LegacyGT.com

Where to find 17" steel rims for winter?

ikonomore

I checked out my local Nokian dealer (Steelcase Tire & Mag, great place); told me to come back 1st week of October for WR pricing (estimated at approx CDN$219/each). When I asked about 17" steel rims, I was told that they don't exist; 16" is as high as they go.

Yeah i would be surprised if the steel rims couldn't handle the forces. I think its hard to find them mostly because who wants 17" steel rims. If you are buying 17" or larger, usually you aren't getting steel rims. I don't know of any car that sells with 17" steel rims stock. I think basically 16" is as large as they go, you may be able to find something, but good luck!

[quote name='Huffer']Err...wouldn't 17" steelies be a waste of money? Because you'd be buying 17" snow tires for a steelie? you'd be better off buying some 16" alloys and getting good tires to match?[/quote] Isn't the conventional wisdom that no 16" alloy rims would fit, due to rotor size of the 05 GT? :?:

[quote name='nomoreS4'][quote name='Huffer']Err...wouldn't 17" steelies be a waste of money? Because you'd be buying 17" snow tires for a steelie? you'd be better off buying some 16" alloys and getting good tires to match?[/quote] Isn't the conventional wisdom that no 16" alloy rims would fit, due to rotor size of the 05 GT? :?:[/quote] Yes.

[quote name='nomoreS4'][quote name='Huffer']Err...wouldn't 17" steelies be a waste of money? Because you'd be buying 17" snow tires for a steelie? you'd be better off buying some 16" alloys and getting good tires to match?[/quote] Isn't the conventional wisdom that no 16" alloy rims would fit, due to rotor size of the 05 GT? :?:[/quote] By crike your right... :D Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding....and what do we have for a grand winner..... A one year supply of SPAM, yes thats right america's favoritie ham....tastes so good you could eat it right out of the can.... :lol:
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I definitely would like to down size but as the man said there isn't enough clearance for the rotors. On my Saab I go from 17"rims down to 15" steelies. For Blizzacks ws-50 and steelies it was just under $500 shipped to my door. If anyone does see an alloy under $100 in the 17" size that would fit the legacy that might also work. Thanx again, J

What would be the problem of putting the winters on the original wheels, it certainly would look nicer than steel rims. I will put mine on the original GT 17"s wheels. I'm also pretty sure that I will go with Nokians as Scandinavians know a thing or two about winter and snow!!!

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

It's better to buy a set of dedicated rims for snow tires; constantly changing tires on the rims tends to damage the rim's ability to hold pressure. Plus, all that salt does end up damaging the finish on your nice alloy rims. Not to mention hidden potholes, curbs, etc. So, the dilemma...use the stock rims for dedicated snow use, and buy $$$ rims for summer, or hunt down some cheap & nasty rims for winter? :? I've already upgraded my summer rubber to Goodyear F1's, very happy with them, no need for 18" rims/tires for me.

Don't know what the stock 17" rim costs in US. But I would have to pay EUR 250 per piece here in Germany. :cry: But I already made my decision: 18" with 225/40/18 on them for summer and (still waiting for delivery) 17" stock with 215/45/17 for winter (with winter tires of course) So I will hope that the stock rims hold up will during winter. But no way I will go for steelies! :)

OEM Legacy GT wheels are $565 CAD each. My dealer told me about a Subaru winter 17" mag wheel @ $375 CAD each. They do not have any 17" steel rims available.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Archived