LegacyGT.com

Drifting in Snow

Would using the e-brake to induce drifts/powerslides cause damage to the fulltime AWD system? As the e-brakes applied to the rear half of the AWD system would transmit their braking force to the front half.

If it can damage, how can drifts/powerslides be induced? Turning hard?

Mojo

I keed I keeed

Would using the e-brake to induce drifts/powerslides cause damage to the fulltime AWD system? As the e-brakes applied to the rear half of the AWD system would transmit thier braking force to the front half.

If it can damage, how can drifts/powerslides be induced? Turning hard?

Mojo

I have always been told using the hand brake on a AWD car is not a good idea indeed. Drifting and powerslides can be done simply by modulating the throttle and the steering, as long as you have enough power to do it (needs a turbo Subie).

Go try it in a large parking lot at night after or during a snowstorm. After a few minutes of practice, trial and error, you will get the idea.

I just got rid of my '92 Loyale (with 220,000mi on the odo). I was so excited at my first snowfall , couldn't wait to do e-brake drifts. I quickly found out that the e-brake was hooked up to one front, and one rear wheel. No drift for me. I now have an '05 GT Wagon, and there is more than enough power to do power induced drifts. I'm so impressed with how this car handles like a rear driver.

I got a non turbo 05 wagon and I can slide that thing with all 4 spinning around any sharp corner in just rain much less snow...

Just go into the corner a good 10mph too fast, enter wide and cut in sharp a little later than you should, then FLOOR it in a gear that will be at 4k+.

I've been doing nothing but drifting through corners in my new legacy... it's probobly not very smart as you do risk wrecking but it's fun as hell...

The drivetrain just pulls/pushes you through the corner basically perfectly balanced... it's great.

I wish I took some pictures tonight. Some friends and I were drifting on a gravel, snow covered road. That was fun. And then we found a parking lot that was basically completely packed snow. Got some good drifting action in using just the throttle. I love the torque of this car. :D Next time I'll have to take pics..

Would using the e-brake to induce drifts/powerslides cause damage to the fulltime AWD system? As the e-brakes applied to the rear half of the AWD system would transmit their braking force to the front half.Mojo

My understanding is that doing the e-brake trick would transfer more, not less torque to the rear wheels because of the center positive traction viscous diff. I assume that's where Subaru's damage claim comes from - do that do often or too long and you could develop terminal heat...

Archived