LegacyGT.com

Excessive Intake Temps

f85stealth

I have the K & N Typhoon intake system and my tuner is telling me I have extremely high intake temps at idle.

I was thinking about cutting a large opening in the bottom kick plate which separates the road from the engine bay and installing a standard square air filter to keep excessive dirt and rain from getting in.

Good idea, have another?

Great idea:

Put the stock intake back on.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

what temperatures are you actually seeing from IAT at idle? because let me tell you... IAT shoots up a lot during idle on my car, and that's with the stock airbox. i've seen it go as high as 160-170F in standstill traffic in NYC when ambient temperature was about 100F.

its around 80 celcius which is like 175 degrees. I am in hot ass florida so I guess that is normal then if you have a stock airbox.

I was thinking the bigger hole with the filter would help because right now is only a couple of 1/4" holes. I figured a 6" x 6" hole with a filter would certainly be better then a couple of 1/4" holes, no?

If you're idling in traffic, it's going to heat up no matter what... the REAL question is.... how quickly will your intake cool off? I have no idea how quickly YOURS cools off, but mine being stock draws in fresh air from outside and it cools off very, very quickly.

Of course, that's only part of the equation. The other part of the equation is how badly your TMIC gets heatsoaked because that WON'T be reflected by the IAT sensor.

It cools off very quickly and I don't really have IC heatsoak issues.

My only problem is intake temps at idle because the air is moving more slowly through the pipe. So I wanted to try and get more fresh air to the filter to at least help.

It may not be alot but I haven't thought of a better way yet.

Why do you need to do that?

Your engine is never under load when it is ingesting that hot air. By the time you are under any appreciable load, the IAT's will have dropped substantially closer to ambient.

Check a log and you'll see. Even as engine RPM's jump, IAT's will start to drop.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

why do you need to do that?

Your engine is never under load when it is ingesting that hot air. By the time you are under any appreciable load, the iat's will have dropped substantially closer to ambient.

Check a log and you'll see. Even as engine rpm's jump, iat's will start to drop.

+1

Why do you need to do that?

Your engine is never under load when it is ingesting that hot air. By the time you are under any appreciable load, the IAT's will have dropped substantially closer to ambient.

Check a log and you'll see. Even as engine RPM's jump, IAT's will start to drop.

Inconsistencies in tune? I dono, tuner didn't like it. I am sure he has his technical reasons but I am not able to regurgitate them. I am in Florida so its been 95 degrees and 100% humid. That also vastly changes hourly here.

great idea:

Put the stock intake back on.

+1

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

try an intercooler water sprayer.

That sounds like a total waste of money.

Archived