LegacyGT.com

First impressions of my 2007 spec.B against my 2006 spec.B.

First impressions of my 2007 spec.B against my 2006 spec.B. I drove the 2007 in the rain about one mile from the dealer to my home.

The 2007's interior is much darker. I prefer the 2006's red interior.

The 2007's six-speed gearbox is noticeably smoother and easier to shift than the 2006's short-throw five-speed linkage and the clutch is much lighter.

The 2007 has many desirable improvements, some of which are immediately apparent, such as the folding rear seatback, the more informative instrument panel, XM radio, and iPod compatibility. Other improvements may be even more important, but rarely perceived, such as VDC. (I appreciated ESP on my two Audis.)

The 2007's diamond grey paint is nice, even to me. My first choice is always pearl white, but I do like the 2007's dark grey more than the 2006's silver paint.

The 2007 has SI, which, I hope, will make the car easier to launch from rest and easier to drive in stop-and-go traffic.

The 2007 has no rear spoiler, a pretentious and useless styling cliche that I always disliked on the 2006 and on my 1992 Subaru SVX LS-L.

The 2007 came with a sunroof deflector, which I am likely to remove because I don't like its appearance and it's probably not effective enough to overcome its ugliness.

I wish the spec.B had the Impreza WRX STI's front seats.

By the way, I will soon sell the 2006 to my brother. I usually never sell a car to anyone I know, but I am confident that the 2006 will serve him well.

I'll post an update in a month or so when the car has 1,200 miles.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish the spec.B had the Impreza WRX STI's front seats.

IMHO, the STi's front seats aren't very comfortable/supportive. My '03 WRX seats were better... Then again, I fit/prefer the mold of the JDM STi seats. ;)

Enjoy the new car. :)

-Mike-

1. The VDC never lit. In my previous answer to this question, I thought that the solid green triangle which lit now and then was the VDC light, but I was wrong. That signal tells the driver to shift to the next higher gear to maximize fuel economy.

2. I liked the 2006. It's a fine car.

I doubt you will notice the VDC just like you dont notice the ESP engaging for Quattro on Audi's. It is just just used to apply the brakes on a slipping wheel.

How is the Navi?

Is the clutch the same as the 06? Very short engagement? Thats the only issue I have w/ the Legacy compared to my very high engaging WRX clutch.

How is the MPG dial? Does it tell you how long till a fill up, or is it just saying you are getting better, neutral, or lower MPG?

As both the 2006 and the 2007 look like all other spec.B sedans in North America, I have no photographs to post. I sold the SVX about five years. What a cool car that was! If Subaru ever reintroduces a car comparable to the SVX, I'd likely buy one.

The 2007's clutch is much lighter than the 2006's clutch.

The navigation software is 2004 v3, which, I think, is the same software that the 2006 has. I like it, even though it doesn't have all the new streets in our region.

IMHO, the STi's front seats aren't very comfortable/supportive. My '03 WRX seats were better... Then again, I fit/prefer the mold of the JDM STi seats. ;)

Enjoy the new car. :)

-Mike-

Exactly right. The 02-03 WRX seats were perfect. Subaru then widened it for the broader-back-sided public here, and messed up a perfect seat design, whose only downside was a slight lack of lumbar support.:(

Even the new STi seats are the widened variety.

I doubt you will notice the VDC just like you dont notice the ESP engaging for Quattro on Audi's. It is just just used to apply the brakes on a slipping wheel.

In the pre-2005 Outback with VDC I drove, a yellow light was flashing VDC I think as I tried to put it into a slide in a frozen ski area parking lot.

Also it does not apply the brakes to a slipping wheel your confusing traction control. What VDC or ESP does is sense the car going off course in a turn and lets off on engine power. While at the same moment applying the brake to the proper wheel which usually is a single rear one causing the the vehicle to pivot into the proper direction. You really notice it as its happening on VW/Audi or Subaru I drove.

In the pre-2005 Outback with VDC I drove, a yellow light was flashing VDC I think as I tried to put it into a slide in a frozen ski area parking lot.

Also it does not apply the brakes to a slipping wheel your confusing traction control. What VDC or ESP does is sense the car going off course in a turn and lets off on engine power. While at the same moment applying the brake to the proper wheel which usually is a single rear one causing the the vehicle to pivot into the proper direction. You really notice it as its happening on VW/Audi or Subaru I drove.

VDC - VDC constantly monitors vehicle stability. It senses impending loss of control, and applies individual brakes and/or reduces engine power to help keep you on your intended path.

TCS - This system helps avoid loss of traction. TCS applies a braking force to a slipping wheel or wheels to help maximize traction.

So does this mean that VDC is like stability control, and TCS is used w/ the Torsen Diff and applies the brakes to prevent tire slipping which would disable the whole axle since its Torsen?

lighter, but is the travel the same? it annoys me that the OBXT clutch engages so fast.

I agree. Hadn't stalled a MT in 20 (including '04 WRX wagon) years til my '06 SpecB, but have stalled that car 3 times in 6 months. Embarrassing :lol: !!!

John

The 2007's six-speed gearbox is noticeably smoother and easier to shift than's the 2006's short-throw five-speed linkage and the clutch is much lighter.

do you find yourself having to shift more frequently in city driving or about the same? if more frequently, does it make driving in the city more of a pain, or more fun, or about the same?

Until we actually get some part numbers we won't know for sure but do you think the suspension is slightly stiffer? From my test drive I thought it was but my mind could have been influenced by some posts that stated it was before I drove it.

I've like my 07B. I really like the seats too. I've sat in STI seats (USDM) and my 07 B is better. I mean, for crying out loud, I don't need to wrack my neck backwards at like 75 deg to hit the headrest in my B like I did in the STI seats.

I do think its a bit more shifting in the city than I'd like for the city, but I'm not commuting in the city all the time. This thing is real nice on the highway too. It likes pulling pretty nicely even in 6th. But all that rowing is acceptable for the whole of the car and what its like to drive it!...but this is coming from someone who just got rid of a truck too...so take it for what its worth. :lol:

And I haven't even breached 4k on the tach....well except for 1 time... :lol:

IMHO, the 06B interior was ill-conceived...a poor attempt at making a HEY LOOK AT ME interior that backfired.

1. Although the VDC triangular green warning light has lit a few times as I drove through heavy showers, I couldn't feel its actuation.

where is your triangular green light illuminating? I get a green triangle in the tach when its time to shift for economy. I can't imagine that the VDC is lighting EVERY time I should shift. I'm pretty sure the VDC icon or light is a symbol of a car with skid marks behind it. And its yellow.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Archived