LegacyGT.com

Driver's Seat Too Narrow?

IB6UB9

OK, so I have been researching the LGT for about a year now, and I finally had a chance to drive my friend's '05 5EAT for a couple hours on a road trip. After about an hour, I felt like someone had been holding their fist in my back near the side of my back and my right shoulder blade. I asked him if he ever had any problems being uncomfortable in his seat, and he told me that the seat was his only complaint. He said that he has to sit kind of sideways to feel comfortable.

I have a wide back, but nothing too crazy. I am 5'9, 215 lbs with some muscle. My friend is 6'2 and he is chubby, but not obese or anything.

Anyway, I wonder if maybe it was because I was leaning back in my seat a lot because of the 5EAT. I want the 5MT, and I think that maybe the seat would feel better if I was sitting more upright in order to drive a stick. I tried to do that in his car, but my back was already hurting, so I couldn't tell the difference.

I thought that I REALLY wanted an '05 LGT, but now I am wary about being too wide for the seat.

Any others have similar problems with the driver's seat?

I have never had a problem with that aspect. My biggest seat complaint is no memory seat and whenever I wear boots I have to move the seat around to keep my feet from getting all jumbled up on top of the foot well (bottom of dash) and it takes me about an hour of driving time to get the seat back to where I am comfortable in it...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2607.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/100_4411-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/100_4408-1.jpg

I wish there was more foot room top to bottom, I dont think im that big but when I wear my size 12 work boots it doesnt fit well... But I will say bravo on the carpet protector plastic to the right of the gas pedal as you can see in the below pic it gets a lot of use from me

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/IMG_2608.jpg

Were you driving a lot with your right elbow resting on top of the center console and your left elbow on the door armrest? There is a height difference between the two, with the stock console being lower. This tends to make you "lean" toward the center of the car since your right elbow is supported at a lower height than your left.

There is an armrest extension in the U.S. that a lot of people say doesn't do too much as it mainly just extends it forward a bit. The Japan/Europe "Dual Storage Center Console Box" adds another storage bin on top of the main one and results in the forward edge of the top being about 1-1/2 inches further forward and 2-1/2 or 3 inches taller than stock. This puts the top of the console at just about the same height of the door armrest.

I originally bought my dual box for the extra storage compartment but I noticed that I made for a more comfortable driving position since my shoulders were now level when I had my elbows resting on the armrest and console top.

EDM/JDM Dual Storage Center Console Box:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/danhurwitz/Products/Legacyeuroarmrest.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/danhurwitz/Products/Legacyeuroarmrestopen.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/HotRod03/IMG_4272.jpg

Wow, thanks for the pics, and that sucks about your boots!!!

As much as I want an LGT, I fear that I may have to settle for a TSX instead :(

yeah sucks, at least i dont wear boots a lot at college. they arent LUGS they're work boots. they fit fine on the motorcycle at least...

and hopefully not a new TSX, ewwwwwwwwwwww

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87071

I am 5'9, 215 lbs...

No offense, but that's pretty chunky.

I'm 6' even, 195 and I could stand to lose 10 pounds. My Outback XT seat is very comfortable to me.

I took my brother-in-law to the airport on Saturday, he is 6'8" and 325. I should have brought a shoehorn to fit him in the passenger seat!

I'm 6' even, 195 and I could stand to lose 10 pounds. My Outback XT seat is very comfortable to me.

I took my brother-in-law to the airport on Saturday, he is 6'8" and 325. I should have brought a shoehorn to fit him in the passenger seat!

And Americans complained that we didn't get Recaros in the STI.

I think the seat is great. I'm 6'3 200lbs. I love it compared to the other cars I drive. I have an avalanche, and at work an 07 impala and a stratus. The subaru seats are real nice I think. I do have the armrest extension and lumbar support. Also, I had artificial disc replacement in my back. The seats where a selling point to me before I had my surgery.

Were you driving a lot with your right elbow resting on top of the center console and your left elbow on the door armrest? There is a height difference between the two, with the stock console being lower. This tends to make you "lean" toward the center of the car since your right elbow is supported at a lower height than your left.

There is an armrest extension in the U.S. that a lot of people say doesn't do too much as it mainly just extends it forward a bit. The Japan/Europe "Dual Storage Center Console Box" adds another storage bin on top of the main one and results in the forward edge of the top being about 1-1/2 inches further forward and 2-1/2 or 3 inches taller than stock. This puts the top of the console at just about the same height of the door armrest.

I originally bought my dual box for the extra storage compartment but I noticed that I made for a more comfortable driving position since my shoulders were now level when I had my elbows resting on the armrest and console top.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/danhurwitz/Products/Legacyeuroarmrestopen.jpg

I'm pretty sure my friend actually has the extension. I think I may have been leaning though b/c of the 5EAT.

I have never had a problem with that aspect. My biggest seat complaint is no memory seat and whenever I wear boots I have to move the seat around to keep my feet from getting all jumbled up on top of the foot well (bottom of dash) and it takes me about an hour of driving time to get the seat back to where I am comfortable in it...

I wish there was more foot room top to bottom, I dont think im that big but when I wear my size 12 work boots it doesnt fit well... But I will say bravo on the carpet protector plastic to the right of the gas pedal as you can see in the below pic it gets a lot of use from me

I had this same problem and I only wear size 10.5. I was able to remove the plastic piece that your foot hits. It's really easy and only took a few seconds. After doing this, there is a service port which will not be hanging, but it can easily be cable tied somewhere. My feet no longer hit anything while driving. Hope it helps.

not even kidding most confortable auto seats ive ever sat in were in a 1989 one of these in black. My dad drove it for 275,000 miles with nothing but a little oil loss over 200,000 miles. The car was like new. He was in sales management and his salespeople all drove BMWs or comperable transport but he put so many miles and loved the car so he saw no reason to get rid of it. He couldnt sell it for anything with that many miles so when he wanted a new car he donated it to salvation army or whatever. He walked in said he wanted to donate the car and handed them the keys (tax writeoff worth more than sale or trade on car) they were looking for the flatbed he said the guy couldnt belive he just drove it in. would have probably gone another 100k miles. i found this comercial on youtube for an 88 and we all laughed our ass off. was the most comfortable car ive ever sat in though...

the Nasty Asty.... It said dynasty on each side and one side the D fell off the other the Dn, hence the nasty asty. other than that the car was spotless. he had black with the red cloth interior

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9gHEqN2cJc]YouTube - 1988 Dodge Dynasty[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUA9-wMbu3Y&NR=1]YouTube - Dodge Dynasty Revving[/ame]

dumb video, but The red interior

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6JXzMlW8qg&feature=related]YouTube - Cold start the Dynasty[/ame]

How can you say that is chunky when you haven't even seen him? Do you know the difference between muscle mass and fat mass? In case you don't, muscle mass weighs twice as much as fat mass.

I am 5'10" 195 lbs and I have been 200 before. When I was at 200 lbs, I was was close to 8% bodyfat and had the same waist as I do now, 32 inches...... One could easily be 215 lbs at 5'9" and not be fat if they workout on a regular basis and have the right genetics.....

Just saying....don't jump to conclusions.....

5'9" 195lbs here, more fat than muscle (though I occasionally get comments I look skinny). The LGT's seats were very uncomfortable on my back for the first several hundred miles but I got used to them. They fit me almost perfectly now.

The seat was redesigned in '07.

I did notice I am too wide for the '07 STI Recaro seats. :redface:

I'm 6'7" and 250lbs. I'm not jacked like old school Schwarzenegger but my upper back is pretty big. Yes, I do have some issues with my LGT's seats but I'll just take a short break after driving for about an hour or so. If you are having trouble with the pedals, just invest in a $20 pair of walking sneakers and you should be fine. I wear 13s and don't have any problems in them. The only time I have a problem is when I wear my basketball sneaks which are 15s or my dress shoes which hurts my left foot when I push the clutch, lol. Just keep the walking sneaks in your trunk and you are ready to go!

I'm 6'7" and 250lbs. I'm not jacked like old school Schwarzenegger but my upper back is pretty big. Yes, I do have some issues with my LGT's seats but I'll just take a short break after driving for about an hour or so. If you are having trouble with the pedals, just invest in a $20 pair of walking sneakers and you should be fine. I wear 13s and don't have any problems in them. The only time I have a problem is when I wear my basketball sneaks which are 15s or my dress shoes which hurts my left foot when I push the clutch, lol. Just keep the walking sneaks in your trunk and you are ready to go!

why are your basketball shoes 2 sizes bigger than your normal shoes?

OK, so I have been researching the LGT for about a year now, and I finally had a chance to drive my friend's '05 5EAT for a couple hours on a road trip. After about an hour, I felt like someone had been holding their fist in my back near the side of my back and my right shoulder blade. I asked him if he ever had any problems being uncomfortable in his seat, and he told me that the seat was his only complaint. He said that he has to sit kind of sideways to feel comfortable.

I have a wide back, but nothing too crazy. I am 5'9, 215 lbs with some muscle. My friend is 6'2 and he is chubby, but not obese or anything.

Anyway, I wonder if maybe it was because I was leaning back in my seat a lot because of the 5EAT. I want the 5MT, and I think that maybe the seat would feel better if I was sitting more upright in order to drive a stick. I tried to do that in his car, but my back was already hurting, so I couldn't tell the difference.

I thought that I REALLY wanted an '05 LGT, but now I am wary about being too wide for the seat.

Any others have similar problems with the driver's seat?

i have the sameproblem. almost all cars with side bolsters dig into my ribs. i always wonder how scronny someone is when they complain they need more. i tend to slouch and drive. i am never ina leaned bck position. whats a head rest? passanger is a little different though. it is slightly uncomfortable but i usually forget about it.

but yeah. the bolsters dig directlyinto my ribs.

its not chunky. you just on the skinny side. ok i lied. i cant talk much though. im cracking 195. im built a little thick though. 350 on aleg extension is pushing it but not maxes. maxed a calf machine. can do situps with2 cindrr blocks being held by me with ease. was 180 when i exited the military. i dont lift weights though. used to be able to lateral pull 240. that was the machines max.

blah blah

trust me man. my younger bro is taller but he has nevr had the mass i have had nor the strength. its easier for the shorter folk ti build muscle.

5'9" 195lbs here, more fat than muscle (though I occasionally get comments I look skinny). The LGT's seats were very uncomfortable on my back for the first several hundred miles but I got used to them. They fit me almost perfectly now.

The seat was redesigned in '07.

I did notice I am too wide for the '07 STI Recaro seats. :redface:

Interesting... I wonder if I would just need to "break them in" even though I would be buying an '05 with at least 50K miles on it. I want to get a limited, so I hope the leather seats are a bit more comfortable. And for being 215 lbs at 5'9.. I could probably lose 15 pounds and then I would be pretty jacked. I'm about 15% bodyfat right now.

Interesting... I wonder if I would just need to "break them in" even though I would be buying an '05 with at least 50K miles on it. I want to get a limited, so I hope the leather seats are a bit more comfortable. And for being 215 lbs at 5'9.. I could probably lose 15 pounds and then I would be pretty jacked. I'm about 15% bodyfat right now.

I belive the break them in could be valid. My spec.b was a middle aged male one owner car before the dealer got it. Im pretty sure it was driven as a commuter and mostly driven with no passengers. have noticed passenger seat is much stiffer than my drivers seat

why are your basketball shoes 2 sizes bigger than your normal shoes?

I can fit into 13s if I use them for just walking around, plus they are a lot easier to find at the store. My feet are a little wide and Nikes are usually narrow which is why they are 2 sizes bigger.

I can fit into 13s if I use them for just walking around, plus they are a lot easier to find at the store. My feet are a little wide and Nikes are usually narrow which is why they are 2 sizes bigger.

wide feet here too. most shoes are just built for narrow women feet. example. size 11 combat boot was too big length wise. width wise my pinky toe stuck out over the edge of the boot. i flattened it by normal wearing. once i got a 10 wide all was good. ecco usually has some decent width to a few of their shoes. rockport can order wide sizes.

has anyone went from brake to gas only to accidentally hit the inner edge of the brake agin? being an auto i have no reason t heel to toe but i find them to be a hair too close together.

I test drove a STi with the second storage bin on the armrest and hated it. It interfered with shifting the manual trans horribly.

Archived