LegacyGT.com

Fixing Scratches and Touch up Paint

I'm planning on fixing a bunch of scratches on my black 05' Legacy GT and a pencil sized paint chip. To do this I would like to get the best scratch fixing compound and most accurate color matching touch up paint. Anyone have any proven success they would like to share?

I just placed an order from paintscratch and hope to have the kit in by this weekend ---.... I've heard good things from them and hope to be able to post my own positive comments soon.

Looks like you too are RBP. What kit or items did you order?

This past winter was really tough on my RBP wagon with all the skiing trips and my wife was pointing out all the scratches the other day.

Cheers,

Mike

Looks like you too are RBP. What kit or items did you order?

This past winter was really tough on my RBP wagon with all the skiing trips and my wife was pointing out all the scratches the other day.

Cheers,

Mike

I ordered the spray can kit with the paint and the clear coat.... But it's not for my car (although ive got some scratches that need attention)... i actually bought the kit for my motorcycle... I want to change colors. :)

if it goes well, then i'll probably end up painting more stuff in the future.

I don't know about the other colors, but the brilliant silver metalic is almost impossible to touch up. When the car was about 6 month old; my son drove his bike down the passenger side from the back door to the back bumper. His handlebar took the paint down to the black primer. No dent just a nice 18 inch gouge.

I've been painting for about 20 years and I couldn't get it to match for nothin. It looked like I put tin foil on the scratch and magnified it 100X. I took it to the dealer and the paint guy there tried to buff it out and see what he could do. He tried to touch it up a couple times and finally said he would have to re-paint the roof and both quarters to get it right. Um, NO! I can live with a scratch, but I sure don't want a two tone front to rear paint job unless I'm going for a fade to black.

I just take a silver crayon and rub it up and down to fill the scratch in and buff it out. The wax in the crayon will at least fill the void and keep it from rusting. I just have to color it in a couple times a year but... The silver is a huge pain since most of the color comes from the metalic flake and if the flakes lay wrong it turns into a completely different color.

Let's kick this pig!

You are getting a little confused. There are 3 basic layers to automotive paint. Primer goes onto the bare metal, the color goes on top of the primer, and clearcoat covers the color.

Is your scratch like a scuff on top of the paint or does it go down into the paint so you can see primer or bare metal? If the scratch is only in the clearcoat then you can use a polish (ScratchX) to basically sand down a little bit of the clearcoat. That will level off the clearcoat around the scratch and make is disapear. If the scratch went into the color or primer then you will need to replace those layers of paint by touching them up.

If you are still a little confused about what approach you should be using post up a picture of your scratch and someone can tell you what needs to be done.

I tried taking pics, but the car is black so the pics have huge reflections and its hard to see the scratches. But I applied ScratchX to the scratches, and the little ones went away, but most of them are still there. I have a had time telling if the scratches have gone through the clearcoat to the basecoat or not. I know they haven't gone down to the primer layer. To give a visual, they are white scratches on a black car.

Would applying a basecoat touchup paint followed by a layer of clearcoat be the best thing to do at this point (except for repainting)?

Try pointing at the scratch with your finger so the camera can focus on the tip of your finger and pick up the paint imperfections. Preferably in natural lighting without the flash on.

It kind of sounds like you have scratches in the clearcoat. I don't want to say go crazy with the scratchX, but it does take a LOT of elbow grease to work well.

so, i bougt my ABP lgt used, and apparently the previous owner had a big scratch, so they decided to cover it with some rediculous bumper adhesive things ugh. they are really bothering me i think i am going to have to take them off soon..

Okay here they are.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dd04b3127cce82d7d106416200000016108AYtWzZi3cOL

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dd04b3127cce82d7d19e41fa00000016108AYtWzZi3cOL

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dd04b3127cce82d7d67f018000000016108AYtWzZi3cOL

damn, it might help if you washed your car too!! the pics look like scratches in the clear. depending on how deep depends on how much elbow grease you have to use. also, multiple coats of wax are very good at hiding scratches. if you want more defined pictures of your scratches hold a light over them at an angle. if you can see them more defined then the camera should too. sans the flash of course.

Archived