LegacyGT.com

Where the f&^% did my oil go ?

My ride only has 22k miles on it. Any way my buddy just lost his WRX because he didn’t check his oil and locked the engine up. It’s coming back bigger and better…but that’s another story. Because of his misfortune I’ve paying more attention to my LGT. I noticed the valves where a little louder than they usually are, so I check the oil. low and behold I’m more than a quart short :icon_eek: …..no oil leaks, no spots on the driveway. I changed the oil my self and I know I had slightly more oil than the “F” mark on the dip stick. (because I like to be right in the middle after the engine starts circulating oil). The only thing I can think of is burn off….in the turbo maybe…?

Pull off the intercooler and see how much oil is being sent through it. A minimal amount is passed through the intake system through the PCV valve. It shouldn't be more than a very thin coating if any.

Are you running synthetic? If so, since what mileage?

ive had a similar problem...ive got an N/A so i know it wassnt the turbo in my case...i was driving and i heard a loud machine gun like knock at around 3000-4000RPMs i got out and checked the dipstick cause i thought i had a leak, i waited for about 5 minutes and checked it again, still nothing...i checked underneath, nothing, no leak anywere. well it turns out the knocking was a spun rod bearing. at 36,000 miles thats rediculus. anyways there is an insanly long story that goes along with this whole thing, involving me getting f***** by the dealership over and over again...but basically they cant find out why my car is 2 quarts short of oil everytime they check it.

im currently driving a loaner because im suppose to be getting a brand new shortblock put in to do the spun bearing, the dealers last rebulid attempt failed.

so when i get my car back when im done being dicked around by them for the next 2 weeks ill let you know if they found out why i was losing oil.

How many miles are on your car already?

There is a lot of discussion on the topic of the use of synthetic oils and experiencing unusual oil consuption with it. One side, you shouldn't use it right from the start. Run regular oil through the car for the first 6,000 miles and then switch to allow the seals to seat correctly. The other side, you can switch to it imediately after break-in and not have any oil consumption problems.

Me personally, have owned two brand new cars and have experienced unusual oil consuption by switching to synthetic directly after break-in (consistently 1+ quarts short). I switched back to regular oil after I noticed that I was missing 1+ quart of oil between a 6,000 miles (2 changes). After running 12,000 miles with regular oil and switching back to synthetic, I've had no problem with burning oil.

I've given up on synthetic though... I'm using regular oil and changing it every 3,000 miles. It's not worth the additional cost in price per liter and it gunking up my combustion chamber. I don't feel that I push my car to the extremes to where I would need the additional protection from synthetic.

ive had a similar problem...ive got an N/A so i know it wassnt the turbo in my case...i was driving and i heard a loud machine gun like knock at around 3000-4000RPMs i got out and checked the dipstick cause i thought i had a leak, i waited for about 5 minutes and checked it again, still nothing...i checked underneath, nothing, no leak anywere. well it turns out the knocking was a spun rod bearing. at 36,000 miles thats rediculus. anyways there is an insanly long story that goes along with this whole thing, involving me getting f***** by the dealership over and over again...but basically they cant find out why my car is 2 quarts short of oil everytime they check it.

im currently driving a loaner because im suppose to be getting a brand new shortblock put in to do the spun bearing, the dealers last rebulid attempt failed.

so when i get my car back when im done being dicked around by them for the next 2 weeks ill let you know if they found out why i was losing oil.

Near as I can tell, Subie or for that matter any pancake motor uses a lot of oil when you flail it. Check your oil at every fill up, PERIOD!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

So lets see here, sometimes ,with some types of oils, that are sometimes changed from one to another, that are sometimes flailed and sometimes not, that could be dino or not and could be one type of setup-up or another may or may not use oil. Right?

Solution???? Check your oil!!!!!!!!!Every time you fill up the Tank!!! Geezer, are you trying to prove that your engine doesn't use oil, or that you are a great caretaker of of machinery?

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived