LegacyGT.com

First USDM review!

Courtesy of [url=http://www.subdriven.com/artman/publish/article_177.shtml]SubDriven[/url]. I also read elsewhere that May 7th was the earliest that SOA wanted press to release their reviews, and this looks to be the case.

I guess it's just a "first drive" review but it didn't seem overly detailed on the driving experience, and the writer seemed less than positive (and this is from a Subaru site) or maybe I'm just reading to much into it.... Bring on the rest of the reviews..

Schweet! Good post, good catch... off to read! :) Ok, just read it. Not too impressive, actually. I was expecting more. The reviewer commented about good steering response, but went into no detail after saying "there's no true sport suspension.. blah, blah." Did he drive both the standard car and the GT back to back? Isn't the GT supposed to have more performance oriented springs and dampers? Also, all the pics showed the Limited's... leather interiors, etc. If the writer was having headroom trouble, why not get into one without a sunroof? Not a perfect review, indeed.

Not a perfect review I'd defnitely agree, but it's a start. They're usually the first out of the gates as it appears, so I think others will follow. Besides, doesn't Subaru have some press events coming up midd of this month?

A fairly positive review, but disappointing. Made it sound like the leg is greatly improved but still not in the same class as some of its competitors. The guy must have thought the previous legacy really sucked! The reviewer didn't seem overly impressed with the power/acceleration, did he? If you're in the right gear, you'll be in the clear to pass; oh boy! This line was disturbing: "the lack of a true sport suspension option will be a bit disappointing for those seeking a WRX in a bigger package", since I am basically hoping for a WRX in a bigger and more grown up package.

You guys are out of your minds. :lol: That review reads VERY positively, as regards power, looks, fit and finish. I view the "not a WRX" comments to be good. Were it a WRX, it would be a step backwards, IMHO, as I view the WRX as rather harsh and unrefined. His caveats about being in the right gear apply to any turbocharged car, and he makes a point of saying very good things about the fat torque curve and acceleration ability. I don't think that anybody is going to have in-print orgasms over the car. It just isn't that kind of vehicle. Kevin

Here are some excerpts: (with parenthetical comments) This new 2.5GT does not fail to impress in its drive either. The 2.5GT provides huge improvements over the previous generation car. (Ahem!) With the turbo motor, the car is simply wanting and willing to go down the highway. Passing is greatly simplified with the fat torque curve. (Yay!) Of course, this goes without saying that you need to be in the right gear. (Duh) It’s not as much of an issue as it is in the lower displacement WRX, however. Larger displacement aside, this new 2.5T is still not the kind of engine you loaf at 40mph in 5th gear and expect brisk acceleration, though once you move into the meaty torque band, you are in the clear. The engine and drive train seem overwhelmingly smoother than the previous generation, with a significant reduction in noise, vibration and harshness that often accompanied previous models, especially when pushing them to their limits. (Sounds pretty positive to me.) How are the dynamics? The dynamics of the suspension and chassis provide a suitable level of compromise for the average driver, providing a reassuring feeling at a normal pace and a predictable feeling at faster speeds, all the while remaining comfortable. (This means that people will love it.) While both the previous 2.5GT and the new turbocharged 2005 2.5GT provide great chassis and suspensions for the average consumer (Helllooo, target market!), the lack of a true sport suspension option will be a bit disappointing for those seeking a WRX in a bigger package. Unfortunately, the Legacy still retains a few flaws that affect our experience. Primarily, the new car fails to adequately fit larger drivers, especially in the area of headroom. For this writer, a comfortable position couldn’t be found, but I do prefer to sit more upright. (Note that he only mentions one flaw, despite claiming a "few." And the caveat that he likes to sit upright.) Details on the new Legacy are more apparent and look much improved over the previous generations. Higher quality materials seem to be used throughout, ranging from leather, to the textured roof material. The better-integrated console feels more consistent and smooth and combined with new instruments provide a refined but comfortable cabin. The exterior carries this theme of refinement by way of the stunning new design that departs from anything seen previously from Subaru on these shores. No matter how striking this new Legacy may look, feel, and drive, Subaru's biggest challenge will be the competition against which the legacy is positioned. With Subaru aiming its sights on cars such as the Infiniti G35, Acura TSX, and Volvo S40, the future will not be easy for the new Legacy. However, with its combination of useable power, accommodating interior and overall refinement from the previous generation, it should make this an interesting year for those consumers shopping in the mid-size sedan market. Combined with a price of $25,995 for the 2.5GT and $29,695 for the 2.5GT Limited, the Legacy 2.5GT marks a nice blend of performance, comfort, and refinement in the mid-sized sedan marketplace. (He's right about the marketing challenge.) Kevin

OK, just read it. Sounds like the writer is trying to really tone down any enthusiasm. The comments on the Forester were extremely subdued as he wrote that, "Other cars, including the Forester and Baja, were offered with a 215hp horizontally opposed 4-cylinder turbo with a gracious torque curve. This engine choice offered brisk acceleration and transformed former utilitarian vehicles into cars people enjoy driving." As for the Outback, "Combined with the turbocharged engine, the car can move you along easily and predictably. Not only that, but driving the car with the turbocharged motor makes one wonder if the Outback, or any car – er, truck - should be able to go that fast." and then summarizes that the "Outback provides brisk acceleration". Acceleration to 60 under 5.5 sec and that's brisk? What about the steering ratio being like the WRX and not the STi with its 15:1? As for the suspension, I'm not surprised at all. The US WRX isn't the same as the non-US spec suspension, so it is reasonable to expect that the stock Legacy GT suspension will be even softer. Did somebody expect the JDM GT suspension?

I think the review was very positive overall, but slanted from the viewpoint of someone who loves the WRX and was looking for more of the same. I think this guy thinks refinement and class are dirty words. In other words, he doesn't really appreciate those things, but acknowledges that they are there. In spades. I also think the writer was trying to convey objectivity, and not look like too much of a homer, given that he's writing for a Subaru specific site.

I didn't think the review was terribly informative. The comment about the car not having enough oompf when accelerating from 40 MPH while in 5th gear. Umm, duh??!! :roll: Hopefully the reviews to come will be a little more forthcoming in details and opinions from more extensive testing. Cheers, HeavyB

Here's another first drive review at [url=http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/101838/article.html?tid=edmunds.h..reviews.rightbanner.1.*] Edmunds[/url]. A worrying quote to me was "The lightest Legacy GT sedan now weighs just over 200 pounds more than a standard 227-hp Impreza WRX." I had thought it was going to be closer to 100lbs? :(

Wahhhh! Wahhhh! :lol: I encourage everyone to read the Edmunds review at this link: [url]http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/101838/article.html?tid=edmunds.h..reviews.rightbanner.1.*[/url] It is informative, well-done, and effusive about handling, braking, acceleration and overall performance. They like the seats, and say that the turbo models will have seats with additional shoulder bolstering, which means anyone who sat in a base car (as I did) and liked the seats, should have even more to like. The other thing is that they allow the Legacy to exist in an evaluative world unencumbered by "I thought it was going to accelerate like a JATO," or "what no racing seats or rock-hard suspension." They just evaluate the car based on what they know. A first drive that positive is very impressive. My ultimate speculation is that the Legacy will be a car for people who aren't numbers people. It won't be about weight, or 0-60 times, or skidpad ratings. Instead, it will be about a synergistic driving experience, judging from everything I have read, or that Paul Hansen has had to say (including, the JDM suspension options will be too hard for USDM roads, and the Legacy's lightness means they can use less-still springs and dampers to improve ride quality, while still having very good handling). Kevin

I agree. Great review. :D Now I need to quit reading these boards every day and it will seem like it gets here quicker. I think I've heard a metophor for this, something about a watched pot never boiling. :wink: -Ian

From that Edmunds review, "As the H6 is intended for a more relaxed buyer than the 2.5-liter turbo, you can only get it in the Outback sedan or wagon and only with the five-speed automatic transmission." Did anybody else catch that? I'm thinking that is a typo, or are we going to really have a sedan/truck? I see that it's only available in the 3.0R version. Stinks that there's no McIntosh.

Anybody who has need for an Outback will need the cargo capacity as well. I guess that's the only way SoA figured they should market a 3.0R sedan. I just really, really disagree with their strategy.

Archived