LegacyGT.com

Engine Break IN

If u had yr time all over again, how would u do yr engine break in ?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. If u had yr time all over again, how would u do yr engine break in ?

• Would again do the softly softly approach.
    • Would again drive it like I stole it.
    • Undecided.......

At first there were tons of these threads recommending break in as the softly softly approach and then the Motorbike Break in of drive it like you stole it. With months and years in some cases, are you thankful that you did the break in the way you did or would U change it??

Ada///M.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As with my other cars, the "drive it like you stole it" method has worked again. With the heavy Ltd Wagon, my 215#s, and temps only in the low 50s, it has hit 13.395 with just the AP Stage 1 93 mod. Car has 25K miles and runs great, gets acceptable mileage, and only burns a quart of Mobil 1 5w-30 every 3K miles.
Ron

And that's why I'd do it softly again. To me, a quart every 3K is significant.

Look around the Forum, 3k per quart is pretty good among the threads. For a car (mine) that hits redline regularly every time it is driven, and with most shifts in the 4-5K rom range, I see no issue with it. It is similar to what I have had on n/a performance cars with manual trannies, and to duplicate it with a turbo engine is quite good IMHO.

Actually, one of the arguments for a hard beak-in is to give BETTER ring seating.

Ron

Killed it quickly..within a couple hundred miles or so. I notice NO oil consumption at all at my 5,500 mile oil changes. My average mpg around town is 22, on the highway it sits around 31..both figures are by computer avg. I'm also Stg 2. Car runs smooth and has no problems.

Awaiting my 05 MT LGT LImited Wagon delivery. Broke in my 02 WRX pretty gently, with occasional transgressions beyone 3.5K rpm, (for 3K miles!!!) Never had any problems (oil changes only, minimal loss) through 60K miles with Cobb Stage II, driven to the max almost daily.

I didn't buy my car brand new, so I can't comment on this with a first hand experience. However I do own a high performance motorcycle and surf to a very popular motorcyle forum, and me along with the majority of people over there break their engine's in as 'break it in as your going to ride it'. If your going to be shifting at redline 75% of the time or will use the bike for track, break it in at high revs. However these are high performance engines that redline at 16k verus a standard 4-cyld. 2.5l engine (in my case).

So I'd say if your going to drive the hell out of your car or track it, break it in that way. But if its just for commuting and u dont hit redline to often, it wont hurt to break it in to subaru's recommendations.

Driving techniques and styles affect a lot of things, from oil consumption to mileage. Very hard to compare.

At some theoretical level, driving your car like grandma versus my driving style.....with all other factors being equal.....may show that grandma's engine stays within leakdown specs for 275K miles, whereas maybe I only get 250K.

I've been doing the hard break-in for many years on many cars, and they were invariably better-running examples.

Finally proved long-term effects to myself with my first Taurus SHO that I bought new (3.0 DOHC engine, 7K redline) in '89. Drove it hard every day for 10 years and 182K miles (dino oil religiously every 3K). Consumption went from none (between changes) to a quart every 2,500 miles, and this was after about 170K or so. My buddy still owns the car with about 220K on it, and it runs strong (body is rusting away, however).

Ron

I have a 90 mile daily commute, and frequently see redline as well, my oil consumption is about 1qt p/6k miles on avg.(Currently have 39k mi) The oil use is also dependant on what weight/brand of oil used. M1 is known to evaporate quicker than others...

BTW, I broke mine in like I stole it!

Broke it in like I stole it(:icon_twis ) but not like i stole it to chop it up and part it out. Drive 40+ miles per day for commute, mostly highway, ZERO oil consumption changed every 3,000mi. Generally dirve about 80mph.:)
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

I disagree, that amount of oil is seriously a major concern.

My MY01 goes in for a service ever 7.5Miles and never gets oil inbetween.

Ada///M.

What's more of a concern is your car needs service every 7.5 miles! :lol:

I broke my wagon in gently. Contributing factor was that I hadn't driven a MT since killing my Festiva in 2000 (you could park that thing in a Kleenex box), so I wanted to reacquaint myself with the whole three pedal thing. Also since the car was faster than anything I had driven in twenty years, I felt that we should get to know each other better before gettin' all sweaty.

I went with a break in procedure somewhere between the two extremes, gently vs "drive it like you stole it." It worked well for me, as I have no noticeable oil consumption between changes.

My drive in to work is an 80 mile roundtrip of half backroads, and half highway. I generally tried to keep the revs under 4k, although I did exceed that when necessary. However, I used my sportshifters to vary the gears so that I was rarely at a constant rpm.

avoided going the same speeds for long period's of time, tried to give it proper warm up time, didn't exactly 'drive it like I stole it' , but didn't baby it by any means.

I absolutely love this engine- despite it's pig-slow'edness (I have a Naturally Aspirated 2.5) I swear every day it gets stronger and stronger..

every 4 I've ever owned, after 3 years feels gutless, At one point, I swore I'd never own another 4 ever, and I'm happy I made the exception.

I kept it under 4000k for the first 1k miles except for a few high rpm runs then a few mid rpm runs. I wouldnt say that I drove it like I stole it but I didnt baby it either. Im not at 3500 miles on Amsoil 5w-30 and I have had no oil consumption and the car pulls very hard. This is how I broke-in my WRX and I will do the same to my 07 STI :)

avoided going the same speeds for long period's of time, tried to give it proper warm up time, didn't exactly 'drive it like I stole it' , but didn't baby it by any means.

I absolutely love this engine- despite it's pig-slow'edness (I have a Naturally Aspirated 2.5) I swear every day it gets stronger and stronger..

every 4 I've ever owned, after 3 years feels gutless, At one point, I swore I'd never own another 4 ever, and I'm happy I made the exception.

exactly how i did mines, except i have a gt.

If my Leg burnt a quart of oil every 3k I would be pissed. Thats not right, I am sorry to disagree. You must be beating the snot out of it if thats what you are burning.

I drive mix of hard and mellow, never beyond what the car is truly capable of. Sometimes I read these threads and wonder if some drivers forget this is not a F1 car. If your car is burning a quart, or three quarts, and you think that is normal here is some advice. Get a grip.

If my Leg burnt a quart of oil every 3k I would be pissed. Thats not right, I am sorry to disagree. You must be beating the snot out of it if thats what you are burning.

I drive mix of hard and mellow, never beyond what the car is truly capable of. Sometimes I read these threads and wonder if some drivers forget this is not a F1 car. If your car is burning a quart, or three quarts, and you think that is normal here is some advice. Get a grip.

Cant be mad.... he has it right u know.

Ada///M.

personally I let the oil warm up first, got to

operating temps, then kill'd it everytime,

I even punched it a couple of times... hitting

rev limiter was fun hehe :D

Warm up the oil....kill it

Warm up the oil... kill it

.... works everytime

I'm at 60K kms with synth and don't notice any oil loss

between 6000km oil changes. I switched to synth

at 25K kms. Let grandmas break in their cars grandma