LegacyGT.com

EJ22t rebuild parts list?

Im posting this thread in both First and Second Gen.

Hello I was wondering If anyone could confirm this to be a good parts list for an engine rebuild.

Pistons JE 97.5mm

Main and Rod Journal size Id keep standard with a phase one 75mm crankshaft

Manley Turbo Tuff connecting rods

new 11mm head studs

STI OEM oil pump

.030 head gasket

ej20 heads for better flow

gates timing belt kit for ej20 heads

New harmonic balancer

AEM stand alone ECU

I also want a new exhaust system along with a wrx or a sti aftermarket turbo

Please tell me if any of theis parts will go through my engine I dont plan on using its full power with all of this but I want it to be their for track days ever once in a while

i would post this in the engine rebuild section as well... there are a couple guru's over there that mostly just troll that section and would be happy to set you in a good direction.

the oil pump itself may be overkill but i would look into a new pickup and windage tray/plate. killer bee and mishimoto both make top of the line ones. but i think a oem sti or others would be an improvement to yours since i think your pickup has no bracing.

ARP head studs GOOD

king engine and rod bearings are good too i have 20k miles on mine with no BOOM yet but thats only for a stock ej251. when i was looking into bearings ACL bearings had a lot of not so great reviews by the DIY engine builders and used to be a go to brand so be weary.

when buying bearings make sure they ask you were your thrust bearing is located yours will be in #3 and not #5. or centered/middle

gates kits are also on the hot seat right now, have lots of kits out with cheapo parts look into Asin kits for quality

dealerships also have master gasket kits that will have every seal you will come across, but since you are mixing block and heads it might not interest you, and i was just trying to think of the nearest dealership to Gunny and its probably over Kepler and McClure in Glenwood. fun drive but probably not to just grab some parts.

with any build you got to get that clear timing belt cover so you can see all the shiny.

i would post this in the engine rebuild section as well... there are a couple guru's over there that mostly just troll that section and would be happy to set you in a good direction.

the oil pump itself may be overkill but i would look into a new pickup and windage tray/plate. killer bee and mishimoto both make top of the line ones. but i think a oem sti or others would be an improvement to yours since i think your pickup has no bracing.

ARP head studs GOOD

king engine and rod bearings are good too i have 20k miles on mine with no BOOM yet but thats only for a stock ej251. when i was looking into bearings ACL bearings had a lot of not so great reviews by the DIY engine builders and used to be a go to brand so be weary.

when buying bearings make sure they ask you were your thrust bearing is located yours will be in #3 and not #5. or centered/middle

gates kits are also on the hot seat right now, have lots of kits out with cheapo parts look into Asin kits for quality

dealerships also have master gasket kits that will have every seal you will come across, but since you are mixing block and heads it might not interest you, and i was just trying to think of the nearest dealership to Gunny and its probably over Kepler and McClure in Glenwood. fun drive but probably not to just grab some parts.

with any build you got to get that clear timing belt cover so you can see all the shiny.

Thanks and the closest dealership Is in Grand Junction or atleast thats the biggest closest. Are you going to be at the festival also? Id love to see a fellow forum members car. Also thanks for the reminder on the clear cover and how gates has started using china for parts I dont want to use them again.

Pistons JE 97.5mm

Main and Rod Journal size Id keep standard with a phase one 75mm crankshaft

Manley Turbo Tuff connecting rods

new 11mm head studs

STI OEM oil pump

.030 head gasket

ej20 heads for better flow

gates timing belt kit for ej20 heads

New harmonic balancer

AEM stand alone ECU

I also want a new exhaust system along with a wrx or a sti aftermarket turbo

Please tell me if any of theis parts will go through my engine I dont plan on using its full power with all of this but I want it to be their for track days ever once in a while

ARP head studs are a must if you're going to boost it like I think you are :cool:

I'm a fan of the King bearings, used them in my engine build, overkill maybe, but I scored them for $30 a set for main and rod bearings

If you're going to do EJ20 heads, track down a set of EJ20X heads. They are probably the best flowing heads out there. Second is EJ25D heads, in terms of Phase 1. My dream build would be an EJ22T block with 20X or lower the compression even more with 25D heads. If you use 25D heads, you'll need the timing kit for a 96-99 2.5, then just use Cometic custom head gaskets for the 2.5 head on the 2.2 bore. You can get them to custom make it any thickness.

An EJ22T with the 97.5mm pistons, stock rod length with EJ25D heads with a 1.5mm (0.059 in) gasket will give you 6.28:1 compression ratio. With EJ20X heads and a .75mm (0.03 in) gasket will give you 6.41:1 compression ratio. If you ran the EJ20X heads with the stock gasket thickness (0.059), you'll lower your compression ratio to around 6.1:1 :eek:

You're going to want a bigger intercooler and turbo....you know, for track days ;)

ARP head studs are a must if you're going to boost it like I think you are :cool:

I'm a fan of the King bearings, used them in my engine build, overkill maybe, but I scored them for $30 a set for main and rod bearings

If you're going to do EJ20 heads, track down a set of EJ20X heads. They are probably the best flowing heads out there. Second is EJ25D heads, in terms of Phase 1. My dream build would be an EJ22T block with 20X or lower the compression even more with 25D heads. If you use 25D heads, you'll need the timing kit for a 96-99 2.5, then just use Cometic custom head gaskets for the 2.5 head on the 2.2 bore. You can get them to custom make it any thickness.

An EJ22T with the 97.5mm pistons, stock rod length with EJ25D heads with a 1.5mm (0.059 in) gasket will give you 6.28:1 compression ratio. With EJ20X heads and a .75mm (0.03 in) gasket will give you 6.41:1 compression ratio. If you ran the EJ20X heads with the stock gasket thickness (0.059), you'll lower your compression ratio to around 6.1:1 :eek:

You're going to want a bigger intercooler and turbo....you know, for track days ;)

Thanks for all the Info and I dont know allot about compression ratios but 6:1:1 sounds to low to even start. And what fuel ingectors and ECU would you use on your "dream" build?

6:1 allows you to use a much larger, read higher PSI numbers, turbo. As far as my dream build, I'd want to run about 20 lbs of boost on that motor, so I'd probably go with some 750cc injectors with a Walbro 255 fuel pump. Those injectors will handle around 450HP and pump up to 500HP, which at 20 lbs, you'll see around ~400 Crank HP.

Since I'd be retaining most of the factory wiring harness, I'd do a Greddy piggyback ECU. Basically, you splice into just the wiring that controls the engine from the main harness and leaves everything else. Then the Greddy intercepts the signals that control the engine and discards them, outputs your custom tuned values to the engine, throws back default values to the factory ECU so it's happy and doesn't throw a CEL. The Subaru ECU thinks you have a plain jane engine under the hood. Think of it as the man in the middle. Simpler wiring, no need to tear apart your dash to run new wires, and most tuners can work with it.

Archived