LegacyGT.com

What differential and ATF to use.

Bout to drain and fill my diffs and tranny soon On both my 08 legacy and my 07 forester. Both 2.5s. Both 4spd autos.

Most likley going to start using synthetic.

Any recommendations?

Im thinkin all Redline. How much of each should i need to do drain and fill for both vehicles? I will be dropping the trans pans and replacing filters too

• 2 weeks later...

Redline is good, Amsoil is good, I’m sure others are good too, but I’ve had good luck with those two.

Trans fluid.. my wife’s forester did fine with Amsoil ATF, but mine developed a shift flare not too long into using it. Could be that I had over 2X the stock power running thru it, but *shrug*

11 qts each trans will do a flush. You take the return line off the side and put it in a bucket. Start the engine and it will pump fluid out. DIY flush

'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

Finally someone says something haha yeah id LOVE to use amsoil but $$$$. Think i MIGHT go with the subie trans fluid for now just cuz its actually cheap and ill need 22qts lol thats gonna be spendy either way definitely gonna do redline in the diffs tho cuz thats not very much at all

Really 2X the power and amsoil made the tranny act funny? Doesnt sound right to me... thats what its made for. Which tranny was it? Oh same as me i see it at the end of your message now. Whats your hybrid intake and whats delta 1000?

The hybrid intake uses tubing to replace the torque box that connects to the throttle body, but retains the filter/snorkel box. Delta 1000 is a set of reground cams for low/mid range.

I’m sure the Amsoil didn’t cause my shift flare, but I had done some reading about the 5EAT not liking it and decided to just use Subaru ATF. Fresh fluid mostly fixed the flare.

I didn’t notice any power loss. Someone on nasioc did a bunch of testing a few years ago and that setup was the optimal intake for power and not messing with the snorkel.. which makes the MAF voltages funky at certain rpms.

The cams.. they were $125? I think, each. Need a timing belt kit and some gaskets on top of that. It’s a full weekend project for sure, but I’m happy with them

Huh yeah ive read its just like the initial off the line that loses power i suppose with added power tho you wouldnt notice such a minimal gain. Oh yeah so 11qts in the entire tranny? Even draining the pan and changing the filter?

Im gonna do my gfs forester tonight i think. Should be about $100 to get all the atf and the filter from the subie dealer here just over $7 a quart so its not too bad but i have to go out of town to do the work. So no running bacm to the dealer to get more if i dont have enough

I use 11 when I flush. Disconnect the return line from the trans cooler, right beside the trans. Have the pan full of new fluid and start the car. It’ll pump fluid out that return line. Do 3 or so quarts and shut it down to refill the pan. Repeat until you get clean fluid from the return line

Well today is a good day. Got the tranny done on the forester and its significant. Best part is no more torque bind when turning. I think it could be a little smoother but it does still need new diff oil and has a broken sway bar link lol

Archived