYONE! :)

^ That's a good point. :lol: Dealer rarely equals freebie! :lol:

Archived