LegacyGT.com

First Impressions

I just took delivery of my 05 MT LGT LMT wagon. It was a tough decision to get to this point. I'd had an 02 WRX Cobb Stage II Sedan, and I loved it- fast, noisy (listen to that turbo!), tight, and firm.

First, I almost bought an 06 STI, but, with 2 tween kids, skiing trips, etc., thought the LGT wagon would be the practical choice. I'd read a lot about 'em here and elsewhere, but, aside from a placid low rev test drive of a Spec B, never saw my car before it arrived.

My wife has had an 05 2.5 XT MT OB since the summer. Although a great car- fast, tight, great looking- it still produces the clutch stench on occasion, and can get the dread studder, if provoked.

On my first look at my RBP wagon with Taupe interior (I didn't have much choice in color/interior- last MT GT LMT wagon in the state), I was struck by how beautiful a vehicle it is. Pictures just don't capture that RBP color, and, although I was kind of dreading the taupe, it's really quite nice.

Inside, the car is tight, much softer suspension than the WRX (this will change, at least to some degree via upcoming mods), with a feeling of quality and luxury I really didn't expect. The turbo boost is instantaneous, in contrast to the WRX, at least as it was stock. If I didn't know this was a turbo car, I don't think I'd have suspected it was.

No studder; no clutch stench.

In short, I'm pleasantly amazed.

Don't let Jedi hear you say that. :lol: He's like candyman, say his name 3 times and that the GT is better than the OB and he'll come a runnin :lol:

Not better, necessarily- I love the OB. Just a matter of personal preference. I can't really help being a little biased: she chose her car; I chose mine.

Congrats and welcome!

I'm surprised they let you test a Spec B... :lol:

Me too, but I knew the dealer pretty well, and I'll bet he figured I was one of his top prospects for unloading it.

Only had like 9 miles on it when we went out.

Day 4 Update: Drove in to work for an early conference at about 6:20 AM. Faster than usual commute with avg. speed on the highway of about 82 in the 65s and 72 in the 50 zones. I continue to be amazed at the responsiveness, smoothness, handling, power, and quality of the LGT. At stock, it blows the WRX Cobb Stage II away in most areas. Nice rounded turn into a 4 lane stip allows for some 4 wheel drift: absolutely stable with Blizzack LM-25s.

If you really enjoyed the nicer ride and "more luxury feel" don't mess with springs and whatnot. I too had a WRX ('03) and the feel of my new 06LGT is just amazing compared to it. I don't really miss the long uncomfortable rides at all.

While I do like some softness, I actually liked the feel of the WRX, also. WRX made me feel like I was more closely in contact with the vehicle's reaction, more feel for the road conditions, and, even on long rides, unless I had a headache, I never felt uncomfortable. I'm afraid I've already ordered some Ion Performance springs.

I wouldn't be afraid that you ordered them. To each his own. Don't go by me, I'm just as impressed with my 06 LGT as you are. I've had it only 3 weeks and I'm just as impressed. At times I miss my WRX but I feel so grown up and luxurious in this thing it's crazy. To think I'm in a more comfy ride with more HP and Torque and less lag is amazing to me at times. Plus leather, heated seats, a moon roof, things that weren't even options on my WRX.

I just got my LGT yesterday and i love it. I thought i would hear the turbo more but that doesn't really bother me. Also after some semi- harddriving i noticed like a grind on my right rim. I never went through a pothole to my knowledge. Maybe my tire was low? I have the automatic and in the sport mode it feels a little faster. I am very pleased with the car on the highway, effortless acceleration. On the twisties it handled pretty well. Only things i would improve are the brakes (kinda weak) and I also have to agree with everyone on the stock tires. Other than that i love my LGT. By the way on my road trip today i got 25 mpg (Highway and some twisties)

Fellow Mainer,

I think you will find you will love this car in the Maine conditions. You will undoubtedly end up making modifications to the car to suit your desire to have even better performance. Good call on the AP. That is a big step in the right direction. Welcome to the board and I look forward to seeing you on the road. Get the Perrin drop in filter.....at least that way you can hear the turbo spool up as it should be.

Best,

BUK

Thanks, Buk.

Yeah, I'm lovin' this car. Drove up to Sugarloaf last night-great fun, even with the sometimes impenetrable fog!

Kids, skis, tons of ski stuff, etc. all in the car or on the roof rack, and it still drives like a sports car- incredible!

Can't wait to go to stage I, II, etc.

Also after some semi- harddriving i noticed like a grind on my right rim. I never went through a pothole to my knowledge. Maybe my tire was low?
Hey VT keep an eye on your tire pressure. On these low profile tires you will get a sloppy feel if they are not properly inflated. Some of us go a few pounds over the door-sill sticker numbers. I run 39 Front and 37 Rear for instance.

I have the automatic and in the sport mode it feels a little faster.
You are correct, sir. The upshifts occur at higher RPMs and the tranny will hold gears a few seconds longer before shifting up depending on your driving style.

Archived