LegacyGT.com

exhaust and intake questions

im new to the forum and i read a lot about cai for 2.5i's and i looked around and found this....

http://sportcompactonly.com/Subaru/Legacy/Cold-Air-Intakes/Air-Intakes/Performance/performance-parts_c-3_vt-1068_vy-2007.htm

now i dont know if the intake will fit but i was wondering if anyone has tried it?

and if any 2.5i driver uses custom muffler/exhaust tips i wanted to know what size/make sounds best without sounding like a complete ricer. im just looking for a better sound without setting off car alarms with no horsepower behind it

thanks

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea i guess i might, i havent decided which one to go with, the injen for the impreza or the aem. i just dont wanna fu** up my intake because im just doing this for the extra little kick. and anyone change their mufflers or exhaust tips?

and just incase anyone wants to get the yellow lamin-x fog film for the legacy they dont fit right at all so you will have to cut it yourself, the tail light film covers a little more than the light but i think it looks fine

You can swap in just about any muffler (aka axelback) designed for the GT. Heck, most catbacks seem to fit, with minor adjustments.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

nice.. im trying to work on quickness with great control.. so i was wondering about a borla catback and trying to get that aem intake or injen intake. i watched some guy in a 06 2.5i legacy blow away a impreza wrxsti and a 07 spec.b on a turning course.

and any idea on suspension upgrades? since i know the I wont be hitting over 200 hp without a turbo.

so yea if anyone knows the best products for better suspension and is a cai best for quicker acceleration?

LGT Borla CBE on a 2.5i is going to sound really bad, very much like rice after the ECU adjusts for it...at least for 06 and 07 2.5i, not too sure about 05's. The first day it sounds real nice and aggressive, but as the days go on the sounds just gets worse and worse. If you still want to give it a try go ahead, but check out the thread I started over here. You could probably get another resonator welded into the CBE and see what that does to the sound. I think you're better off focusing on suspension mods unless you are going to go the custom route for your exhaust.

damn... thats depressing, i guess i will just go with suspension upgrades.. any reccomendments? and is the cai even worth it? im trying to get my acceleration up there

CAI would be worth it as it does help with responsiveness, but I feel more power can be had with CAI, custom exhaust, maybe headers, and a "tune" with Rallitek's PP6 ECU. There are members who used the PP6 but not many if any of them have written about impressions, unfortunately. Also, lightened crank pulley will help with acceleration, but there is a trade off with acceleration and using the A/C in the summer at the same time.

As far as suspension, a lot of people are using Bilsteins with some JDM compatible springs such as STI Pinks, Swifts, Ion's, etc. Coil overs might be a good choice as well since they are adjustable depending on what you want to be doing with your car. You should check out the suspension part of this forum, as almost all suspension parts that fit the GT will work with the 2.5i's.

wow.. thanks for the help bro

ill search around some more and try to find some good stuff, if i try the custom exhaust if it sounds good you want me to let you know how i did it?

Yeah sure, just start a thread so all of us can see what you did. It'll be interesting to see some custom work and how it sounds after all is said and done.

If you wanna keep your aftermarket CBE from sounding like ricer you have to get new headers. The headers are what give the Subaru's the boxer sound. Now if your going fo quickness you wanna be sure that you dont used over sized pipeing that will kill your back pressure. You could probaly get away with doing headers and just bolting on axle backs for improved sound and performance with out loss in power. Also most GT suspention upgrades will fit the 2.5I. There are some threads around the forums that talk about it.

The intakes you found on the sport compact only site are alll for the GT and will not fit the 2.5I. Unless you go and do it custom, i beleive the injen intake is the best way to go. Ive put over 1,600 miles on it and have had not problems and it sound amazing. After doing intake and exhasut you could go with the RalliTEK PerfectPower6 Engine managment to optimize your new performance parts and self tune the car.

Guest subiecity
If you wanna keep your aftermarket CBE from sounding like ricer you have to get new headers. The headers are what give the Subaru's the boxer sound. Now if your going fo quickness you wanna be sure that you dont used over sized pipeing that will kill your back pressure. You could probaly get away with doing headers and just bolting on axle backs for improved sound and performance with out loss in power. Also most GT suspention upgrades will fit the 2.5I. There are some threads around the forums that talk about it.

The intakes you found on the sport compact only site are alll for the GT and will not fit the 2.5I. Unless you go and do it custom, i beleive the injen intake is the best way to go. Ive put over 1,600 miles on it and have had not problems and it sound amazing. After doing intake and exhasut you could go with the RalliTEK PerfectPower6 Engine managment to optimize your new performance parts and self tune the car.

+1 ive seen jaymitches intake! looks like a perfect fit....mine was more customed do it urself shit lol

It says it is made for the legacy GT and the 2.5i. I guess i can just order and if it doesn't work send it back. and get the injen. Then we will all know if it is a exact fit.

Intakes for GT and 2.5i are completely different. You're better off getting the Injen since you know it will work. If you get the AEM that is meant for the 2005 Impreza RS though, that is different as it should work for our engines. AEM for LGT will not work on the 2.5i, unless you get some more tubing and couplers. The "made for GT and the 2.5i" statement is what worries me a bit. But hey, it's your choice.

You made a good point. Rallitek has the injen that is for the 05 impreza or the 06-07 impreza. which should i get?

I think you were looking in the WRX section. There is only one Injen CAI for the Impreza 2.5i and they work for 2005-2007. Link here.

Hope you don't take my statements the wrong way, just trying to help. :)

Did you put a intake on your ride

Yup, I had the Injen CAI for 2005 Impreza RS on the car, but ended up selling it cause I wanted to go in a different direction. The intake was awesome, and it sounded mean! You can check out this thread if you want. The thread was started by JayMitch. He had a 2005 2.5i while I had a 2007 (06+) 2.5i. I linked it to the page where I list the parts needed for 06+ 2.5i's due to the extra vac tube that we have. There are also vid clips if you are curious about the sound.

Archived