LegacyGT.com

driver side wheel squeak

magichat

Ok,

At about 5k miles my car seemed to develop a squeak from the driver side front wheel. To date they have cut the rotors, regreased everything, and even changed the wheel bearing. The latest stint was applying brembo brake grease which solved the problem for all of 5 minutes before starting again.

The squeak happens when car is warmed up, braking has no affect, neither does the transmission. This is really pissing me off more so the fact its embarassing to have a brand new car making this squeal and having my car constantly in service. Anyone else have this problem?

BTW '06 LGT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I have the same problem, goes at the speed of the wheel which means it's in the driveline somewhere. Back of the Rotor sheild is a good place to look though. It sounds like something rubbing ever so slightly on the tire but there is nothing. Maybe in the CV boot

I now have the same problem on my wagon. It started after the dealer did on on-car lathe job on my front rotors due to brake pulsing. Mine comes and goes, sometimes louder, sometimes quieter. Seems more prevalent after I have been driving a long time.

Is yours really constant, or comes and goes?

• 1 month later...
I am experiencing the same problem on my '06 legacy GT. Has anyone gotten this issue resolved. Please let me know cause I was thinking that it was the wheel bearing, but now that I have read your posts I think differently.

• 4 weeks later...

well, its been awhile since I updated this. After 3 times back and forth to the dealership they so far replaced rotors, calipers, brakes, wheel bearing, and now finally the axle seal.

Noise is not as frequent anymore but I occasionally hear it when driving next to a divider. The Subaru rep came down and actually had the dealership disassemble the entire front suspension and reassemble.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the exact same experience as the above poster. Wheel started squeaking after prolonged driving, and gradually got more and more frequent. It was diagnosed as a faulty dust seal inside the bearing assembly, and they replaced the whole bearing assembly as a unit. Problem solved, fixed under warranty.

The service manager told me that they had seen 3 other cars with the exact same problem just this month, and that they wouldn't be surprised if a TSB were issued soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mine is constant, and I think wheel bearing related but as I posted elsewhereon this board, I have yet to confirm that but hope to later this week.

ETA: I think that the sound is better described as a whistling sound rather than a squeak.

Okay, this is definitely what I have, based on icehousewvu's post. Gonna mention it to the dealer tomorrow morning. It's definitely more of a whistle/whine than a squeak.

For the rest of you, is the noise speed-dependent or RPM-dependent? Mine has nothing to do with RPM, the pitch changes based on speed.

I had the exact same squeak that disappeared when i replaced the brake rotors and pads with aftermarket parts. I never took it to the dealership for diagnosis as i was waiting to see it the brake upgrade fixed it which it did.

Oh, to answer your question. My car only sqeaked when i made a left or right turn.

• 4 weeks later...
I just started noticing this same thing...speed-dependent squeaking, happens when the car's warmed up. I'll be heading into the dealer this week to get it checked out; hopefully the know what's up.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I've got the same noise, seems to come from the driver's front wheel. It is speed dependent, but not is not dependent on the brakes / transmission (happens in gear and out of gear) / engine (turn car off and roll).

It also does not seem to depend on whether the car is warmed up or not. The only reason I know this is that I usually drive out of a parking garage after work, and can hear the noise bouncing off the walls.

It is intermittent, so I'm glad to know others are having a problem and that I'm not just crazy. I still have to take my car in for the cooling fan relay, so I'll have them look at this as well.

I've got the same noise, <snip?

It is intermittent, so I'm glad to know others are having a problem and that I'm not just crazy.

:rolleyes: Oh don't worry, w/ any luck you'll get the service writer I got the 1st time who'll practically tell you that you are.:rolleyes: LOL! I thought it was a stuck caliper at first, so he says; "Oh yeah that's the usual brake noise, blahblah...":lol:

Archived