LegacyGT.com

Engine louder at higher rpm

Hey guys, today was really the first time I was driving the car around -15 C and it seemed like the engine was knocking at higher rpm's (+4000). Mainly off throttle at a higher rpm but even while flooring it sounds clackitity. It always has like a clackity sound at high rpm's but tonight sounded different. Oil level was at 1/2 on level ground 10 seconds after I shut it off. At idle engine is very quiet like usual, rev it up sounds the same.

I am thinking maybe I have a exhaust leak like the uppipe? The car does seem laggy, performance is about the same though I guess. Also my CEL comes on every so often and eventually goes off after driving the car a few times. Recent did the spark plugs if it matters? Maybe theres a loose plug they all seemed good runs ok I guess has a mis idling on cold morning when it's partially warmed up. Any suggestions or previous experience would be nice.

Check for loose bolts at the turbo to tmic, snug them, remember steel bolts into aluminum. Tighten the nut's bolts on the DP and Mid pipe.

Check the plugs for tightness.

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor ?

have the CEL code scanned

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know my intercooler end tanks keep seperating. Also it appears my inlet pipe is soaked in oil. So I will tackle the intercooler sometime this week, than do the inlet, than do the manifold o rings.

Also I am pretty sure the heatshield around the turbo is rattling causing the engine to make excess noise at higher rpm's. Possibly when I was driving below -10C it causes the metals to expand/contract just right and rattle.

I wonder if I should get a killer b oil pickup? Honestly it really bothers me thinking what if my oil pickup is cracked! If it was I would assume the oil light would come on atleast ? I was going to wait till atleast spring.

You should be fine with the oil tube. I have a 2005 motor apart that has been repetitively been driven hard (been run hard with low oil and has hit the oil light). Zero metal in pan and surprisingly very little particles on the banjo bolt filters. ~95k on motor. If your pickup is cracked, you won't know it until it separates. This one looks fine.

if and when your pickup cracks, the bearings will blow VERY quickly. not a bad idea to get an oil pressure gauge to monitor it closely. a new pickup is on my to-do list for the spring, just for piece of mind.

if and when your pickup cracks, the bearings will blow VERY quickly. not a bad idea to get an oil pressure gauge to monitor it closely. a new pickup is on my to-do list for the spring, just for piece of mind.

Unfortunately an oil pressure gauge won't give you a warning of impending pickup tube failure, it'll only read 0psi when it's too late. I agree, not a bad thing to monitor if you have an audible alarm when it drops below say 20psi, but it may not be as helpful as you think until it's too late. I have one anyway, although its not working right now because I decided Prosport Premium was the way to go. Needless to say after the sender and gauge failed under warranty 2x, and now they are both bad out of warranty, it's currently disconnected.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys anyone find any common exhaust gasket leaks? The car has just under 100k km. AFAIK nothing has been touched. I am thinking that is what I am hearing OR my turbo is going out? Just got a infamous1 stage 1 tune runs ALOT better, still getting knock counts though. Hard to tell what is either rattling or if it is indeed just a exhaust leak. It's weird though because it is only noticeable when temperatures are below -10C it seems. IDK if there are just more resonating sounds under the car when it is cold?

I can listen outside and the engine sounds perfectly smooth reving it up etc. Another thing might be if the drivetrain mount separated it would probably put more stress on the pitch mount and generate more noise through the firewall under just the right amount of load.

Try replacing intake manifold gaskets (o-rings). I am going to do them when I pull my motor for clutch + timing belt job as I have higher knock counts in cold weather (also thinking my dying flywheel/clutch may have something to do with it). Check for a tear in the turbo inlet tube.

I tried making a video can't really hear anything unusual. I did however do a bit of logging, but failled to log rpm....... however wheneven i hit full boost my knock correct advance IAM always says 5.98 why?? is that a issue? Car pulls strong keep in mind!

-10C outside, running 94 oct with a bottle of stp injector cleaner on stg1 ots infamous tune.

romraiderlog_20120120_024452.csv

Archived