LegacyGT.com

ECU Flash...that settles it

Okay...went to dealer today for oil change and reflash of ECU due to stuttering as per SOA recommendation...they wanted to charge me $105 to do that!

Wow..

Stage 2 Here I come...sooner rather than later I guess...

Amazing that SOA decides that an ECU reflash is necessary, but if you are out of warranty you will pay for it!

Just a rant....

• Moderators

All this stuttering and ECU reflash talk...how do you know if you have stutter issues? I figured it would be really obvious, but if there are people not realizing it until their warranty is out, maybe not? This is my first turbo car, so could I not realize I have stutter issues?

And OP, definitely some BS that you have to pay for your reflash.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

All this stuttering and ECU reflash talk...how do you know if you have stutter issues? I figured it would be really obvious, but if there are people not realizing it until their warranty is out, maybe not? This is my first turbo car, so could I not realize I have stutter issues?

If you have it, you will feel it under hard acceleration. If you don't notice anything, don't worry about it.

You will feel it and hate it...

I feel it...I hate it..... I bought the car out of warranty so it didn't matter when I felt it....it was too late.

According the the service writer...it wasn't a TSB...just a "notice".....shame huh?

BarManBean .....first , hi ! Second.....if you have the dreaded stutter you can find it like this.....start at a dead stop / then attempt to get to 60 mph as quickly as you can. Watch the tach......at around 2700 -3000 rpms you will feel a sudden drop in acceleration ; almost like the engine cut out for a second / and then it begins to pick up speed once again.

The re-flash TSB fr my model worked and Subaru did charge me one hour labor(even though it only takes ten minutes). I agree it's total B.S. that we have to pay for their OEM screw-up , but they got us by the danglers. :)

Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Not to hijack your thread OP.

But has anyone with a a tune had engine problems and had it repair under warranty?

I have the Subaru Certified Warranty, and I dont want to give that up but would sure like to got stage 2. I am sure this is covered elsewhere, but I would love to get rid of my engine stutter.......

But has anyone with a a tune had engine problems and had it repair under warranty?

I have the Subaru Certified Warranty, and I dont want to give that up but would sure like to got stage 2. I am sure this is covered elsewhere, but I would love to get rid of my engine stutter.......

Good question. Cobb tuner says you can set it back to stock for trips to the dealership, but can't they tell it's been changed before?

B-Power-B .......I can't speak about warranty repairs after modding , because I too have the Subaru extended warranty and have waited to mod. I paid Subaru their one hour labor gladly just to get rid of that damn stutter ! (When you divide the number of times you drive into the $100......its pennies ! ) It's so nice with smooth linear acceleration ....I can't imagine how much nicer stage 2 would be !(But I can tell you this.....as soon as that warranty is done----Im going all out ! )

Well.... I have 5 yrs or 85k miles left before I mod..... I had Subaru reflash my car about 2 months ago. It helped but there is still some hesitation, and it varies on what RPM.

Still would like to hear people with a tune and if they have had any trouble getting warranty work done.

Yeah....I'd like to hear about modding within warranty period too. I have 2 1/2 years or 48K miles left before I can safely mod. I'm gonna be REALLY p****ed off if I find out I didn't have to wait ! :)

Yeah....I'd like to hear about modding within warranty period too. I have 2 1/2 years or 48K miles left before I can safely mod. I'm gonna be REALLY p****ed off if I find out I didn't have to wait ! :)

The truth of the matter is, SOA won't "void" your warranty. However, if they can link your mod to a failure (true or not) they can deny your warranty claim. Sucks.

• 4 months later...

^only a few minutes once they plug it all in.....its a TSB bulletin, SHOULD be free.

....and i'm not sure if i'm the only one that this happened to but- my ECU couldn't be reflashed/updated as it was an '08 car built with an '07 ECU (at least thats what the dealer told me, and they're trustworthy) so they had to replace my ECU THEN do the update....

I bought my car certified pre owned and also purchased the extended coverage for my car. I have an AP and a Stromung exhaust.

Just return back to stock before you go back and they will have a hard time finding parts to complain about or get to know your service writer well and youll be golden.

....and i'm not sure if i'm the only one that this happened to but- my ECU couldn't be reflashed/updated as it was an '08 car built with an '07 ECU (at least thats what the dealer told me, and they're trustworthy) so they had to replace my ECU THEN do the update....

Curious, what's your build date? Mine's an early 2007 and they had no issues updating my ECU.

Not sure what the map changed though, since I did not create map image before doing it. And couldn't find a map elsewhere.

And this re-flash didn't really cure the stutter for me. It went away for a while and then returned, probably a bit weaker then before, but still pretty annoying.

I would imagine mine was done about the same time (I'll check for sure later) as it was at the dealer for at least a year before I bought it in mid '08 (I know this as I had my WRX serviced by the same dealer for the prior 4 years).

The dealer tried numerous times to update/reflash, but the ECU wouldn't accept it on the grounds that it thought it was an '07 whereas the VIN said it was an '08 (or something along those lines.)

Archived