LegacyGT.com

ECUFlash not working but RomRaider is

gotsugg

I’ve just completed installation on my latest mods and I’m now working to flash my new base map. As luck would have it, I’m having issues with ECUflash. RomRaider connects and logs fine but ECUflash just won’t connect. I read there was a comm. port setting and I have set it on the RomRaider software but can’t find it in ECUfalsh. Any ideas?.

EcuFlash tries to discover the comm port, and sometimes it guesses wrong. Try disabling all of your other serial ports, if you have any. I had issues with a bluetooth serial port, and after getting rid of that I still need to disable my WBO2's serial port in order to flash.

But - and this is more likely - unless you have a CAN-bus car, you need to connect the green connectors in the passenger footwell. Did you? What year car do you have?

I’ve just completed installation on my latest mods and I’m now working to flash my new base map. As luck would have it, I’m having issues with ECUflash. RomRaider connects and logs fine but ECUflash just won’t connect. I read there was a comm. port setting and I have set it on the RomRaider software but can’t find it in ECUfalsh. Any ideas?.

What cable are you using?

I have an 05 LGT. I did have the test leads connected. I'm running a Tactrix 1.3,,,,, because I couldn't get the VAGcom cable to work. I have not messed with the comm ports. Since I was able to connect with RR I assumed they were ok.

Let me add some detail, when I try to "read from ECU" a small box opens but there is no info in it. Only the cancel botton is active. I feel like I am missing something.

Also, at the very bottom right, there is a box that says "no vehicle interface", at some point it changes to show the Taxtric as it's interface... but nothing happens

The icon that say's "read from ecu" will become available to click. Also, make sure you are connecting the green test cables on the passengers side of the car and that you are closed out of romraider

With green test leads connected, Tactrix connected, key off and only ECUflash running on my laptop, the only two icons that appear as active are “open rom” and “Read from ECU”. I know ECUflash is seeing the ECU because the “Reading from ECU” icon become active when I plug in the cable.

Questions, should any of the other icons be active before reading ECU? I suspect they become active after you read ECU the first time. I have not changed comm. Port baud rate but I will try that next.

I turned on the key after everything was plugged in. Sorry, I didn't mention that. Still nothing. The "Read from ECU" box opens but there is nothing listed inside it. I think I will uninstall and reinstall ECUflash. Somethings just isn't right.

As for the comm port, wouldn't ECUflash use the same exact comm settings as RR would? As I understand it, you have to have RR loaded on the laptop so that ECUflash can use the tactrix driver. I don't see how changing comm settings will help.

I turned on the key after everything was plugged in. Sorry, I didn't mention that. Still nothing. The "Read from ECU" box opens but there is nothing listed inside it. I think I will uninstall and reinstall ECUflash. Somethings just isn't right.

The EcuFlash installer adds the necessary drivers.

What happens when you press the 'read from ECU' button?

I'm not sure what you mean by "nothing listed inside it" but it sounds to me like you're looking for something that isn't present on my system.

As for the comm port, wouldn't ECUflash use the same exact comm settings as RR would? As I understand it, you have to have RR loaded on the laptop so that ECUflash can use the tactrix driver. I don't see how changing comm settings will help.

Like I said earlier:

EcuFlash tries to discover the comm port, and sometimes it guesses wrong. Try disabling all of your other serial ports, if you have any. I had issues with a bluetooth serial port, and after getting rid of that I still need to disable my WBO2's serial port in order to flash.

But first, tell us what happens when you press the 'read from ECU' button.

Better yet, copy the text from the EcuFlash log window and paste it here.

I reloaded the drivers for the cable and ECUflash itself and it still doesn’t do anything. I am convinced it is connected to the ECU thru comm. Port 7 and everything from a connectivity stand point is fine.

So one last thought, I recently unmarried (reverted to stock) from a Cobb AP V1, I vaguely recall reading about an issue when doing this. Is there possibly something I am missing there? Is there a step I missed when reverting to stock? Could that be keeping ECUflash from connecting to the ECU? :confused:

Thanks

QUOTE]

When the cable is plugged in the "read from ECU" icon appears, it is not there if you open ecuflash without the cable. So that tells me the software is smart enough to detect the connection of the cable and/or ecu.

Ok, once I press the button, a small box appears in the middle of the screen with no text in it and two buttons on the bottom “Read” and “Cancel”. Only the cancel button is active. What am I missing?

QUOTE]

When the cable is plugged in the "read from ECU" icon appears, it is not there if you open ecuflash without the cable. So that tells me the software is smart enough to detect the connection of the cable and/or ecu.

Ok, once I press the button, a small box appears in the middle of the screen with no text in it and two buttons on the bottom “Read” and “Cancel”. Only the cancel button is active. What am I missing?

it sounds like ecuflash isn't loading the rom meta data properly. what's supposed to happen is this:

1) read ECU icon lights up (you're fine here)

2) you click on the read ECU icon, and the window pops up (you're fine)

3) inside the window is supposed to be a list of different years and cars and you're supposed to choose "05-06 subaru dbw models fxt/obxt/lgt/baja" (this is where you're messed up) and then you can press the READ button in that box that pops up.

in ecuflash, check under file->options->metadata directory, and make sure that the right directory is there (it should be "rommetadata") also make sure that in your "c:\program files\openecu\ecuflash\rommetadata" folder there are 3 folders: "mitsubishi", "subaru", and "read templates". if you're in vista64, it'll be c:\program files (x86) instead.

that reinstall of ecuflash you did earlier should have fixed it so this is weird.

Weird it is. Ok, last night after posting my last response, I loaded RR and ECUflash on an old laptop and finally saw the text box with the list of Subaru models. YEAH!!!!!!!!! At that very moment I thought hum, maybe I’m not retarded. I’m not sure what the issue is with the other laptop but you are probably right about the Metadata directory issue. I will look at that a little closer once I get a successful log with my old laptop.

The issue is, and this is the story of my life, the old laptop has a bad connection to the battery. I’ll have to flash with an extension cord and log with my other laptop. It’s pretty comical at this point.

I’ll post my finding shortly. Thanks for all the help.

hey so im kinda havin the same problem with ecuflas h not workin(im new at this by the way). im gettin all the way there until i load the map up... it says unable to read the definitions, idk if theres something else i gotta download to get the most recent deffs or what. any ideas guys?

Make sure you have down loaded the current definitions, unzip them, extract them to a place that you will later tell RR where to find them. It's all listed in the "getting started and RR FAQ's". Follow each step. It also tells you what definitions are and why you need them. Good luck

http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/RomRaiderFAQ

Archived