LegacyGT.com

Exhaust sounds...forget the power for a sec i want sound!

f85stealth

Alright guys i hear all the complaints positives and differences in power between all the exhausts. But now i want sound. I just bought the elusive 06 spec B and am looking to put a full headers back exhaust. I'd like to stick with the same manufacturer for fright of improper fitment. What you guys recommending. I want recommendations strictly on sound money is no object. I like to do things right the first time. On another note i HATE HONDAS!. Keep that in mind i want as close as possible to what a 302 stand with h-pipes and flowmasters would sound like. I know, i know i wont get that sound but close to it fellas. So post some sound clips and let me knwo what ya got and thoughts. Thanks!

If you can wait a month, I should have a full heads back setup available from Megan Racing. The headers are in stock, the DP's are due in about 1 month and another shipments of catbacks a little bit after. Everything will fit together properly and replace all the OEM exhaust pipes from the cylinder heads back, with the exception of the turbo itself. The best part will be the price. I should be able to do the whole package for about $1150-$1200 shipped to your door. That's about the same price as a few catbacks on the market! Sort of like getting free headers and a downpipe! :lol:

I saw in your post that money is not object... so for you, the package will be $3000 so you can feel like you spent enough money to have "the best" :lol: Also, even though you don't care about power, this setup will add at least 20 hp and more torque than that. Those numbers will be considerably bigger is you get your setup tuned.

In all seriousness, the setup I mentioned above will be mean sounding, but not annoyingly loud. The last thing is will sound like is a Honda.

Here is a link to a thread where I posted some vid clips:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=721015#post721015

Alright guys i hear all the complaints positives and differences in power between all the exhausts. But now i want sound. I just bought the elusive 06 spec B and am looking to put a full headers back exhaust. I'd like to stick with the same manufacturer for fright of improper fitment. What you guys recommending. I want recommendations strictly on sound money is no object. I like to do things right the first time. On another note i HATE HONDAS!. Keep that in mind i want as close as possible to what a 302 stand with h-pipes and flowmasters would sound like. I know, i know i wont get that sound but close to it fellas. So post some sound clips and let me knwo what ya got and thoughts. Thanks!

^ Sound is totally subjective.

What's music to someone's ears might be totally offensive to yours. What inspires another person to just goose it at each and every stop-light might literally cause you a headache. What someone else finds to be pleasingly loud on the highway may be unacceptable drone to your ears.

Depending on where you are located, you may or may not have access to a large group of Subaru enthusiasts, or even better yet, LGT enthusiasts - our exhaust note is subtly different from that of similar STIs and WRXs, but if you can even sample some of their aftermarket offerings, you can at least get a decent idea of where you stand, and honestly, despite the best intentions of all our brothers and sisters who try to take "video/sound clips," there's nothing that can substitute for a live listening session. Both recording equipment and conditions, not to even mention your reproduction equipment and conditions, can drastically affect the playback, and may render such comparisons somewhat inaccurate.

One thing you really don't have to worry about, though, is that dreaded "Honda 4-banger fart-can sound."

As long as you keep with unequal-length headers or run off the stock manifolds (and yes, you can port/polish them, and even add-in an aftermarket cross-pipe, with no problems, here), you'll take full advantage of that lumpy "boxer rumble."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

ok so i was going to get the perrin equal length headers but i guess thios is a bad idea now because of sound? i was thinking go all Perrin or all Borla because those two companies make every piece for a complete exhaust and sound is subjective but thats why i made the comparison to a 'stang. i would like some sound clips to at least get me somewhat of an idea....i heard one guys and thats what made me post this...he had that annoying honda screech....yikes!

I am interested to hear if there is a free-flowing cat-back that does some things really well.

looks good. nice tips that don't scream bargain, or ricer.

sounds better. a bit of notification that this isn't your uncle's toyota camry.

Not intrusive, though. a bit of notification is one thing, but drowning out conversations at highway speeds with the windows closed is not acceptable

something that burbles, or otherwise sounds meaninful, but doesn't actually backfire and sound like a V8 glasspack, but does uncork the y-pipe bottleneck a bit, for a little more go, which is always good.

Borla - ubiquitous, don't like the tips.

Megan racing - good price, don't like the tips, either.

Perrin - y-pipe good, don't like the mufflers.

GReddy, Fujitsobo, Legalis, and some others look more tuner than classy. Don't want to attract that sort of attention.

Autospeed - NICE, but PRICE $$$$. should be expected, of course.

AVO - again, PRICE. Tips aren't bad but autospeed is better.

Right now, I am kind of leaning toward a Perrin y-pipe with a resonator, (i'd do the midpipe too, if there was a metal catalyst, so I could at least portend a slight accordance with the law.) and magnaflow mufflers, and tips. Just got to save some cash for the parts and for some fabrication on the mufflers to fit the y-pipe...

I just can't decide if I should go with some slash cut, double-walled tips, or their new oval resonated tips...

35121.jpg or 35175.jpg

The oval tips might look a little too "Pontiac Grand Prix" though. I think they would fit the cutouts nicely, though.

Anyone venture a guess as to whether such a system would meet the goals? it's either pieceing together such a cat-back, or saving for Autospeed's $$$ catback...

Someday a shorty downpipe or full length catted DP in leu of catted midpipe, and maybe headers... Already have invidia UP, and gutted second downpipe cat, a de-resonator'd y-pipe, and what look and sound like flowmaster mufflers. sounds great. even when I have to raise my voice over it at highway speeds.

ok so i was going to get the perrin equal length headers but i guess thios is a bad idea now because of sound?

Unfortunately, equal-length headers will render your exhaust note more "Honda-like."

It currently seems to be a trade-off between disco and go, at this point. Many tuners and hobbyists have cited that for ultimate power, equal-length headers is the way to go, but unfortunately, you do give up a bit of that aural guilty pleasure.

Still, appreciation of the "Boxer Rumble" is a very subjective thing - there are enthusiasts in the Scooby community who feel that it just sounds like a "crippled" engine, and that they in-turn prefer the fuller, more even tones brought about by an equal-length setup.

i was thinking go all Perrin or all Borla because those two companies make every piece for a complete exhaust

Borla might not be the way that you want to go - although its tone is deeper than the stock note and that it preserves the rumble you desire, it is one of the quietest, if not outright most quiet, cat-back systems that's on-market. It simply might not reach the volume that you desire.

The Perrin (in terms of the cat-back system), on the other hand, would be its polar-opposite - it's viewed by many here as one of the loudest of the systems available.

i would like some sound clips to at least get me somewhat of an idea....i heard one guys and thats what made me post this...he had that annoying honda screech....yikes!

Have a search on the Forum using the term "exhaust" as the keyword, and cross it with "Almondcookie" as the author name. He compiled quite a list of exhaust sound clips. Also, search for brother "Scans007," and link directly to his private hobbyist website. Select the LGT category from there, and look in the "Media" section thereafter - he has one of the largest databases of exhaust sound-clips available.

But again, I'd highly recommend that after you have your choices narrowed-down some, that you pursue your local-area Scooby enthusiasts to see if anyone can provide you with an "approximate" (i.e. even if the system is installed on a single-outlet WRX or STi/STI) live sound comparison.

----

Brother IWSS :

I think that your goals are quite do-able with your current plans. Just be sure that your resonator is large enough to take out the harshness, and definitely, keep some kind of "mid-pipe cat" at that third-cat location, as that will also help a little in mellowing-out the overall tone.

The biggest issue will be whether or not your plans will be cost-effective, versus a full aftermarket system.

I set out to do an "affordable" system, too, and what I ended-up with, even though I took on second-hand parts - as well as new parts that were priced rather exceptionally well, given that it was a "private sell" from a Vendor - my total system cost still came within easy throwing distance of even the pricy Fujitsubo. :redface:

Also, while most of the harshness can be taken out of the system with retention of the last cat (of some sort, an aftermarket HFC is A-OK for this purpose) and a larger resonator (or a pair of smaller ones), some slight burbles will likely be unavoidable on harder shifts and/or overruns.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I just can't decide if I should go with some slash cut, double-walled tips, or their new oval resonated tips...

35121.jpg or 35175.jpg

The oval tips might look a little too "Pontiac Grand Prix" though. I think they would fit the cutouts nicely, though.

I :lol:'d at this post because that's exactly what I had on my old GTP

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/19028141.jpg

They were nice tips, wished they were more 'open' inside, however. I don't really care for large tips on my LGT, though .. I went with the MR solution.

I don't mind the quality of the sound, and under accelleration, it sounds quite good. under decelleration it pops a bit... I just want to quiet it down at cruising speeds, and cut the drone, to not have it be a strain on conversation level in the car, and not be tiresome after a few hours drive.

Man, I wish I could just afford the Autospeed TBE, or at least cat-back... (I could wait on the DP for a while...) I guess some saving is in order...

I also saw, though, that Magnaflow has a new 4" round x 14" long resonator with 3" through pipework that they are marketing toward turbocharged import cars... (saw it in Turbo magazine, as I was browsing the news stand...) That and a nicely done y-pipe might be good...

Interesting pic of the magnaflow tips on the GP... I guess I thought the Magnaflow oval tips were more open, as well... I have to say, that puts me more into the double-walled round tip camp...

I don't mind the quality of the sound, and under accelleration, it sounds quite good. under decelleration it pops a bit... I just want to quiet it down at cruising speeds, and cut the drone, to not have it be a strain on conversation level in the car, and not be tiresome after a few hours drive.

Coolio.

:)

The sedan does make our lives easier in terms of drone (or lack of it) - maybe a bit of extra insulation in the trunk floor and walls, or even under the rear passenger's seat bench :icon_conf would further help?

I also saw, though, that Magnaflow has a new 4" round x 14" long resonator with 3" through pipework that they are marketing toward turbocharged import cars... (saw it in Turbo magazine, as I was browsing the news stand...) That and a nicely done y-pipe might be good...

That's what's currently on my Lachute Y-section (which includes the straight "mid-pipe" run, after the other thing that's often called the "mid-pipe," aka the "3rd cat section).

The resonator was added - I believe that Lachute offers a "build to order" option, but these pipes came from brother Peter over at PLTek, so I'm not sure if he had the resonator added, or if he purchased the item this way from Lachute.

Uncertain of difference from Perrin. :redface: The Perrin mid-section does include a resonator, but it looks much smaller......

If you want sound and power, you could have a look at the Random/xcceleration turboback exhaust system with cutout. It's listed at http://www.Xcceleration.com/itemdetails.cfm83.htm near the bottom of the page. My friend has it and it sound awesome when the cutout is open. Like a dragster. He also said it makes the car come alive!

I know you said $ was no object but simply put........

GReddy;)

SP2.......Nice quiet rumble, just a little louder than the Borla

EVO2....Lot's of bark, def on the louder side but not even close to as loud as the Perrin.

Welds & material, finished to perfection.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Hmm well im still pretty confused on what i want sound is so subjective so having someone tell u somethign is good and hearing it urself is two different thign. and it seems everyone has a different opinion. i heard a couple sound clips didnt liek any of em so what i think im gonna do is headers by perrin, perrin exhaust and put some flow master 40 series mufflers on the back if i dont liek im puttin the stock mufflers on with all the after market piping and headers

Here is a zip file of a bunch of sound clips of the legacy that I have compiled. Take a look, you might find somethign you like!

http://dl020.filefactory.com/dl/f/d7a709/b/6/h/99b3f663ab3d3ac3/

If that link doesn't work...try this: http://www.filefactory.com/file/d7a709/

neither link worked or i gotta sign up one of the two sorry

Archived