LegacyGT.com

emergency brake frozen

So last night we got a ton of snow, it's -11 this morning. I drove in the snow last night, at least 6" worth of it, and apparently some water got in there and froze up. This morning I couldn't get the car to budge.

Suggestions on getting the damn brake to disengage? I've tried pulling it up and down a few times, gave the car some throttle in R, and she won't move for me.

I thought about going WOT to get it to release but decided to pass on that since it seemed like it would be real hard on the car and I don't want to break something.

TIA

PS: It's an automatic transmission.

Anyhow, I bought the heat gun and warmed the crap out of it. Was able to get water dripping out of those shoes. Unfortunately the car still wouldn't budge for me. I put it in reverse and said screw it, went WOT, but couldn't build up any more than about 2200 revs. Probably because of the auto and the stall. That wasn't enough to break the bond. So I thought about it a minute and decided to try putting it in drive (aka 1st gear in this situation) for one last try. I'm not sure why but in drive it was able to get it to pop loose. I was avoiding trying that because reverse should've done the trick anyway. And the car was close to the garage door. So didn't want to smack into it. It did lurch but not far enough before I caught it to hit the door.

Tonight I kept the parking brake off. Once bitten twice shy. Will not be using it again in the winter unless absolutely necessary.

It's a habit partly because of all the years of driving manual cars. And I've always been told it's a little easier on the transmission if the tooth isn't being used to hold the car in place. On an incline/decline that's more of an issue. Still, it's lame the thing froze up like that. Either way I know better now. I've had them freeze up before on other cars but never as bad as this one this morning.

deep snow for miles is ok ..

one snow bank just before you park your car is bad

deep snow for miles keeps the parts below freezing

Have to agree, When I drive to work, 30 miles than do donuts in the parking lot the wheels get full of snow. When I drive home later the tires are out of balance.

The snow melted and settled in the bottom and froze in the wheels.

Lesson learned.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

AT is certainly not better on these cars, if we had a DSG, Porsche, Ferrari, or Lamborghini then maybe, but thats about it.

thats only because your not making a lot of power

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Why did you get an AT if you drive a stick?

Only one reason. My wife. She doesn't want to learn a manual. She needs to be able to drive the car during winters when her focus doesn't cut it.

I'm not bowled over by the auto in these cars. It shifts OK, does the job, but it takes a lotta throttle to get it to downshift. I'm on the stock tune and I have no idea if the aftermarket/open source tunes on these cars addresses that issue. I know it does in other vehicles. Either way, I'm leaving it stock for now.

And yeah automatics do pretty much take the cake if you're making a ton of power and want to go fast in a straight line. :)

Archived