LegacyGT.com

Fat Tire

djmonkey841

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of FT anymore either. I used to like it when it years ago, but not so much anymore. I actually don't buy any New Belgium beers anymore. And have heard the owners are asses from some of the contractors I know that have done work for them

I'll be buying these cans. I like Fat Tire, but don't love it. It's just nice to have cans of good beer when you are camping, backpacking, etc.

I've got to give props to New Belgium for giving props to Oskar Brewery for starting the canned microbrew trend, that says a lot about the beer community here in Colorado.

its way over rated and only somewhat good on tap...I cant comprehend this crap out of a can :rolleyes:

:lol: +1

I've never had a good glass of FT - tried many times, but it just doesn't do it for me. However, it's not the worst thing I've ever had.

brian

Wow ... I'm wholly unimpressed. First off, they didn't even line the can ... I don't believe live yeast is going to solve the issue of having an alkaline flavor. Also, they are selling it to be drunk from the can. They have done NOTHING pioneering in the world of craft brewing by putting it in a can. There are some other beers out there that are canned and are great, but they do it differently and for much different reasons. NB is nothing more than a Sam Adams wannabe.

Not a fan of beer in a can or bottle for that matter. They always seen over-carbonated to me, the metallic taste also doesn't help either. From a tap into a frosty pint glass is the way to go in my book.

Speaking of beer, anybody know where I can find Yuengling in metro area? I would have swear I bought them in a local beer store one time but I can't find it anywhere now.

Bummer, yuengling was one of my favorite beers back in the college days.

When I go back home for my brother's wedding, I'm bringing an extra suitcase to pack full of lager and magic hat! :lol:

I have never seen it being anywhere past the mid-east, but you always hear that rumor about 'that one shop that got a few cases this one time last year.':rolleyes: If you find some let us know!

brian

I've never cared for fat tire or understood the love affair with it coloradans have, give me a sunshine wheat with and wedge of orange on a sunny day and I'm in paradise.;)

sunny is yummy! :wub:

Not a fan of beer in a can or bottle for that matter. They always seen over-carbonated to me, the metallic taste also doesn't help either. From a tap into a frosty pint glass is the way to go in my book.

Speaking of beer, anybody know where I can find Yuengling in metro area? I would have swear I bought them in a local beer store one time but I can't find it anywhere now.

Well, here's what I can say about all of that. Beer in a keg will have more metallic taste than beer from a bottle, though due to the surface area to volume, it should be somewhat minimal in both keg and canned form. The primary reason for metallic taste when drinking from a can is that you are tasting the can itself as you drink ... not the properties of the can in the beer. To go a step further, there are certainly cans out there that are lined to prevent interaction between the beer and the can. Those canned beers are meant to be poured into a glass before serving, which also helps with your perception of "over-carbonation." The can also can be better than a bottle because the can allows NO light to reach the beer whereas a bottle only minimizes it.

Though generally speaking, for at-home enjoyment, your best bet is to have a separate mini-fridge for your beer and buy bottles. Store the bottles in the mini-fridge and set the fridge to a bit warmer temperature to keep beer closer to 44 degrees (if you can be that accurate). This should yield the best results in maintaining the quality of your beer.

As for draft beer, some people think it's the best way to go, but most aficionados will agree that the quality of draft beer is inconsistent at best. You have to really be sure all of your lines are clean and in good shape, that the kegs are stored properly, and that the CO2 is set properly. If all of that is good, the quality is as good as anything else, but you really can't say that draft is better than bottles or cans, or that bottles are better than draft or cans, or that cans are better than bottles or draft. They each have their advantages.

Well, here's what I can say about all of that. Beer in a keg will have more metallic taste than beer from a bottle, though due to the surface area to volume, it should be somewhat minimal in both keg and canned form. The primary reason for metallic taste when drinking from a can is that you are tasting the can itself as you drink ... not the properties of the can in the beer. To go a step further, there are certainly cans out there that are lined to prevent interaction between the beer and the can. Those canned beers are meant to be poured into a glass before serving, which also helps with your perception of "over-carbonation." The can also can be better than a bottle because the can allows NO light to reach the beer whereas a bottle only minimizes it.

Though generally speaking, for at-home enjoyment, your best bet is to have a separate mini-fridge for your beer and buy bottles. Store the bottles in the mini-fridge and set the fridge to a bit warmer temperature to keep beer closer to 44 degrees (if you can be that accurate). This should yield the best results in maintaining the quality of your beer.

As for draft beer, some people think it's the best way to go, but most aficionados will agree that the quality of draft beer is inconsistent at best. You have to really be sure all of your lines are clean and in good shape, that the kegs are stored properly, and that the CO2 is set properly. If all of that is good, the quality is as good as anything else, but you really can't say that draft is better than bottles or cans, or that bottles are better than draft or cans, or that cans are better than bottles or draft. They each have their advantages.

+1 for the beer snob ;):lol:

brian

Archived