LegacyGT.com

Do the wagon rear seats recline?

I've yet to hear any comment whether the rear seats in the wagon recline a bit like in many SUVs and the G35 sedan premium pack. It's just a little thing I suppose but it's a great feature to have. JDM models have it but nothing has ever been confirmed on the US version.

To be honest, I really don't think the feature has any value. My wife's V70 has it, but it's a set it and forget it. We put it in the slightly reclined position (it's only slight) and leave it, never to touch it again. If they just put the seatbacks in fixed at that angle, it would serve the same function as far as we use it.

I guess it's not a huge deal since I would be in the front anyways, but thanks for the clarification. It kinda stinks because that's such an easy little feature to add, and I know it's a little something that helps me sell the Acura MDX. It just seems that if you already have a mechanism to fold the seat at all, the recline is really easy in a wagon since there is no rear deck. Maybe it's because the recline would interfere with a cargo cover.

The rear seats on my 98 Forester recline but I've rarely had people use them. The main issue is that the cargo cover, as PPower points out, gets in the way. The trade off for having seat backs recline is that you get side bolsters that don't move due to the wheel well. In subsequent Forester models, they traded off the recline for better contoured rear seats. It's not a feature I'll miss. Ken

I test drove an FX35, which has reclining rear seats. I must say it is a pretty cool feature to have, but if the rear seat is well designed in the first place, it's not entirely necessary. Still kind of neat, though.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']I tell it like it is.. although in truth there is rarely more than two people in my car at a time. I wonder if I should pad the back of my wagon so my dog doesn't get beat up when I drive him to the park :lol:[/quote] Don't they have critter carrier accessories for that?

[quote name='Gumby']Use 4 dog leads, attach all to his collar and the other end of each to the 4 luggage hooks at the 4 corners of the cargo area.[/quote] Now that's funny... Yeah they have a dog separator, but that's not gonna help the poor guy when I take a 90° corner at 45 MPH. :lol: Suspending him between the luggage hooks is a funny prospect!

Heh, I know one guy that takes his dog everywhere in his REX, the dog has one of those body harnesses (don't recall what it's called), works pretty well, but it's funny watching the dog through the rear window when following him as it doesn't keep Chance perfectly in place. :lol: Rhetteplace is a funny schizzle. Note: I think he also has gotten one tank of gas above 20mpg and it's not the cars fault. ;)

[quote name='SUBE555']Heh, I know one guy that takes his dog everywhere in his REX, the dog has one of those body harnesses (don't recall what it's called), works pretty well, but it's funny watching the dog through the rear window when following him as it doesn't keep Chance perfectly in place. :lol: Rhetteplace is a funny schizzle. Note: I think he also has gotten one tank of gas above 20mpg and it's not the cars fault. ;)[/quote] yeah that was funny. Wow, was he in the "drive it like you stole it" group? (referring to 20mpg) haha

I noticed yesterday that the Lexus RX300 has reclining rear seats and has an interesting cargo cover that allows for the seats to recline without hitting the bar of the cover. It's just placed a little further back and the forward section attaches to the rear seat headrests to move with the seat whether reclined or up.

[quote name='Th3Franz'][quote name='SUBE555']Heh, I know one guy that takes his dog everywhere in his REX, the dog has one of those body harnesses (don't recall what it's called), works pretty well, but it's funny watching the dog through the rear window when following him as it doesn't keep Chance perfectly in place. :lol: Rhetteplace is a funny schizzle. Note: I think he also has gotten one tank of gas above 20mpg and it's not the cars fault. ;)[/quote] yeah that was funny. Wow, was he in the "drive it like you stole it" group? (referring to 20mpg) haha[/quote] No Ryan didn't come along. He had to work or something. An accountant working on a weekend. :lol:

Archived