LegacyGT.com

A few more hitch questions

Edvig

I'm buying a hitch for my 2.5i wagon so I can drive my mountain bikes around. I have a few last minute questions before I buy the hitch.

1. Hidden Hitch vs. Subaru. What's the difference? Is there an advantage to one or the other?

2. From what I've read, the non-OB wagons are missing an angle bracket. Will I be able to tow anything without this bracket?

3. Will this missing bracket limit the number of bicycles I can carry? I'm planning on carrying 2 bikes now, but it would be good to have the option to carry more.

4. Does the Hidden Hicth come with a receiver cover?

Thanks in advance.

Edvig :)

1. Hidden Hitch vs. Subaru. What's the difference? Is there an advantage to one or the other?

The Subaru hitch is slightly less noticable than the Hidden Hitch, Subaru hitch mounts to the body with 6 bolts (not including the angle bracket), Hidden Hitch mounts to the body with 4 bolts. Subaru Hitch comes with the wiring adapter that plugs into the Legacy's wiring harness, receiver cover, drawbar and all necessary hardware.

2. From what I've read, the non-OB wagons are missing an angle bracket. Will I be able to tow anything without this bracket?

Yes you will still be able to tow without using the brackets, just stay within the manufacturer's towing limitations (200 lb tongue weight, 2,500 lb total).

3. Will this missing bracket limit the number of bicycles I can carry? I'm planning on carrying 2 bikes now, but it would be good to have the option to carry more.

It will not limit the the number of bicycles you can carry, just remember to stay within the manufacturer's towing limitations, since bike mounts rely only on the hitch, the mount & bikes should not exceed the recomended 200 lb tongue weight.

4. Does the Hidden Hicth come with a receiver cover?

Don't know.....:D

Guest *Jedimaster*
I don't hang out with Will Smith very often. Usually on the weekends in Miami. :)

"I'm goin' to Miami" :dm:

Froggy! Good to see you here.

Good idea on saving shipping costs, but I bought the hitch yesterday from etrailer.com. When did you get your GT? Is the Mini gone?

kevjam79: From what I've read, I don't believe the sedan has the bracket. But it shouldn't make a difference based on what Opie has written.

traded in the mini and picked up the 05 gt earlier this week. which hitch did you end up ordering? i need one and don't know what to get, but figure i'll just piggyback off your research. :D

This is the first time that I've heard that there is a physical difference between the OB chassis hitch mount and the other Legacy chassis hitch mount points. What is the angle bracket that you refer to, and where is it located on the car?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Froggy: I bought the Hidden Hitch 90756 from etrailer.com.

Read through these threads:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12576&highlight=hitch

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3533&highlight=hitch

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16006&highlight=hitch

Subietonic: In the 3rd thread that I've pasted here, morrias states there is a bracket missing on the non-OB wagons. I don't know anything else beyond that. Maybe Opie can look into it further for us. :)

cool, i just ordered a draw-tite from etrailer. it seems to have less metal sticking out than the hidden hitch. guess we'll see what happens..

Cool...we can compare hitches. We'll have to make a Tri-State Hitch Meet.

got the draw-tite on this weekend. we'll have to have a hitch meet and compare sometime. i think it hangs kind of low. gonna have to see if i can mount it above the tow hook instead of below. check out this pic in my vBGarage too see what it looks like: http://legacygt.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=468

Good work Froggy. Mine is sitting in my garage. My wife has been working 100,000,000 hours a week and the car hasn't been home for me to install the hitch. I'll post a pic as soon as I put the hitch on. :)

We can have our hitch meet then.

I'll be putting the SOA hitch (and car) through a serious test in two weeks....towing a 1994 Impreza rally-x car with a tow dolly about 250 miles! :eek: I normally drive the rally-x car to events but 250 miles one-way with no A/C and no radio in Florida in August does not sound like fun....

To keep the Leggy happy a tranny cooler gets installed this week. :D The (rally-x) car is gutted and only weighs about 1800 lbs so it's well within the Legacy's towing limits.

http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/M3.JPG

I'll be putting the SOA hitch (and car) through a serious test in two weeks....towing a 1994 Impreza rally-x car with a tow dolly about 250 miles! :eek: I normally drive the rally-x car to events but 250 miles one-way with no A/C and no radio in Florida in August does not sound like fun....

To keep the Leggy happy a tranny cooler gets installed this week. :D The (rally-x) car is gutted and only weighs about 1800 lbs so it's well within the Legacy's towing limits.

Opie, I really hope that tow-dolly has surge brakes on it. The Legacy towing limits are 1000 lbs without trailer brakes so putting 2000 lbs (car and dolly) on without dolly brakes is defiinitely exceeding the safety threshold.

And you're towing this with your 2.5i Wagon? If so, your 2.5i will have some difficulty pulling that much weight (off the line is where you'll really notice it) but stopping will be the scary part. The LGT will have less difficulty towing, but still will have difficulty stopping that much weight without auxilliary brakes of some kind.

Just a thought.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Opie, I really hope that tow-dolly has surge brakes on it. The Legacy towing limits are 1000 lbs without trailer brakes so putting 2000 lbs (car and dolly) on without dolly brakes is defiinitely exceeding the safety threshold.

And you're towing this with your 2.5i Wagon? If so, your 2.5i will have some difficulty pulling that much weight (off the line is where you'll really notice it) but stopping will be the scary part. The LGT will have less difficulty towing, but still will have difficulty stopping that much weight without auxilliary brakes of some kind.

Just a thought.

SBT

Surge brakes = No, Electric brakes = Yes

2.5i Wagon = Yes

You should see what we pull around behind the '94 Legacy Wagon we normally use at work :lol: 2.2L Auto, pulled Foresters and other Legacy's with no problem!

Opie,

What tranny cooler did you put in? How 'bout doing a walkthrough?

Brian

Archived