LegacyGT.com

eekay's 2nd Gen LGT STi Hybrid (Assault) Wagon.

Well, I've been working on this wagon for some time but I wanted to wait until it was somewhat reliable until getting a build thread going. There is still a lot to do (especially body work) but the car is running great thus far and I figured I would being the thread now. :)

Engine:

Phase I DOHC EJ25D Hybrid (EJ257 Shortblock)

TD04 turbo @ 16-18 lbs. peak boost

AVO TMIC

PerfectPower SMT-6 Engine Management (piggy-back)

Custom coolant hoses and oil feed lines (made by yours truly)

Gates belts (haven't swapped my pulleys yet. :( )

Custom cam shafts built by Delta Cam (264 weld and grind)

Supertech valve springs and retainers

GFB Hybrid BPV/BOV

Suspension:

Tien Racing Springs

KYB GR2 struts

Paranoid Fabrications 1/2" rear spacers with stud kit

Interior:

Custom A-Pillar gauge pod(s) by JCS Pods

LED gauge modification for everything else in the car (SuperBrightLEDs.com)

JDM Momo steering wheel (air bag disabled, cruise control relocated)

SPO Motorsports short-shifter

JDM aluminum kick-guards

JDM floor mats

JDM climate control (not working completely yet...)

Exterior:

JDM projector headlights (converted to USDM, cleared and HID kit)

JDM projector fog lights

JDM rear tail lights

JDM window air guards

DRAG 18x7.5 wheels (can't remember the model #...)

Hancook tires (summer)

Yokohama Ice Guard tires (winter)

Sorry. Gonna have to finish later. I'll upload some pictures and stuff as soon as I update. :)

20120812_195108.thumb.jpg.6db89de99295fb49709a58b001ea4b40.jpg

20120812_195121.thumb.jpg.254854c1b4a4b18cc904e56b7f1bcb8e.jpg

20120812_195135.thumb.jpg.889ffb8c95dd52de651178b0b9fdb040.jpg

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So did you have to do anything to wiring for the ej257 shortblock?

Nope. Nothing like that. Pretty much straight forward. Very simple.

Update already. Want to see some pics.

Haha. In due time. I'll try to get some stuff up by tomorrow.

Engine:

PerfectPower SMT-6 Engine Management (piggy-back)

Not sure what I'm going to go with yet. This is temporary. I'm debating between a PowerFC, EMS or Haltech. I keep hearing all kinds of good stuff about each so I'm in a toss-up about 'em. What do you think?

• I Donated

Its basically whatever name you like better...each of them do pretty much the same thing.

Who is going to be tuning your car? Talk to some local tuners and pick one out. Ask them what they reccomend...because they may not be comfortable tuning some ECUs. You want to choose something that they are comfortable with

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Well, I have friends with Haltech's and they do their own tuning. I'd like to be able to learn from them so I can play with/adjust my tune as I see fit. However, I have some friends that swear by PowerFC's and the place I'm going to have do my "final" tune recommends EMS (they feel it is the best but they can tune all of the above...) So, I'm kinda just debating. Honestly, as long as the ECU makes my car run better at low RPM's (right now it has virtually now power), run E85 on it and do a speed density setup, I don't care. I'll most likely end up going with Haltech I think due to ease of installation and built-in options. *shrugs*

That's my understanding. I believe you can also do a speed density setup with any of them as well. However, cam settings, timing, etc... are less available. Especially with my current PP-6. I believe my cams are the issue with the low-end power. Hopefully, I can make adjustments with the new standalone.

Crazy... I was actually going to mention that as a possibility. I've only known one other person that used a Megasquirt but they're in love with it. Seems strange that it's so cheap. What's up with that? :)

• I Donated
Its considered an entry level system I guess....and its not really plug and play as much as the other ones are. You basically build your ECU box and wire everything yourself. Its much more involved and an EXCELLENT learning process. Its easy to tune too. I learned everything I know about tuning on Megasquirt....and it can do everything that the other ones can too

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Hrmm. I don't really need a plug-n-play as I'm quite familiar with the wiring and have done it many, MANY times. I'm kind of computer/wiring freak. So, that shouldn't be a problem. :) What kind of interface does it use? Does it have any kind of built-in feedback for gauges or anything? If I were to get a Megasquirt standalone, what would be the recommended parts and/or accessories for it that would give me a solid start?

• I Donated

It depends on what version you run. I had Megasquirt 1, but it wasn't compatable with Subaru ignition, so I had to use Ford EDIS. I believe MS2 and 3 will work with Subaru ignition though.

browse around on http://www.diyautotune.com and check out some of the stuff. You will need the harness, trigger wheel, etc

This would be my shopping list if I were to go with MS3

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtiii-ems-system-v357-assembled-unit-black-case-p-420.html

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/34-361-trigger-wheel-p-181.html - has to be modified to fit our crank pulley

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/1239-megasquirt-wiring-harness-for-ms3x-p-451.html

As well, you will need a MAP sensor. I had one from a Ford Mustang and I did speed density tuning. Also you will need a wideband o2 sensor (I had AEM) in order to get accurate tuning.

You can download Megatune or TunerStudio and start exploring a little bit. THose are the programs you can tune Megasquirt with it. I like TunerStudio myself....If you just hook up your laptop to the ECU while the cars running you get all kinds of cool gauges.

one thing i loved about MS is that support was GREAT. i had posted on the MS forums a few times about problems, and usually someone at diyautotune responded with an answer the same or next day. ive even had them adjust my tunes for me....and whenever i made my own changes i always sent it over to them with data logs to make sure everything was looking ok.

one thing that I never got a chance to play with that MS does is flat shifting and launch control....as well, it has nitrous control, blah blah blah blah blah

you can find more info about megasquirt at the following links

http://www.msefi.com/

http://www.msextra.com/

http://www.ms3efi.com/

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Nice! Thanks a ton! I'll definitely check it out. What's up with the crank pulley modification? Wiring or physical? MAP sensor shouldn't be a problem (as long as placement isn't a huge deal...)

As far as software, are all of these for Windows only? I'm more looking along the lines of something that can be tuned without Windows (I don't have it and I SERIOUSLY don't want it...) Perhaps there is some sort of tuning hardware piece or connector you can buy? Like a PowerFC commander, but can be used to tune? *shrug* Sorry, I absolutely hate Windows... I would hate for my car to be the only thing that absolutely requires it... FOSS/OpenSource FTW!

• I Donated

I don't know if there are any non-windows options.

The trigger wheel for the crank pulley has to be welded to the back of the crank pulley. You need to cut out the center of it to make it fit. You might not have to do that with MS3...I'm not sure...but I know I had to do it with MS1.

I'm sure you could run WINE under *nix or run a VM in order to do your tuning

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Yeah. That's always an options. WinE would be best due to be not actually having to run Winblowz. VM would be a bit more rough because I'd have to find a version of Windows and most likely pay for it *wink*... I'll see what I can dig up about each software.

Thanks again for the help.

• 6 months later...
Updates! I know I've been neglecting the piss outta this thread, but no longer! Just a few teaser pics to give you an idea of what I'm going to attempt. If anyone has any experience doing this, sort of stuff, lemme know if you have any tips for me. :)

20120519_175733.thumb.jpg.ae24147ffead59a3258fbc07cf473de8.jpg

20120519_175744.thumb.jpg.0d944ec3cbc78106777bdb52c84aff3d.jpg

20120519_175754.thumb.jpg.52c67bf4bb97fbaeb9bb744b8977ae1b.jpg

20120519_175805.thumb.jpg.2da390a62e9c5b8f4455c33edc290d4a.jpg

20120519_175816.thumb.jpg.9389f97f5a94f03e7bac9f9fa93cc0c5.jpg

20120519_175831.thumb.jpg.635811a40e6780cfaf8ab357a6a40856.jpg

20120519_175851.thumb.jpg.a0f7e6a469f63822f937fc4e8235270d.jpg

20120519_195934.thumb.jpg.45d9a4e7832f83cfbe0427df021ddb47.jpg

20120519_195947.thumb.jpg.69136d9d85e1920b4d4052de701e7549.jpg

20120519_200025.thumb.jpg.809a10b8f2ed6c1b087696facdfadf19.jpg

Email the guys at diy. They told me the ms2 does now run on our. Weird crank trigger cam combo. But one thingni have found is the newer subarus use a 36-1 trigger wheel and no cam sensor at all. And the ms2 does that to. Plus one less sensor then and a much higher res signal from the 36-1. Ill be going Ms. In the next few weeks so we can help each other.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using TapaTalk 2

Archived