LegacyGT.com

extra keys

hey guys,

just want to know if this is true. we are only allowed to have 3 programmed keys?? my girlfriend called the dealership in monrovia and they said we are only allowed to have three programmed keys and no more. if we were to get anymore keys they are not able to program them.

do any of you have more then 3 programmed keys and if so, do you know how to program them yourself. a friend a mine had a mazda 3 and he was able to program his extra keys.

I call bullshit. The dealer lost one of my keys once & had to make me another set. Then they found the old set. That would make 4. 3 that I got when I bought the car + 1 extra I got as a freebie b/c the dealer fucked up
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

you can have as many as you want- the point is the key transponder is like $35-50 at the dealer- maybe $15-20 on ebay

- im not 100% about subaru but for the fords that i know for example if you have 2 keys already programmed then you can program more on your own- if you only have 1 key then the dealer has to program it with their computer........correct me if im wrong about subarus.......

I know www.keylessride.com sells the remotes pretty cheap. And I'm pretty sure they sell the keys too. You get programming intructions too. I Don't know if there is a limit to how many you can add, but yeah I call BS too.

http://www.keylessride.com/order/quote.asp?make=Subaru&remoteyear=2005&model=Legacy&frid=CFD64F63

You can get keys here

http://www.streetkeys.com/

Guest *Jedimaster*
I know www.keylessride.com sells the remotes pretty cheap. And I'm pretty sure they sell the keys too. You get programming intructions too. I Don't know if there is a limit to how many you can add, but yeah I call BS too.

http://www.keylessride.com/order/quote.asp?make=Subaru&remoteyear=2005&model=Legacy&frid=CFD64F63

You can get keys here

http://www.streetkeys.com/

Wow- thanks for those- I had no idea they existed- we need a couple remotes for our Crown Vic :cool:

When the dealer said that only three keys can be programmed, they (incorrectly) may not have counted the valet key. When I bought my LGT, my dealer said that four keys can be programmed, which includes the valet key. I believe you can also only have four key fobs programmed into memory as well.

You get three keys with the car: A master, a submaster (not sure how those two are different), and a valet key. The valet key will not turn the glove box or trunk/fuel filler lock cylinders, but it does have immobilizer electronics inside. It's easily identifiable; the key head is only plastic, with no shiny metal or nice Subie logo.

The method for programming key fobs is in the manual, but I can't find anything about keys. It'd be great to do it yourself and avoid giving the dealer any more $$$.

wow, that is cool

No problem! :icon_bigg

Amazing what you can find after you have a fight with your GF (now EX-GF!) and she decides to throw your entire set of keys in a dumpster somewhere...

I only had the car a few weeks...I was BEYOND pissed...:icon_evil

Women!

Straight from the Subaru service manual.

B: REGISTRATION

Registration is a procedure that must be carried out when an additional key is purchased or when

either a key, ECM or combination meter is replaced. The procedure includes initialization of the system

and re-registration of the ID code. Once initialized, the system loses the ID code it has retained

so far and has no code until a new code is registered. ID codes for up to four keys (transponders)

can be registered with a body integrated unit.

To prevent a copied key to be used, any set of keys (four maximum) can be registered only with one

body integrated unit. Therefore, if a body integrated unit is replaced with a new one, the keys having

been used with the old body integrated unit cannot be used with the new body integrated unit. The

keys must be replaced simultaneously with the body integrated unit.

Registration is carried out by an authorized person using a select monitor and a special program.

Access to the program is strictly controlled for reasons of security. The security ID (kept by customer)

is required for registration. As the ID code for all registered keys are cleared when registration

is started, registration must be performed will all keys including spares handed from the customer.

• 1 month later...

Archived