LegacyGT.com

engine miss

Are you getting a CEL?

I had a bad plug wire that was causing a miss under heavy acceleration around 3k rpms. So the pack would cause the same thing. Even with new plugs and wires I still sometimes have a miss around 4k rpms if I'm really stepping on it, so I'm thinking coil too.

i get what feels like a mis at like 4,000 -5,000 rpms sometimes when im on the gas to move it. I get the feeling it's a fuel delivery problem not so much a spark problem as cars don't mis at random usually unless there's a fuel delivery problem.

Well, that or maybe a bad 0² sensor behind it all misreading.

If your gap is wrong you could be experiencing spark blow out which actuall does happen believe it or not, but not likely unless you're boosted.

If your 90 lgt is turbocharged it may be incorretly gapped plugs, otherwise I'd look into 0² sensors, then fuel pressure.

Try to get a CEL. When I had a plug wire issue it was fairly intermittent. But I finally managed in getting it to give me a CEL by flooring it up steep hills, and finally it gave me a misfire on the cylinder that had the bad wire.

I did the neon MSD blaster conversion today and I still have the miss/vibration.

The miss is not super bad but it should not be there and the fact that I cant figure it out is driving me crazy.

Does anyone have a clue what this may be caused by. I have double checked the vacium lines and they all seem fine.

If there are any sugestions I am happy to try anything at this point.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Matt

iresqu101@hotmail.com

You could try hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and seeing if anything weird is happening with the pressure as it misses. Uh, could try cleaning the injectors, re-gapping the plugs, checking plug wires. While you have the plugs out, look at them closely. If you have a Haynes manual for your car, there's a legend on the inside of the back cover that can help you diagnose engine problems by the color and buildup on the plugs.

If you used Bosch plugs or plug wires, I have heard of cases where they give people trouble. Best to stick with OEM stuff, you'll pay extra but it's worth it for the assurance, IMO.

I know what it's like trying to hunt down a misfire, I did it myself for a while on my car. Still I am not sure what I did to fix it, I just kinda used the "shotgun effect" and replaced everything that could have possibly caused it at once and it went away :p

Archived