LegacyGT.com

Film window stuff

Hey,

just a qwik question. I remeber reading somthing a while ago about a film like substance appearing on the windows but i cant remember the cause or the antidote can you help? i ask because i talked my friend into a subaru imreza and now she has this problem and is mad at me HELP!

thanx

jack

I had a Honda Prelude that had this problem and it was due to outgassing of the plastics used in the interior, from what I was told. It was like a smoker's film but no one ever smoked in that car. It was worse in the summer, too, and worse on the rear windshield.

VOC's off gassing from the materials that make the interior. Takes about a year to stop.

Clean the windows to remove it.

If it's really really bad and comes back days after cleaning, it may be a coolent leak in the heater core..... but that is highly unlikely

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I had a Honda Prelude that had this problem and it was due to outgassing of the plastics used in the interior, from what I was told. It was like a smoker's film but no one ever smoked in that car. It was worse in the summer, too, and worse on the rear windshield.

both of my 5th gen preludes had that too. was obnoxious and never could get rid of it.

Cause when you're in your car, 90% of the time it's 45min or less. durring those 45min, the HVAC system is pumping in fresh air.

Your windows are exposed to the off gassing 24/7 and 99% of that time the car is off and the air is not being circulated. That's why we don't worry about our health. There are a select few that actaully get sick from the smell, but I think it's mostly in their heads anyways.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

My 98 Prelude had this problem really bad too. When I got the car I had them install leather interior and I always thought that was the source.

Anyway, as far as cleaing the inside, not sure about that stoners stuff. I"ll try it for sure. The only thing I found to work on car windows (or any windoes for that matter) is to soak them with a sponge and windex. Then use a squegee.... Only way to get streak free I have found.

And how does one clean that off?

easy.

non abrasive brush with simple green. it will strip your windshield of all dirt, oil and grime. then add some kind of rain repellent. you obviously aren't using any now otherwise you wouldn't have a problem.

also, get some good blades if not already.

My 98 Prelude had this problem really bad too. When I got the car I had them install leather interior and I always thought that was the source.

Anyway, as far as cleaing the inside, not sure about that stoners stuff. I"ll try it for sure. The only thing I found to work on car windows (or any windoes for that matter) is to soak them with a sponge and windex. Then use a squegee.... Only way to get streak free I have found.

imo, stoners is the ish. use a microfiber when cleaning then use another lint free cloth to final up/dry. preferably another microfiber.

if you don't like it and live around me i will purchase it from you if you dislike it. hell, stop by and i'll help you and you can use mine.

Archived