LegacyGT.com

Finally! Arrived Wednesday, Picked up yesterday

For those who have been waiting with me, my LGT Ltd Wagon 5MT finally arrived and I picked it up yesterday. All those test drives and reading the posts here have been invaluable in getting up to speed on the things to be watching for and or modifying to suit my tastes.

First impressions:

1) as they say in Maine, "Wicked Fast"

2) Smooth clutch and drive line. Like the STS with Momo knob and the STI Pedals. Everything feels connected. Launching is easy and the shifts are snick, snick solid. Just need to remember that 4000 rpms comes up really fast so just tap the go pedal and then shift.

3) quiet on the road - makes the other Subes feel like 5 generations ago instead of just one or two

4) Took about 30 minutes or so and bedded in the brakes before I headed out for the trip home. Brakes are significant improvement over everything in the stable except perhaps the Forester which has pretty good brakes

5) handles really well. Tire pressure was set at 30/30 when I picked it up and had them reset it to 36/34 for the 100 mile drive home. Tires handle very well and stick much better than expected. Think I'll wait another season before I think about replacing these.

6) Interior/Exterior fit and finish are superb. One minor bump/dint above and ahead of the fuel door taken care of before I left - looked like it happened during/after shipment

7) Sound system with SW/Amp is very pleasing but think I'll turn the gain up a tad on the SW as the bass comes in way to little without a significant increase in volume. Doesn't leave much room for adjustment on the bass setting

8) Love the Satin White Pearl - gets very positive comments from people who stop and ask about the car. Will look even better when I get the Zaino Bros finish on

9) Did I say that the car is fast - yikes!

10) Very balanced and neutral steering with more than adequate feedback through the steering wheel. Will put the 20mm on today or tomorrow, depending on how the rest of the day turns out, using the F/R AVO bushings/endlinks

11) The moonroof is huge on the wagon but I wish I could put the old Subaru Windbreaker on ahead of the tilt feature. That accessory works great for both wind control and sunlight blocking because it is heavily smoked and did cut down on direct sunlight coming through a slightly opened sunroof interior shade

12) Can hear some turbo spool but typically, it's just a quiet steady pulse from the engine compartment and almost nothing from the exhaust. Family all remarked on how quiet the car was this morning - easy to carry on a normal conversation

13) Really like the adjustability of the power driver seat. I can finally get the seat exactly where it "fits" me vertically and horizontally. Since the rest of the family will not be driving this very much, should be fairly easy to keep it there. Of course, daughter no. 2 has the shortest legs, so she will be the one to really farcle up the horizontal, but I can work around that if I have to. My Maxima SE was the last car where I felt like the driver's seat was exactly where I wanted it to be.

14) Don't put much stock in the on-board computer but after about 160 miles, I'm averaging almost 20 mpg (19.9), which includes a recurring dash up to 4,000 rpm in 5th gear just to watch the needles swing and hear the quiet smoothness at that speed. I'm sure it would be better with more freeway time (sans dashes) but it's not even started to break-in yet so it should get better with time.

15) Car doors shut so solidly - can't hear any window rattle from the frameless windows as was mentioned in the car mag reviews.

More to follow but just wanted to let you all know that I finally have it after a two month wait. Well worth the delay. Now where's the snow?

Pics up later this week.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

glad to hear you're nothing but upbeat on your new LGT wagon.

it would be nice to try an hold a Southern Cal meet for Legacy owners. i know there's at least 5 or 6 that chat regularly here. maybe somewhere nice like San Juan Capistrano, Del Mar or somewhere else along the I-5 corridor.

it'll give me a good reason to take the Ortega Hwy ride which is a real hoot!

I waited two months and two days (8 weeks) for the car to arrive. Jeremy at Irvine Subaru was very good about keeping me appraised of the process. I'd do it again in a New York minute. Will probably get my wife's FXT or OXT from there too. But that will have to wait until the 06's come out.

SBT

Just got back from another loop around the county and it just keeps getting sweeter. Up to 21 mpg (computer indicated of course) but I try to keep it in the instant 25 mpg and above range as much as possible.

When this car gets on the boil, it is amazing just how quickly it accelerates. An AMG SL55 ? came zorching on the freeway tonight from an on-ramp and was intent on cutting everyone off, including me as he headed toward the left lane. I had about 1000 rpms left before I hit the 4K no go zone so I just tapped it a bit in 5th and shot forward. Caught the AMG flatfooted and he couldn't get over but the look on his face when we pulled up past him was priceless. I'm sure if he had been on the pedal there wouldn't have been anyway to prevent him from getting there first but it was still fun watching his reaction. Wrinkled brow... WTH was that? kind of look.

Quick question for those of you who have gotten your's from the truck (immediately after PDI), did you notice that the car pulls one way or another as you're driving? I checked the tire pressure again this AM and rebalanced it a tad but I'm still getting pulling. Just curious whether this is an alignment issue or something else.

SBT

Dale - congratulations and you finally got behind your car after 8 weeks of waiting, as what

Landshark has said we should have a Legacy meet, we always have a meet every Wednesday in Northridge there is at least 3 regular Legacy that show up and mostly WRX's and STi's

glad to hear you're nothing but upbeat on your new LGT wagon.

it would be nice to try an hold a Southern Cal meet for Legacy owners. i know there's at least 5 or 6 that chat regularly here. maybe somewhere nice like San Juan Capistrano, Del Mar or somewhere else along the I-5 corridor.

it'll give me a good reason to take the Ortega Hwy ride which is a real hoot!

Land Shark,

I've been pondering this for a few months now and I think this is doable, perhaps over the Spring break. BTW - I love the Ortega Highway and would have taken it home last night but wanted to make sure my wife got home okay down the 5 with her Forester.

I would love to meet in SJC, run over to Temecula, jump on the 215/60 to Palm Springs and then take the Palms to Pines highway up through the San Jacintos and back down to Temecula via Idylwild and Hemet. Great ride/run. Great scenery and definitely Subaru country.

SBT

....Quick question for those of you who have gotten your's from the truck (immediately after PDI), did you notice that the car pulls one way or another as you're driving? I checked the tire pressure again this AM and rebalanced it a tad but I'm still getting pulling. Just curious whether this is an alignment issue or something else.

SBT

Rotate your tires to the other side. If the car still pulls to the same side as before, have the alignment checked. If the car pulls to the other side after tire rotation, you may have a defective tire.

..... BTW - I love the Ortega Highway and would have taken it home last night but wanted to make sure my wife got home okay down the 5 with her Forester.........SBT

Ah yes, the Ortega Highway. I have a love/hate relationship with that highway. Love all the curves on it, hate it when opposing traffic veers over the line into my lane. That highway has seen its share of head on collisions.

How many miles do you have when you took delivery of your car? When I got mine it already has 100 miles (they got the car from another SoCal dealership and just drove it down to Irvine). When I had the car re-aligned after installing the springs the alignment shop told me that there is a difference in my car's caster that he can not cheat, he told me that it pobably hit a pothole or something that is why it is off or it is some kind of factory deffect.

According to the paperwork, the car had 9.7 miles on it when it came off the truck and 12.7 when I took delivery. The three miles were the PDI test drive. The dealership was really great about keeping the car parked and unavailable to the general public until I picked it up.

I'll try the tire rotation to see if that changes any dynamics.

SBT

Congrats Dale! Worth the wait, wasn't it! :)
Absolutely! So very glad I waited and that I ordered it exactly the way that I wanted it. The STI pedals feel like they'll heel-toe nicely and I really like the STI STS.

Subaru has a winner here. Just hope the whole world doesn't realize it all at the same time and make the wait even longer, and cost increase too.

Now if I could just devote a whole day to reading the owner's manual cover-to-cover. I'm still on 1/2 way through that tome :redface:.

SBT

Subietonic,

I like your suggested run for a So. Cal Legacy owners day. As a matter of fact, I live in Temecula - a beautiful part of the Inland Valley. Sometime around spring break sound fine. We'll start a thread on it in early February so everyone gets time to plan and contribute to the final agenda.

Maybe it could lead to a regular monthly (or bi-monthly or whatever makes sense) meeting for So. Cal. Subie drivers. By southern Cal., I mean south of L.A. county.

Quick question for those of you who have gotten your's from the truck (immediately after PDI), did you notice that the car pulls one way or another as you're driving? I checked the tire pressure again this AM and rebalanced it a tad but I'm still getting pulling. Just curious whether this is an alignment issue or something else.

SBT

My car had both an "alignment problem" and "off center steering wheel".

Alignment problem

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3161

Steering Wheel Off Center ???

In my area 2 of the 3 Subaru dealers include the Wheel Alignment with the PDI.

My dealer (Gatineau Subaru) didn't and the service guy kept saying "I test drove

your car and the alignment was correct". After I got the alignment done at

another dealer (Westboro Subaru) the BEFORE TOE specs. indicated that both the

front-left & rear-right wheels were out-of-spec.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5591

Highway lane drifting... (poll)

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4246&page=4&pp=10

Wheel Alignment During PDI

I do most of the PDI's at work ...

The alignment is only done if it is necessary.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2325&page=3

How does a dealer without a 4-wheel alignment machine determine that the car needs an alignment?

Archived