LegacyGT.com

DIY Parts Washer

I did a ton of research on every parts washer option I could find.

I considered MANY different fluid types from water (aqueous) based fluids, to petroleum-based (mineral spirits), down to the MSDS, from many different suppliers. Fluid heating, container size, container material (metal vs plastic), filtering, pump, parts washer brushes, portability, etc.

I finally settled on the Harbor Freight metal 20-gallon option, for around $100 - coupon + tax. It was modular, so I could modify it to meet my wants. Sound familiar? I went to the store, looked at it for a minute, and walked out. I was prepared for "rough around the edges" and "good after some upgrades" but instead it was just garbage, and I'm not sure I would even want it for free taking up space... Every aspect of it was lacking.

So I designed and built my own!

It is far more awesome than it may first appear. If you've every gotten into using or fixing an aqueous parts washer, you'll understand immediately.

Please let me know if you want certain parts listed & linked, as every single major part was very carefully selected.

All the parts:

Container is bigger than it looks. It can hold anything I can think of every wanting to wash, such as engine case halves, transmission cases, most every suspension part, etc.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=165990&stc=1&d=1382505026

Better Look:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=165991&stc=1&d=1382505026

How I use it:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=165992&stc=1&d=1382505026

I like putting the filter under the rack in the fluid, so it's out of the way, and the container lid can be thrown on without having to move anything except the pump power cord.

Container Specs:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=165993&stc=1&d=1382505026

When I'm done, I pop on the lid and put it on the shelf!

I researched every aspect of this to far greater detail than I've written here. You're just going to have to trust me. Or don't, and instead you can do all the research all over again, and you will see that I knew exactly what I was doing ;)

Parts Summary, Build List:

1) Bin: Commando XXL plastic storage container. 30" x 20" x 15". Is stronger (deflects a lot less) than any other plastic bin I saw at Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart, was $12.

Note: I also got the one-size smaller Commando bin, but decided to use the bigger one since it holds 5EAT transmission cases easily. The slightly smaller one does too, but does not leave much room. The high walls of this bin means NO SPLASHING or mess. Much better than Harbor Freight metal junk option.

2) Wire Racks: Walmart, I think Mainstays brand, sold in a 3-pack of varying sizes (S, M, L). Two of the Medium size fit PERFECTLY in the Commando XL. Two of the Large + One Small for middle-of-rack support fit PERFECTLY in the Commando XXL, with a little room on the side for accessory plumbing or whatever. White color tells me the fluid is CLEAN.

I can remove them in 2 seconds if I want.

3a) Derale Oil Filter Mounting Adapter. SummitRacing or Amazon, $25 ish because I wanted dual-side-plumbing bonus feature, just in case. Otherwise $20. I forgot the thread pitch filter type I chose, but can look it up if anyone wants it, or Google #4:

3b) Adapter fittings, in my case I had extra [1/2" MNPT (Male NPT) to 3/8" barb fittings]. Seal with Teflon pipe thread seal tape. Maybe $4 each on eBay, or mine are 316 SS from McMaster and will last the next 1,000 years... don't ask.

4) Purolator PURE ONE Oil Filter # 30001. This one is much bigger than other options I found that would also fit at PepBoys. Specifically, Pure One will filter damn near everything to 20 microns in one pass, and most 5 microns after several passes!! For this purpose, they filter better than ANYTHING, except maybe a specialized Donaldson. Maybe $6?!

5) This PWR? flow-through parts washer brush is the only option worth a damn. $20 on eBay. Stiff bristles that last. Worth it.

6) Jabao water pump, great price on Amazon. I got the 200_p_ flow version, which is 4x the Harbor Freight one. No pre-filter is necessary, unless you are sucking up some disgusting garbage. As a rule, nothing that disgusting gets in my garage. I'll bring out the pressure washer first if it's that bad.

7) Simple Green HD! Home Depot, by the Gallon. Full strength is at a dilution of 3 to 1 (3 water to 1 Simple Green HD). It's identical to Simple Green Extreme Aircraft Cleaner, but 1/3rd the price, and they add purple coloring... In the end, this was the ONLY good option for me. Safe to breathe, no awful smell, rinses residue-free, and after a lot of research, talking with a Simple Green technical rep (very smart person), analyzing the MSDS, I finally gave into the fact that it's completely safe for aluminum (and everything else) if not left to soak for long periods of time. Regular Simple Green is NOT SAFE FOR ALUMINUM, and smells terrible due to that awful scent they add to it, which is no in the otherwise identical formulation of Simple Green Crystal. I digress, SG HD was the best and only choice. Works optimally at 110* F.

8) Coming soon: Heating Element, thermostatically controlled to 110*F. I have the parts, just need to assemble.

9) Power switch and thermostatic temp control box, will keep heat on only when pump is on. Might switch outlet(s) to GFCI, though I doubt it's necessary since it plugs into a GFCI outlet. I've been using it for cooking Sous Vide lately. Youtube it, your mind will be blown.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=165996&stc=1&d=1382507263

10) Only thing I did not plan out was hose diameter adapting, so I'll later order a 1/2" to 3/8" barbed plastic or metal adapter to adapt my 1/2" Jabao outlet to 3/8" everything after. You can use any type of chemical-resistant hose, so I just used excess leftover from other projects (free, no wasted time thinking about it).

Ask any questions. Cheers.

IMAG0815.jpg.77394e1a9d73c5d8a2982c6bf76eed16.jpg

IMAG0816.jpg.935699d34991fe5b39750c70016f7e4c.jpg

IMAG0817.jpg.5524d347fea79b82315fc05d0b511f40.jpg

IMAG0818.jpg.d52485b7375c55d7e2a702ce1cfefc36.jpg

IMAG0600.jpg.7237f7e92003b287f5536fcbec3f63b3.jpg

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 3 months later...

Been using it. Whole setup works great! But only for parts that won't rust.

I definitely need to heat this fluid, so thinking of a change of plans to instead do an in-line heater.

Only drawback is that aqueous cleaning solution just doesn't work well compared to solvent-based. So if I stumble upon a sealed container that can handle mineral spirits, then I will replicate the whole setup (except replacing any soft parts that are not solvent-compatible, such as the hose) and install either outside or inside underneath a vent area.

I may also test the Commander box to see if it degrades with solvents. My guess is yes it will.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...

Bought 3 more 15 gallon versions of these bins from Walmart. So that will be a total of 4x 15 gallon bins. Going to retire the bigger bin, it's too big for most of my needs.

For the new 3:

Ordered 6 of ~12" x ~10" "medium cabinet shelf" wire racks, so two per bin fills each perfectly. Ordered from Bed Bath & Beyond 6 for $39 shipped. Worth it.

Need to order 3 more jabao pumps, 2 derale remote oil filter mounts, 2 Purolator PureOne PL30001 filters, perhaps some hose, etc.

The inline fluid heater arrived, but I don't have the adapters to go from 5/8" or even stretched 1/2" hose to 3/8" hose.

The 4 bins will be:

1 Simple Green HD 1:3 ratio for aluminum

2 Oil Eater for non aluminum

3 100% ATF for prepping and rinsing 5eat internals

4 clean rinse water for 1&2 (I don't have a shop sink, certainly don't want to give up any room for one.

Only one I'm doubtful of for now is the rinse water one, might be easier or better to just have a big dunk bucket for a rinse.

Followed by either a mineral oil dunk and drip dry if easily rustable, or quick compressed air dry, depending on what I'm cleaning. I will trial and error it.

Still not comfortable having a mineral spirits parts washer in my enclosed garage with no ventilation (just circulation).

All these fit nicely on my new shelves.

Will have all these finished and operational in maybe a month. I have a bunch of orders to fulfil first. Simply wanted to get the Walmart and other retailer bits before they were phased out completely (bins, racks). Was driving by one so why not.

I really want to have an indoor pressure washer booth that can easily be stored away when not being used.

Goals:

1 collapsable, storable

2 splash guards, to not get water all inside my shop

3 holds rinse water to be dumped elsewhere safely.

4 inexpensive.

Thinking of using my bigger plastic bin or an even bigger one, popping up a sort of shower curtain on a rectangulat ring on 4 legs, bin lid on top of rectangular curtain surround. Then I could just reach in the pressure washer wand and spray whatever I want without leaving the garage.

My 1900psi would make quick work of all the nooks and crannies of a 5eat case, leaving it down to bare aluminum.

Thoughts?

Eh, just roll it outside on the jack and blast away. It's simpler and avoids mess in the shop. Of course, if you've got a pretty driveway, it might make a bit of a mess, but the Simple Green HD and a good brush will make quick work of any concrete stains.

I'd like to see a bunch of pics of how your shop space is looking nowadays.

Eh, just roll it outside on the jack and blast away. It's simpler and avoids mess in the shop. Of course, if you've got a pretty driveway, it might make a bit of a mess, but the Simple Green HD and a good brush will make quick work of any concrete stains.

I'd like to see a bunch of pics of how your shop space is looking nowadays.

I have a shared drive, townhouse configuration, and so I want exactly zero attention from the neighbors. I actually signed something saying the garage is for parking cars only, and even washing of cars is not allowed :lol::lol::lol: I get neurotic about keeping to that, as I love my garage and location and wouldn't trade it for anything right now. A quiet neighbor is a good neighbor, so I keep as quiet as possible. Was cutting shelf board with a loud circular saw the other day, and I felt the eyes on me. Though I do have a patio, I still want everything clean clean clean, which means I still want a splash guard. With a simple splash guard provision, it might as well be in the garage. I have a design in my head that would work well and cause little mist (my dehumidifier would pickup any vapor), and easily stow away.

I do plan to snap various pictures of my garage space when it's to the point that I'm immediately planning (not for this forum). Until then, you'll have to look elsewhere (cough, GarageJournal) if you want to see what I've been doing to it recently. Nothing exceptional, but it's starting to get to look like what I want.

White semi-gloss walls, almost nothing on the floors (so still adding shelves routinely as if I don't already have enough), heavy equipment on casters, vinyl roll-out G-Floor, drainage provision for my 5EAT benches, some kind of formal storage system/area for the transmissions (would love stackable but it is more work), would then really want to convert my engine hoist (really a 5eat hoist and lathe hoist) to air over hydraulic.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this write-up. I like the drum-mounted washers as they allow you to keep the fluid down below and any sediment that washes-off, settles to the bottom of the drum. Your pump suction side stays well above that point, so fresh fluid (motly) through the pump and to the work area.

Something like you've created above would work well, I think, on a supply, recirc/recovery drum setup. Downside is that it does take-up floor footprint, but you can still put things around the bottom of the drum, under your "tank".

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Only drawback is that aqueous cleaning solution just doesn't work well compared to solvent-based. So if I stumble upon a sealed container that can handle mineral spirits, then I will replicate the whole setup (except replacing any soft parts that are not solvent-compatible, such as the hose) and install either outside or inside underneath a vent area.

A company local to me makes industrial parts washing machines, and they exclusively use solvent-free detergents.

http://betterengineering.com/

And here are the MSDS for the detergents they use:

http://betterengineering.com/about-us/msds-detergent-tech-sheets/

It looks like they sell the detergents also, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's overly expensive compared to your homebrewed mixture, or if they have a large minimum order.

Archived