LegacyGT.com

Ebay headers opinions

I know the exhaust thing has been posted and asked over and over. But I can not find exactly what I am looking for.

I want opinions on the ebay Borla knockoff header form Speed Racer Performance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-97-06-Impreza-RS-Legacy-GT-Header_W0QQitemZ170434817873QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27aeb4ef51

and for the AMK GC8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMK-GC8-2-5RS-IMPREZA-FORESTER-LEGACY-STAINLESS-HEADER_W0QQitemZ290394332715QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439cd9de2b

I want opinions from people that have actually purchased one of these items. The ebay stores have really good feed back, but I am only concerned about the quailty, fitment, and ease of installation for what fits the 98 Legacy 2.5 GT. I am not a mechanic but I build machines for a living and have done all the mods on my bike and have rebuilt it a few times. I want good and bad opinions if there are any of each. So guys please help a fellow Legacy owner out. I have to fix the exhaust anyway so I might as well put something on that makes the car sound better. I would get a Borla but they are just too expensive.

Thanks for the help guys or ladys if you have any input. LOL

What gaskets would you recommend? So far the only bad things I have been able to find are the few people that say they don't even close to fitting, then the next guy says they fit fine. I don't mind spending money I just can't afford to waste it or the time.

Which company did your friends come from and is there really a big difference they look very much the same

Thanks for the information.

They all look the same to me as well. I can't recall the company he bought them from on ebay. They were some random company just like the most of them are. The fitment was a pain yes but with enough force we got them on and now they come on and off easy as if they reformed the way they should have.

What I'm saying is when we FIRST got them and tried to get them on they were a tough fit. But now they have reformed and fit perfectly (learned this when we had to take them off to replace one of those terrible almost paper like gaskets.)

For gaskets I would got to a tuner shop or the likes of that around you and just tell them you need gaskets for the headers. Multi-layer ones are great.

Thanks that is the kind of information I am looking for. It sounds like if I am understanding you that the flanges going to the enginewere either too wide or to narrow at first but once you got them on the heat of the engine got the pipes hot and flexible enough that now they are dead on fit. That is about what I would expect from the way these are designed. They are not like headers going on a V8 that stay tucked in to the block, these seem much more like motorcycle headers.

Glade you responded

Yeah, I had a borla replica header on my 99' Forester. Is your 98 LGT a 4EAT or 5MT? If MT, you will have no problems with your oil filter.

My old thread on them: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/lookie-what-ups-brought-me-today-10336/

another helpful one: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f66/replica-borla-headers-vs-real-borlas-66839/

and there are TONS of threads about these on http://www.rs25.com

BTW, where in VA are you?

I have the ebay knoch off headers love the sound please do use subaru guinuine gaskets to prevent any problems, as you dont wanna have to take them off and redo them. They cleared my regular oil filter just fine. when I was at it I replaced most of my exhuast bolts with newer ones 180k and heat wrapped my headers. Best thing i done for my car in performance wise.

I guess you know about the borla ones, as on the real ones the welds crack and there goes your exhuast leak which means takin it to an shop to get it re welded. I had this happen to a friend he bought the borla headers and a exhuast and within a year the headers started to crack at the welds

and the exhuast had a leak.

I have the speedyracer ones on my '05 2.5i.

Both headers are from the same factory, 'topspeed' is the name of the factory I think. The AMK set is what is referred to as the version3. The easiest way to tell the difference is the shape of the engine mount flange. The speedyracer pieces are still v2. Other than the flange, I'm not sure what other improvements were made.

I can tell you that I had to have my v2 headers tweaked a bit to clear the power steering line on my car. I don't think older Subarus have the same configuration so its likely a non-issue for you. The shop that did the tweaking (heated and prybar to get it to move) were suitably impressed with the quality (pipe thickness) of the header. I also had to stretch it a bit to get it to fit onto the studs but this sounds like its the same for most all of these pieces. I did it myself with the car on jackstands so not terribly difficult.

They've been on for a couple years. Only issue I have is a recurring CEL for front O2 sensor failure. I will be wrapping my headers shortly to see if that will cure the issue.

"Is your 98 LGT a 4EAT or 5MT? If MT, you will have no problems with your oil filter"

It is a 5MT So that sounds good. Thanks for the links I will take a look.

"BTW, where in VA are you?" I am in the Charlottesville area.

Thanks for the information

"BTW, where in VA are you?" I am in the Charlottesville area.

Thanks for the information

No prob, and dude thats crazy I'm in Cville too! Let me know if you need any help/extra set of hands for the install. Think I might have an extra header->cat pipe OEM gasket laying around as well that you could have.

So what muffler or axle back or cat back system do you guys have mated with the headers. I can't imagine that headers and the rest stock would make much difference in sound.

On my forester I had the borla replica header-> Stromung HFC pipe-> Stromung midpipe-> Stromung axleback. Full SS and it sounded amazing.

and your right about adding the header to a stock system not producing much added noise. Even a stock sti axleback doesn't let out the nice rumble that a freer flowing muffler like the stromung or magnaflow does.

West coast, thanks for the post I am glad to hear that you like them and they seem to be off good quailty. I had thought of wrapping them. Did that change anything over them unwrapped?

Didnt change much, but i noticed the tone of the exhuast became a little more announced. I mainly did them for fun haha

CDN 2.5i it sounds like the AMK are just the newer version of the headers, which is why they seem to be higher priced. So how do they sound on the car and would you buy then again?

I did buy them again actually, bought a set for $122.49 shipped just to have as a spare set for the future. Thought the price was good and the CDN $ exchange rate has been favorable lately so picked up a set. I think that wrapping my headers will probably shorten their lifespan even if I take precautions... So I thought I'd pick up a set for now.

They sound like any other borla style UEL header - brings out the boxer sound.

West coast, thanks for the post I am glad to hear that you like them and they seem to be off good quailty. I had thought of wrapping them. Did that change anything over them unwrapped?

I would wrap them. Wraping the headders helps you move exhaust out faster cause it leaves hotter. I am wraping mine wraped when I get them.

Alternatively, the arugment against wrapping is that is promotes corrosion of the pipes underneath since the wrap tends to trap moisture, dirt, and particles in.

yeah that is true, but its been a little over a year of rain, and the trips to the snow and I checked them a about a month ago and still look like new!

Archived