LegacyGT.com

will factory intallation not void warranty?

This may sound like a stupid question, but a friend of mine with a W (booo) said he had to put his factory exhaust back on, take it to the dealership, and have the aftermarket turbo back exhuast re-installed(didnt tell them that), he claims that this was in order to not void his warranty. Is there any truth to this? If the dealership installs aftermarket parts does it protect the warranty? to what extent?:confused:

This may sound like a stupid question, but a friend of mine with a W (booo) said he had to put his factory exhaust back on, take it to the dealership, and have the aftermarket turbo back exhuast re-installed(didnt tell them that), he claims that this was in order to not void his warranty. Is there any truth to this? If the dealership installs aftermarket parts does it protect the warranty? to what extent?:confused:

*Sigh*

Here we go again.

They can not "void your warranty". Ever. I'm not sure where this idea comes from, but it's simply not true, and not legal for them to do. Should they ever try, you need to get yourself a lawyer.

Now, with that said. Any aftermarket part which leads to damage of the vehicle will not be covered, ever. They are under no obligation to, and they won't.

Basically, if a dealer installs an aftermarket exhaust for you, you need to accept the fact that any damages/problems that an aftermarket exhaust can lead to (I can't think of much beyond throwing CELs for cat efficiency, but maybe others can help there. Perhaps excessive wear on the turbo, or damage to the transmission from differences in power/torque production?) will not be covered by them.

However, if you install an aftermarket exhaust, or have them do it, and your struts explode and your wheels fall off, your warranty is still there. They will have to prove (and in this case, the "proving" is really just their mechanics saying so) that the damage was caused by the modifications.

Now, that's the reality of the beast. There is a very important phrase to learn before you touch anything: You've got to pay to play.

If you aren't willing to, leave the car alone.

*Sigh*

Here we go again.

They can not "void your warranty". Ever. I'm not sure where this idea comes from, but it's simply not true, and not legal for them to do. Should they ever try, you need to get yourself a lawyer.

Now, with that said. Any aftermarket part which leads to damage of the vehicle will not be covered, ever. They are under no obligation to, and they won't.

Basically, if a dealer installs an aftermarket exhaust for you, you need to accept the fact that any damages/problems that an aftermarket exhaust can lead to (I can't think of much beyond throwing CELs for cat efficiency, but maybe others can help there. Perhaps excessive wear on the turbo, or damage to the transmission from differences in power/torque production?) will not be covered by them.

However, if you install an aftermarket exhaust, or have them do it, and your struts explode and your wheels fall off, your warranty is still there. They will have to prove (and in this case, the "proving" is really just their mechanics saying so) that the damage was caused by the modifications.

Now, that's the reality of the beast. There is a very important phrase to learn before you touch anything: You've got to pay to play.

If you aren't willing to, leave the car alone.

Ya pretty much what he said... Your total warrenty cannot be voided.. But just because the dealerships install it, it doesnt mean they warrenty it.. Its aftermarket parts that are not built or made by subaru.. Some dealers will install it but wont gaurantee it.. If your radio brakes and you put an intake on the car, its not a related problem and should be covered...

BELIEVE YOU ME, THE Dealership will TRY and make you believe that you will void yr warranty and for most owners that dont know the rules and regs will believe the Stealerships that try this on. If the Dealership workshops fits unauthorised parts, the dealer can not be held responsible should that part fail in any shape or form. The dealership can only be held to warranty work on parts that are supplied by Subaru itself. Anything else installed unless prior direction is given by the indvidual dealership, is at yr own risk and will not be serviced or rectified by the dealership.

Ada///M.

Guest *Jedimaster*
BELIEVE YOU ME, THE Dealership will TRY and make you believe that you will void yr warranty and for most owners that dont know the rules and regs will believe the Stealerships that try this on. If the Dealership workshops fits unauthorised parts, the dealer can not be held responsible should that part fail in any shape or form. The dealership can only be held to warranty work on parts that are supplied by Subaru itself. Anything else installed unless prior direction is given by the indvidual dealership, is at yr own risk and will not be serviced or rectified by the dealership.

Ada///M.

QFT. They like to try and scare you into leaving your car stock.

Ada///M.

QFT. They like to try and scare you into leaving your car stock.

Where do you guys get the idea that dealers dont want you to do modifications and that they want to void your warrenty.. Subaru actually sells aftermarket stuff and promotes the SPT equipment. Its your choice if you want to void your warrenty. All I ever hear is everyone saying beware of the dealer they are going to take your warrenty away and rip you off.. When I havnt heard of many stories like that. If you can find an example of some people that got ripped off or screwed over by a dealer please post it. But I dont see it and feel its just a misconception you guys have of dealers. Why would they want to piss off their customers when customer loyalty is what they pride themselves on.

Warrenties are common sense. If you put an exhaust on, you probably voided your emmissions warrenty. And so on...

Where do you guys get the idea that dealers dont want you to do modifications and that they want to void your warrenty..

my dealer used to do mods but SOA didn't like it so they stopped. the service manager told me that mods will void my warranty. no power/suspension mods for me. :(

This Space For Rent

my dealer used to do mods but SOA didn't like it so they stopped. the service manager told me that mods will void my warranty. no power/suspension mods for me. :(

ya but i am sure its all within reason.. I am sure they dont get rid of your entire warrenty because you put a chrome tip on your muffler, like some people portray they do..

ya but i am sure its all within reason.. I am sure they dont get rid of your entire warrenty because you put a chrome tip on your muffler, like some people portray they do..

Like it was said before, it is totally illegal for them to void your warenty for that, if they were to, you could get a lawyer and go to court.

Why?

last time i told them car squeaked when braking the guy said it might not be covered by the warranty. :eek: (wtf?! it's still less than 1yr old!!!) now just imagine if i do any power/suspension mods! :rolleyes:

This Space For Rent

Grow a backbone people. You're adults. Don't let the "big bad man" at the dealership dictate what you can and can't do when there are little things like laws that govern the subject.

"Because I said so" hasn't been a valid reason for anything since you were a small child. Why be so quick to accept it now?

If I've messed with something and it breaks, I'll pay for it. If it's something I haven't worked on, Subaru will pay for it. It's that simple. If some sleazy guy at a dealership thinks he has the last say on that, wait till he meets my lawyer.

sometimes you just have to talk "simply" to the techs and managers and convince them that you know what you're talking about and not going to be taken to town. We had a guy down here who had a bad strut and the tech tried to blame it on aftermarket wheels. The tech claimed that since no oil/fluid was leaking from the strut that nothing was wrong... not realizing that the individual at hand actually understood struts and called their bluff.. b/c granted, if there was an oil leak, there would be residue somewhere, but where exactly would you look for a gas leak on the other side of the strut?.... plus, someone explain to me why one wheel would rub funny and none of the others would-- needless to say, my friend got a new strut out of the deal on the dealership

Archived