LegacyGT.com

DP and UP... make my decision for me...

The Murdocta

I'm due for emmissions by the end of July. Therefore i'm planning on purchasing a Down pipe and Up pipe by the end of the summer (AKA, within a few weeks)

I've read a lot of posts on each and every brand and still cant make up my mind. Is is worth it to pay the extra money and go for the COBB catted or will I get the best sound/performance out of catless and which kind?

Right now I have the Megan Racing CBE and I'm thinking of getting the MR down pipe simply because the price is so low. (around $200) I've also been looking at Up pipes and have been torn between Grimmspeed, Invidia or the STI up.

What setup do you guys reccomend... please make up my mind for me.

Will it Blend? That is the question!

I would not run the car without cats. Yes the Cobb catted DP cost more but the exhaust it cleaner (less nitrous oxide and carbon monoxide). I live in a state where they don't check emissions. I'm not sure how your state checks. You probably want to pass the emissions check in the future.

Well CT is pretty strict about emissions but Ive seen cases where people have gone catless and still passed. Its a matter of price really. If I can get away with a catless piece for cheaper then I'm leaning more towards that. Especially since Ill have that two year window where I won't have to worry about emissions. How does the grimspeed compare to the stock 07? The aftermarket is wider right?

I'm going to preface this: I am not an environmentalist. I get shit fuel economy and don't care. i track my car and burn 2-3 tanks of gas a day. I don't recycle like a should. I don't own a Prius, nor do I want to.

A cataltic converter is the most effective dollar for dollar pollution reduction meathod we've ever seen. It is almost single handidly responsible for keeping air in the LA basin and Sacramento Valley near breathable. Too expose your follow citizens to this to save $100-200 and maybe get 2 hp is reckless. The difference between a catted car and an on-catted car is just so dramatic in terms of pollution.

Oh, I expect to get hate for this, but completely removing pollution control from a mondern car is just giving a middle finger to the earth and its inhabitants.

That's my lecture, and I don't want to shit up this thread anymore,s o I'll leave it at that.

I have the catted invidia DP with an STI UP (which i don't mind because I still ahve a cat and newer LGTs don't need them). I'm very happy. Got it from the GB (there's one going on right now).

I'm going to preface this: I am not an environmentalist. I get shit fuel economy and don't care. i track my car and burn 2-3 tanks of gas a day. I don't recycle like a should. I don't own a Prius, nor do I want to.

A cataltic converter is the most effective dollar for dollar pollution reduction meathod we've ever seen. It is almost single handidly responsible for keeping air in the LA basin and Sacramento Valley near breathable. Too expose your follow citizens to this to save $100-200 and maybe get 2 hp is reckless. The difference between a catted car and an on-catted car is just so dramatic in terms of pollution.

Oh, I expect to get hate for this, but completely removing pollution control from a mondern car is just giving a middle finger to the earth and its inhabitants.

That's my lecture, and I don't want to shit up this thread anymore,s o I'll leave it at that.

I have the catted invidia DP with an STI UP (which i don't mind because I still ahve a cat and newer LGTs don't need them). I'm very happy. Got it from the GB (there's one going on right now).

Well said!

an uncatted car also can smell pretty bad.

personally, i run a cat because i like to do my little part but i'm not going to give the OP shit for having an uncatted car if he wants to... cars are raced all the time without cats. i believe NASCAR doesn't use cats nor does any other professional organized racing.

Thanks scooby, thats what I like to hear. As far as the whole pollution thing.. I am environmentally conscious I just wanted to get information on the different options available. I think I will go catted since I will need to get emissions in another two years anyway.

• Mega Users

Look into an 07+ Legacy uppipe, or an STi uppipe.

They're catless, cheap, can be found used in good condition

and you get OEM quality. I'd worry about putting on a cheaper

aftermarket piece if you want long term reliability.

I'm running a Cobb cated downpipe and Grimmspeed uppipe and I've very happy with the setup.

I'm not sure what flange your Megan system uses but I'm just bolted to the stock catback so the Cobb fits like it should (shrinks and uses a doughnut gasket). Might want to look into what fits your catback.

Cobb UP, Cobb catted(reeowrr) DP. Bought the UP new for cheap$$, the DP NIB from another member on this board for $450 shipped. Running Borla exhaust. I live in Mass where they stick their finger up your A_s every time they inspect your car and I always pass emissions. Catless reeks, smells like hell and gives me a headache. Search around for a used Cobb/Invidia w/cat.:)

lizard.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Archived