LegacyGT.com

Engine bay detailing question..

I want to give the engine bay a nice cleaning/detailing. I know i need to use something that is non-combustible. Should I stick with Simple Green or is there something else out there that works better..

Thanks

CD2 is regarded as the gold standard around here. But if you don't want to go buy something or can't find it (I think folks have usually found it at AutoZone) I personally think Simple Green is ok. I've heard some people say it might damage plastic or the finish on some metals. I've personally never had this problem. But any time I've used it, I've been careful not to let any of it sit too long before washing it off.

So, as the saying goes, use Simple Green at your own risk - if you're comfortable with it, I wouldn't be afraid to use it. Otherwise check out your local AutoZone and pick up some CD2.

^^ If the engine bay is seriously dirty, some simple green on a rag and a hose would prob be a good first step.

CD2 does work pretty awesomely but then again my engine bay was new when I started using it ;)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/3142315004_cbcbbe1dca_b.jpg

Just use your favorite engine degreaser (I use the NAPA stuff as its the cheapest usually) and then afterwards spray with CD2 and wipe excess off for a nice matte finish.

I notice our engine bays get dirty real damn quickly though because in two to three weeks the dust builds up on my nice and clean engine.

34 years of owning cars and I think I have cleaned an engine bay once or twice. Have experienced no detrimental effects other than a bunch of extra free time to be used doing something a LOT more enjoyable. Nobody except me and an occasional Subaru tech sees it, and neither of us have complained.
It is still ugly.

Over the past 35 years I've hosed down every car I've owned. From a 1966 Ford Galaxy 500 to my current car. People say it's a bad idea, but I've never had a problem.

I have been wondering this for a while bc i want to clean my engine and i people go nuts when i asked if it was ok to wash it down with water i heard everything from i can crack my engine block to i cab fry my alternator im guessing there really isnt that good of a chance of that happening is there?

It would be pretty damn tough to crack your engine block since they tolerate car washes, winter conditions, etc. The alternator is a valid concern if you are completely careless with the hose/sprayer - just avoid super-dousing the alternator and that should be fine. Use common sense in general. Don't try to go crazy on any one area with the water, and you'll be fine. Might be wise to avoid directly spraying the battery as well. ;)

Over the past 35 years I've hosed down every car I've owned. From a 1966 Ford Galaxy 500 to my current car. People say it's a bad idea, but I've never had a problem.

I guess its time to hose it down then. People told me its bad because water will get in the engine...

I have to be careful not to get my AEM CAI wet.:eek:

I usually simple green mist everything that's lower than basic visual eye and hose it down. Then blow dry the top section and CD2.

If I just want a quick job of it looking good but not cleaned all the way down then you just warm up the engine turn the car off and spray CD2 and close the hood for about 15 minutes then come back and towel off whatever sections look a bit damp and you're done.

Archived