LegacyGT.com

failed, then passed inspection

according to the tech i just spoke to, the car failed inspection when initially tested in the morning. it was then driven for several miles by the techs, retested, and passed with no problem

only mods are panel filter and AP (which was unmarried the day before i dropped the car off)

this happen to anyone else? not really worried cause it passed, just curious...

wa da tah my damie

This happened to me with another vehicle. I took it in cold and it failed miserably. Took it in two weeks later for state-mandated free retest. This time I drove it 20 miles at 80 mph. Offending emissions were cut radically.

Had to fill out a form stating what work had been done and provide receipts. Just fibbed that I cleaned the spark plugs. As sebberry said, it's the cats needing to warm up.

thanks for the replies - much appreciated

i think sebberry and paxwagon nailed it

just got the report from the dealer, and it states "overall test results: not ready for testing"

it also states that i failed the "OBD readiness result" and had n/a results for the:

mil command status

obd fault code reset

obd-i/m check result

then they drove the car about 10-15 miles and it passed everything

wa da tah my damie

according to the tech i just spoke to, the car failed inspection when initially tested in the morning. it was then driven for several miles by the techs, retested, and passed with no problem

only mods are panel filter and AP (which was unmarried the day before i dropped the car off)

this happen to anyone else? not really worried cause it passed, just curious...

I thought they didn't dyno sniff awd cars in PA. Where I went the guy just looked if car appeared to have a cat and there were no cells.

thanks for the replies - much appreciated

i think sebberry and paxwagon nailed it

just got the report from the dealer, and it states "overall test results: not ready for testing"

it also states that i failed the "OBD readiness result" and had n/a results for the:

mil command status

obd fault code reset

obd-i/m check result

then they drove the car about 10-15 miles and it passed everything

it depends on what they test for in your area. if its a simple obd2 scan like in my area. the had not completed all its moniters since you unmarried and reset the computer. if they actually sniff your tail pipe then the cats may not have been fully warmed up. but on modern vehicle i would say with in 10min of starting a car the cats are up to temp and working. and if it was driven to the location then they should have been aquatically warmed up.

interesting...

the AP was unmarried wednesday during lunch...there were prob 3 drive cycles before i dropped off the car at the dealership that evening

im assuming it was tested cold on thursday morning, then when it failed, they drove it for a few miles then re-tested

wa da tah my damie

Going in tomorrow for my MD emissions check.

Stage 2:

Invidia Up, Crucial DP/MP, Magnaflow CBE, Perrin TMIC, AP v2. (TDC). No sniffer in MD. Should be OBDII only. Hope the extra rumble doesn't make them take a super close look underneath. :rolleyes:

Wish me luck!

Going in tomorrow for my MD emissions check.

Stage 2:

Invidia Up, Crucial DP/MP, Magnaflow CBE, Perrin TMIC, AP v2. (TDC). No sniffer in MD. Should be OBDII only. Hope the extra rumble doesn't make them take a super close look underneath. :rolleyes:

Wish me luck!

Good luck. Subscribed for results.

The true facts about Cats are simple:

They really don't help that much.

They really only act as a restrictor.

More pollution is released at start up (gets past the cat), than the total of 20 minutes of driving. this is due to the cat being cold.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

The ODBII and newer uses a datalogger in the ECU for emissions. If you only drive it 2-3 minutes at a time, then there is no valid data in the log, so it fails your emissions. Go drive for 15 minutes, and it gets a valid log, and then you pass.

Archived