LegacyGT.com

Ej255 No oil pressure.

Just bought a 2005 legacy gt with the ej255. The previous owner had it taken to a shop for a blown turbo. They replaced it and it blew not even 1,000 miles later. They put yet another turbo on and it blew again. They then realized to check oil pressure and found it was at 0 psi. And to top it off the oil pressure switch was disconnected. The owner ended up selling the car and I bought it. I don't know too much about Subarus, but would replacing the oil pump bring the car back to life. When started for a second it did not sound like the engine was knocking. Has a new turbo on it. This car only has 155,000 miles. Thanks for the replies.

Welcome to your nightmare.

Read the sticky's in the next forum down about turbo's. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turbo-failure-wiki-173358.html

these cars built from late 2005 - mid 2006 have a oil pick up that can crack and give you low oil pressure.

Read the threads about removing the banjo filters.

After 3 turbo's, chances are you have metal in the oil system. You'll need to either take an oil sample and send it to Blackstone Labs, and or drop the oil pan and have a look inside. Metal in the oil can cause damage to the cam journals so don't start the engine again until you know there is no metal in the oil system. It may be to late for the engine bearings. You may be able to save the heads, if you don't start it.

for idea on what to do for a new short block and rebuild see my click here link. There's talk about forged pistons there but you don't need those, I didn't bother with them for my HP goals.

You've come to the right place, everything you need to know is here.

Read and then ask questions, don't spend any money until you check with us.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A update: I drained the oil at lunch and found that there is indeed metal in the oil. Most likely the turbos that have blown. Any how have yet to pull the pan and check the pick up tube.

What's the build date on the car, it's on the sticker in the drivers door jam.

If you got metal in the oil...ynansb which turns into having the heads rebuilt, remove both banjo filters.

PM JmP6889928 and have him rebuild the turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

A update: I drained the oil at lunch and found that there is indeed metal in the oil. Most likely the turbos that have blown. Any how have yet to pull the pan and check the pick up tube.

Metal in the oil equals metal circling around in your motor which will equal a blown motor and another turbo down the road. You're best option is a new or rebuilt motor and turbo, along with replacing the oil pump and all the oil tubes.

My wife's balls are delicious.

The sticker on the door says 07/04. I have looked in to a remanufactured engine by broken boxer. I was seeing since it does not sound bad (yet) what I could do to get oil pressure and drive it before the engine goes.

The metal in the motor will circulate and keep blowing turbos if you drive it. You might be able to flush the engine with a crap ton of oil, replace some of the more easily accessible parts (like oil cooler), install an easily serviceable turbo oil feed filter and drive it while it blows.

Just understand that the engine is already "blown". Everything you do at this point is just prolonging the rebuild (and potentially damaging other parts)

Oil pressure switch (if it's the one I am thinking of, just basically throws a CEL when oil pressure is way too low (damage has already been done). I wonder if the other owner removed it for his own after-market gauge.

The owner before me bought it for $6,000 and it was in "working" condition. Till he found out that the oil pressure gauge was disconnected. I do under stand that it will probably need to be rebuilt. And I'm not sure if I should rebuild it my self or get a long reman engine. I found one of those for $3,500. But I'm not sure as of yet.

• 2 weeks later...
So I tore my Subaru to get the oil pump off. And I found that the pressure relief valve was stuck open resulting in the no oil pressure. I I got a new pump and put it in and primed the car and then started it and there was oil pressure. No knocking and runs great. I know that it wore the bearings a lot. But I'll see how long this car will drive. Thanks again for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...
So far so good. I've done four oil changes in 500 miles. And I ordered a flush from Subaru. Car has been great. Time will tell. Worst case I'll get a new engine and turbo like expected. But for three hundred to drive it for now has been worth it.

I've put over 7,000 miles on mine since I bought it in "turbo failure" condition. Still has a slight knock but otherwise runs fine. Rebuilt short block is here but need to get my other cars in shape before I start on this.

• 1 year later...
Ok. Was not able to get a new post going. So I’ll add on to this. I got a new engine. Runs great. But. Problem is I had some issues and was trying to fix them. I ended up stripping the banjo bolt that goes into the vvcs. That part is part of the head. I’m trying to locate a new one. But cannot find it anywhere. Any help would be very much appreciated

Ok. Was not able to get a new post going. So I’ll add on to this. I got a new engine. Runs great. But. Problem is I had some issues and was trying to fix them. I ended up stripping the banjo bolt that goes into the vvcs. That part is part of the head. I’m trying to locate a new one. But cannot find it anywhere. Any help would be very much appreciated

Any dealership will have one. Look on your local dealers web site in there part dept.

Moral hazard I don’t have pics at the moment. But it’s on the drivers side and it’s the part that holds the cams in place. I was told to take it off and try taping it and or try putting a hilicoil in it or timesert.

look at the $5.00 bolt, the last one on the list of parts as you scroll down the link.

https://parts.suburbansubaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-GT-Limited-Sedan-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD/SCREW-UNION/49227605/15194AA270.html

ns, might try a junkyard for that part.

Not sure what the dealer cost would be.

Have you looked on your local dealers website ?

May be contact Benny at post 161 here ,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243p5.html

Archived