LegacyGT.com

What did you really pay to put another motor in your GT?

I have been wanting to get a better idea of what it takes to replace the motor in one of these cars. There just does not seem to be a cheap way of doing it.

Shortblock is 2000.00 then you need the heads checked, full gasket kit, t belt kit, fluids etc.

So to those who lost a motor to rod knock, what did you spend to get it back on the road?

Last year I spent

$1700 on short block

$800 on heads + $200 to mill/check them

$350 gasket kit set/new oil cooler

$650 timing belt, water pump, misc gaskets

$750 labor to put it all together

I think I've missed a few things but this is majority of it

• I Donated

I spun a bearing in October 2010 and was fortunate enough to find a longblock out of a 2006 WRX with 17,000 mi on it for $2000 locally. After clutch and SMFW, incidentals, fluids, an engine hoist, etc. I probably spent $2350-2500 total.

I cracked a ringland in that block In April 2012. I decided I was not likely to find that kind of a deal again, and besides, I wanted to upgrade pistons, since they are the weak point on these motors anyway. Also, I did not have a catastrophic failure, so I did not need to replace a lot of the parts I would have had to. Cost so far:

Wiseco forged pistons: $527 (vendor substituted CP pistons at no extra cost)

ARP head studs: $200

Gates Racing timing belt and water pump kit: $325

Engine gasket kit: $245

DW65c fuel pump: $149 (cause of cracked ringland was a lean condition and I want to cover all the bases)

CM FX300 clutch kit: $624.50

TSK3 snout repair kit: $155

Fluids and incidentals: ~$75

Machine work on flywheel: ~$40

Engine stand: $36

Total: ~$2376.50

Total without clutch parts and fuel pump: ~$1408

I'm betting mine will be north of 4000, maybe more towards 4500.

May be some day during this week when it's raining I'll add up the cost so far.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

shortblock $1800

gasket kit $240

assorted fluids including 2 oil changes - $60

assorted extra gaskets $25

head's cleaned and valve lash check, if lash is off expect to pay $25 per bucket, you have 16 of them total, won't know how many new ones you need till lash is checked, may not need any, may need 4, may need all 16 but i highly suggest lash is checked as you dont want to have to pull the motor again because a valve seat has worn excessively and the buckets are riding on the cams off-lobe

that is the bare minimum rebuild, and that's assuming free labor :lol:

At 106K my Legacy hydrolocked from a stuck open injector. Ventured over to Nasioc and found an 08 WRX longblock for 3,000. Comes with everything but an oil pan, upgraded with ACL bearings, as well as an STI crank. In the process of putting it back together now. Also built at a Subaru dealership, so that's a nice little peace of mind.

I'm betting mine will be north of 4000, maybe more towards 4500.

May be some day during this week when it's raining I'll add up the cost so far.

Just ran some quick numbers, I'm closing in on $5000, with the new clutch and FW insert. I had the machine shop do a few more things just because it's easier for them then it is for me.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine came in at just under $6k for a complete rebuild and all the labor. That includes forged pistons, upgraded bearings, new timing belt/h2o pump, etc.. A bit on the high side IMO but it was done by a reputable shop that I *hope* will have my back should another problem arise.

Archived