LegacyGT.com

Fell Asleep/Crashed my '97 LGT/Need ideas

Catch22ska4

So, on the way to my finals about 2 weeks back I fell asleep 50 yards before the exit I had to take and rear ended this girl going 60 mph. Anyways, the grille is broken, hood bent slightly, front bumper good and scratched/smudged, and everything is pushed back just a little.

Does anyone have any cost effective ideas for replacing these things? I noticed it's really hard to find the LGT bumper due to the fog light design, as well as the grille (pricey)

Any help or diagrams of the structure of the front would be helpful. Like I said everything was slightly pushed back, but there was no damage to the radiator or the engine.

Thanks!

I fell asleep once behind the wheel, and will never do it again. Thank god it was an Outback I was driving... went halfway off the road onto really rutted grass, crossing a ditch in the process heading right for a line of trees. SCARY AS HELL. Nothing was broken though. Would have been if it was a normal car, I'm sure of it.

To answer the op's question. Your best bet would be auto recyclers, car-part.com lists a bunch of em. Might be able to work a deal with a body shop that if you find them the parts, they'll do the install / paint for a lil bit cheaper than if they found the parts (thats what I did).

Guess your finals didnt go too well. I would reccomend going to a junk yard. I spent $400 for a new bumper cover and to have it painted. I installed myself, not hard, but took a couple hours. You should be able to find a cheap Legacy grille on ebay.

Pictures?

I don't think I have ever overslept and ended up being more tired. I guess it could have been a combination of the heat in the car and still being groggy after waking up. But I suppose anything is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it worth buying the parts myself and trying to replace the front bumper and that whole assembly seeing as everything was pushed back? I'll post some pictures up tomorrow of what it looks like so you'll have a better idea. Or just take it to the collision center and use all of the money from the insurance?

Archived