LegacyGT.com

Excessive wind noise from the windshield area due to wiper arm?

Hey all. So I almost doubled the # of miles on the LGT this past Christmas weekend (up to 1300 now), and I loved almost every bit of it. The car proved to be an awesome highway cruiser all around, except for one thing: very noticeable windshield area wind noise at anything over 45 or 50mph.

I just spent 20 mins reading through various wind noise related threads, and there were very few mentions of wind noise coming from the windshield. It's definitely not from the side mirrors (or from the sunroof, since I don't have one ;)). It's also not road noise from the tires; I know what that sounds like. If anything, it seems to come from the lower part of the windshield. One thing I noticed is that my driver's side windshield wiper arm sits higher than the small lip at the end of the hood, and maybe that's what's causing the turbulence. Or, the small windfoil attached to the wiper arm is causing excessive wind noise (though I never noticed either of those things causing noise in my '02 WRX).

Any thoughts? Have any of you noticed the wiper arm sitting a bit high on the windshield, or heard wind noise from that area specifically? My final theory is that the Legacy is so much quieter than the WRX that the only noise I'm now able to hear is the (perfectly normal) wind noise. That's definitely true to a certain degree, but I'm pretty sure the wind noise I'm hearing isn't normal (especially based on the other threads I've read).

Thanks guys.

- Kai

can't say i have experienced this at all. If it is sitting higher that could be your problem. Might be a good idea to get it checked out. I drive highway every day, and with over 13k on the car, haven't had any problems with wind noise like you describe.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Is the wiper straight? It is possible that it is off by a little bit so that it is restinig higher ont he windshield than it is supposed to. That would be an easy 5 minute fix.
That's a possibility; I'll take a look at it. And like santafelgt said, it's really the only unpleasant noise the car makes...which is why it's so noticeable.

Are you going to go mad Kai? :lol:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/bigeek.gifue?

Thanks for the responses so far.

That's a possibility; I'll take a look at it. And like santafelgt said, it's really the only unpleasant noise the car makes...which is why it's so noticeable.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/bigeek.gifue?

Top gear. You had to be there. :redface:

I've considered and dismissed that idea for two reasons: 1) it would indicate a massively stupid design and engineering flaw on Subaru's part, which is unlikely, and 2) I never noticed any audible turbulence from my WRX's scoop (nor have I ever heard anyone else complaining about it on their WRXs).

I guess there is only one way to test this, when I get home .. I will remove my wiper blades and take the car back out on the freeway. If it turns out that I don't here anything, then we know it is wiper blade related .. I'll let you guys know in a couple of hours :) (That's if they are easy to take off).

The arm won't be easy to remove. I might look into removing the airfoil, though; that should pop off fairly easily. Still, assuming the foil wasn't designed poorly, the combination of an exposed wiper arm and airfoil on my WRX never made any wind noise. It's puzzling.

Guest *Jedimaster*
He could always plug it up....

...as an added bonus...it'll prevent soap and water from m3ltz0ring his intercooler whilst washing it. :)

:lol:

Well I got the car back from the dealer and they confirmed the wind noise after driving more than 10 miles to check it out. The service manager believes it is coming from the base of the windshield on the passenger side. Apparently they are waiting for approval to either replace or re-seal the windshield next week.

Archived