LegacyGT.com

Extra boxer rumble.

Something under my car came loose. Thought I lost my muffler, but it is firmly in place, and the extra noise is coming from the front-ish area of the car.

Guesses? Header? Will get it up on ramps tomorrow.

Damn.

Same thing happened to mine 2 winters ago. The rear flange of the first cat converter rusted and seperated. Where those odd spring loaded bolts are. I was able to save the cat by replacing the flange.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

probably an exhaust leak from your headers, and single ports are in production over on rs25.com but theyre pretty far off.. i also think ms3 has some for the small fee of $300+

Hopefully just a the distal flange or something. (crosses fingers)

same thing happened to me and it ended up being the headers cracking. But that is because they were originally wrapped, and when i bought them i didnt re-wrap them. And then i just beat on them in the insane amounts of snow and they are all cracked at welds, and in middle of the pipes even.

buying some headers on ebay now, then spray painting them with black 1000* paint. Then wrapping them, and then silicone spray or spray paint again.

Yup. We will see what happens. If it is the header, I will ceramic coat and wrap whatever replacement I get.

I bought my car to hoon in the snow, and I have plowed through a lot of drifts in this. Month. I am not surprised that some weaknesses have been revealed.

More than likely rear most flange on your catalytic converter pipe has rotten away like every one else's, or you may get lucky and the gasket is just bad. Mine completely rotted away so I ended up just welding the two pipes together. Not the prettiest nor most ideal solution but it was the only workable solution at the time.

It's pretty ugly. Probably going to cut the whole thing out. There are two cats, right?

Yes 2 cats. Only remove the rusty/deteriorated part. It will look something like this. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/problems-maintenance/16741d1279091977-flange-rotted-off-cat-converter-easy-fixes-subaru-exhaust-flange-reduced-40-.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/26324-flange-rotted-off-cat-converter-easy-fixes.html&usg=__h9hHDj6XnWhIN6Wb5AwbmUNVI4c=&h=1200&w=1600&sz=220&hl=en&start=0&sig2=ZdwoSxQfQPF35_TKoTabxg&zoom=1&tbnid=0tB9pqy9PHM-uM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=187&ei=woNuTff0O8mutwerxPmHDw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsubaru%2Bexhaust%2Bpipe%2Bflange%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1T4ACEW_en___US332%26biw%3D1189%26bih%3D538%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=282&vpy=197&dur=3762&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=124&ty=99&oei=woNuTff0O8mutwerxPmHDw&page=1&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0 You can fix it cheaply using a new section of pipe that has a 2 bolt flange pre-welded onto it. Get the pipe 1 size larger than the cats output pipe so it can slip snugly over it, cut the new section of pipe with flange to the length you need, (I only used about 2") slip it over cats output, clamp it on, use a new gasket and bolts. It will cost about $20. Better than buying a new cat. The part I used looks like this. http://www.supersprint.com/eng/SPP2000000786543.asp (edit- That is not the exact part#,illustration purpose only) I just went through the 2nd winter with that fix leak free.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• 2 months later...
oh yeah, theres that problem when someone else is doing it...

Mine just broke tonight. Im just gonna get a couple flanges, some pipe and new gaskets and make a straight pipe in its place.

Yeah.I wish I could weld.

i had the same prob took it to a local shop. though before i took it i cut all the broken stuff off it broke in two place's so. they put in new pipe for 50 bucks.

oh yeah, theres that problem when someone else is doing it...

Mine just broke tonight. Im just gonna get a couple flanges, some pipe and new gaskets and make a straight pipe in its place.

the problem with a shop doing it is that its illegal in the states. Due to emissions standards and noise. They can also be fined ridiculous amounts of money for making that kind of stuff.

If you don't have forced induction (turbo, supercharger) on your engine and you go from having cats to a straight pipe (cat-less) doesn't that kill your low-end power due to lack of back pressure?

Ha ha run-on sentence...

I've been thinking about getting some cats out of a junkyard and punching them out for increased airflow through my exhaust. Its cheaper than getting a custom exhaust. It maybe will even give me a little better MPG!

Does anybody know a little more about the back pressure thing?

yeah, i just checked everything out and turns out the o2 sensor is after the second cat so it would throw a cel if I removed it. Not too much carnage on mine, just need a small section of pipe welded together, screw the flange anyways.

I just had the exact problem with the flange. I thought it would be an easy fix but that part is what they told me is the spherical cylinder. My buddy said the cheapest way to fix it is to use a flex pipe, it costed me $100 all inclusive to fix compared to $220 all inclusive if i went with a new spherical cylinder pipe.

My car sounds brand new now!

Archived