LegacyGT.com

Do you really need a trans jack for a clutch job?

black318i

Not if you are doing it with the tranny in the car - but you'd have to pull the motor out. Unless you are gonna drop the tranny to do it, then the answer is an absolute yes. Our trannys are heavy as balls. From my personal experience. I had to get one from harbor freight for 70 bucks.

Yea, its all about the size of the tranny... (boy that sounds dirty, lol)

The safest bet is to use the tranny jack, but im sure it could be done with a floor jack or two. There'd be some obvious rigging mods to support it, but it "could" be done.

I cant remember where it is atm, but there was a guy who posted a whole video walkthrough of how to swap out the clutch. It was pretty detailed and if/when I have to swap clutches again I'll be watching it again.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

dunno bout the wrx... but our trannies are def heavy. it wasnt centered on mine 100% as i was lowering it and definitely tipped over. strapped to the jack and all. had to pull it out from under the car w/ a chain. lol

oh, its heavy as hell, but I did drain it first to make it a bit lighter. and you cant have it centered, you need to be about 1/3 from the front where the majority of the mass is and with that it came down pretty easy. what DOES make it a lot easier is to put a jack under the header/oil pan or whatever else on the front, and give it a bit of lift before you start the seperation... makes for a smoother removal, less jarring, and thus easier to use the standard floor jack.

again, I'm sure it is easier with a tranny jack, but it is not needed.

T

I've done a few clutch jobs on various Subarus, and I found that pulling the engine is far easier & more convenient - in most cases. A friend and I used a wooden beam & a rope, and lifted the engine out & in again - without too much hassle. : )

• 4 weeks later...

Archived