LegacyGT.com

I don't have a turbo heat shield - should I make one?

Penphoe

Should I make a heat shield using my proposed mounting locations?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should I make a heat shield using my proposed mounting locations?

• Yes - it'll be okay
    • No - the heat transfer through the heat shield will do more harm than good.
    • Better to use the hot side mount points for the heat shield

Bought my car used and its missing the heat shield over the turbo.

Is it worth it to replace the heat shield? As you can see by the pic, I'm also missing the heat shield mounting bracket.

I'm thinking of making a simple custom heat shield out of some metal. As you can see in the pic, the oil feed line on my car is a braided line that goes over the WG actuator arm. I put the protective cover over the line and there is clearance between the line, the cover and the arm itself.

Anyway, back on topic. Would it be okay to use the mounting hole where the hard line is secured to the turbo (marked in red)? I'm also thinking of using the lower mounting hole (marked in green).

With the heat shield right over the turbo, do I need to be concerned with heat being transfered through the heat shield through to the "cool" side of the turbo where my hypothetical heat shield attaches?

Feedback appreciated!

LaterZ!

Darren!!

1083685971_heatshieldmountpoint.jpg.563dae7ee873f05769ae2a6ce5d918ff.jpg

Your new stategy should work. It just sucks that you didn't even get the mount that goes on top of the turbo(maybe try a WTB thread). At least you found the lower outside mount. Like I said in your other thread; my Cobb heatshield always rattles off that top mount that I posted a pic of anyway so you may as well make you own and have it clear everything porperly and maybe even direct some air flow. Again, my heatshield has been off all winter and probably won't fit over the new turbo anyway, so I'm just going to get a turbo banket or just wrap it with some thermal material to reduce heatsoak.
Let's kick this pig!

You can definitely use those as mounting points. The heat shield is there to protect people, not to prevent heat soak, and what you want to do will have no material effect on the cold side of the turbo, but if you want to install one then go for it :)

Installing one may not have an affect of the turbo itself but wouldnt it soak less on our TMICs if it is installed?

Your new stategy should work. It just sucks that you didn't even get the mount that goes on top of the turbo(maybe try a WTB thread). At least you found the lower outside mount. Like I said in your other thread; my Cobb heatshield always rattles off that top mount that I posted a pic of anyway so you may as well make you own and have it clear everything porperly and maybe even direct some air flow. Again, my heatshield has been off all winter and probably won't fit over the new turbo anyway, so I'm just going to get a turbo banket or just wrap it with some thermal material to reduce heatsoak.

Yah, such is the life of a pre-modded used vehicle. At least I know it came from a reputable owner who took care of the vehicle (Rallitek). The ECU has been reflashed too! :D

I forgot to put an option of wrapping the turbo too, but wouldn't moisture getting trapped underneath the wrap cause rusting problems?

LaterZ!

Darren!!

Installing one may not have an affect of the turbo itself but wouldnt it soak less on our TMICs if it is installed?

A sheet of stainless steel is not going to do anything meaningful to stop heat from reaching the TMIC. There are plenty of members here who tossed the heatshield in the garbage with no ill effects. I have mine because I like the way it looks :)

+1 the stock or a Cobb heatshield will only keep the user from injuring themselves while feeling around the hot motor. The heat just pours out around the stock and Cobb HS. All the Cobb does is put a flat piece of metal between the turbo and intercooler and the heat just comes out both ends. It doesn't matter much when you are moving and getting air flow throught the hoodscoop, but sitting still the HS does nothing to control heatsoak.

There are some blankets that wrap pretty tight and others that have adheisive backs that actually stick to the turbo. I wouldn't worrk about moisture as the turbo should stay warm long enough to dry out any moisture that might get under the blanket. You also have the option of ceramic coating the hot side ofthe turbo.

Let's kick this pig!

I don't plan on taking the turbo out, unless it's broken and needs to be replaced.

In my search for a solution, some people say that it's okay to wrap the turbo. Others say you shouldn't wrap the turbo.

+ for wrapping: keeps the heat in the turbo for better spool. Keeps the heat OUT of the engine bay (which is what I'm looking for). Allows the turbo to stay hot during the shutdown phase, allowing coolant to be pulled and cycled the turbo.

- for wrapping: Can cause the turbo casing to crack - have yet to see a picture or personal testimony of this fact, only hearsay. Moisture getting underneath the blanket causing corrosion. Blanket material soaking up leaking oil causing an engine bay fire. :eek:

I'm leaning towards a blanket because there is a site that sells the Thermo Tec turbo blanket kit for $27. Nothing to bolt up, just some materials to cut and "sew" together which seems easy but might be a PITA to do with the turbo installed on the car. I'm not going to pull the turbo out to wrap it.

LaterZ!

Darren!!

I'm going to add my perspective here regarding heat shielding.

Those of you who've stood in front of a fireplace know there are two kinds of heat being transferred there; radiant heat and convection. If you stand too close to a good fire with lots of glowing coals you will toast the side toward the fire. If you have pants on :) you know that that thin layer of cloth protects you for some time from the worst of it, then they smoke. But meanwhile those pants will keep your legs from burning...... just don't let the pants leg touch you.

A stove is a stove. That factory heatshield was never meant to keep the heated air from reaching the TMIC, it was meant to block the intense radiant heat from the turbo. Heated air does not conduct much heat content to the surface of anything directly.

So my opinion is to use the factory HS, modified to suit your application. I have.

I also use some aluminum foil on my Cobb DP. To block a little of the remaining radiant heat from that area I put HVAC aluminum tape on the end of my TMIC, some on the firewall and continuing underneath where the DP passes.

In the same heat management context, I use the undertray as it helps extract engine bay heat. The AEM intake provides outside temperature air, plus a degree or two.... only. Data logging indicates it is all working.

A sheet of stainless steel is not going to do anything meaningful to stop heat from reaching the TMIC. There are plenty of members here who tossed the heatshield in the garbage with no ill effects. I have mine because I like the way it looks :)

Mine has been in the closet for over a year.

Archived