LegacyGT.com

Dealership bent intercooler fins?

I had my LGT in for some pretty serious work last week (turbo bearing went and they replaced the whole long block). I picked up my car last wednesday and noticed that a whole bunch of the intercooler fins are bent and a few look irreparably bent. Before I brought my car in the TMIC was in perfect condition (only 7k miles on it) and no bent fins whatsoever. Do you guys think I should hold the dealership accountable and ask them to replace/fix the intercooler? It's pretty obvious that a tech or someone wasn't careful when putting the intercooler back on. :rolleyes:

Radiator (auto) shops have combs specifically to straighten fins. Really simple job. Take it to a radiator shop and they could do it no charge. Only takes five minutes.

The metal "comb" has to be the proper material and tooth spacing. To buy one just for that would cost more than having the rad. shop do it.

The 5 years I worked at a radiator/intercooler factory, fins always get squashed in handling. Guarantee they weren't thrown away or rebuilt. Some were worth several thousand dollars. (diesel trucks/coolers on huge generators/smaller units for aircraft). Took 5-10 minutes to straighten the fins with a proper comb.

Check the facts on declarative statement before they are made.

Take it to a radiator shop and they could do it no charge. Only takes five minutes.

Out of the goodness of their heart :confused: All radiator shops are clearly run by "good Christian folk":lol:

Any time a business offers to touch your car for free, tell em where to go.:cool:

I don't need to check. Radiator fins are different from our IC fins. You can't comb our IC's.

You can comb straight fins. IC fins zig zag

how do you comb this: ZZZZZZZZ

this is easy: IIIIIIIII

^full of WIN

I don't need to check. Radiator fins are different from our IC fins. You can't comb our IC's.

You can comb straight fins. IC fins zig zag

how do you comb this: ZZZZZZZZ

this is easy: IIIIIIIII

Never thought of this.... I went and looked at my cars IC and it has some bends..there is even a small rock stuck it in, and that is at only 14K miles... I dont know Jack about IC's but assuming the bends are just cosmetic and don't compromise its integrity, I am sure they could straighten them out....(shoot for a free oil change too :cool: )

Power4: Defiantly bring it up to your dealer. Everyone hates a whiner, but in your case you have a 2009 which just had major engine work. If you approach them calmly and reasonably they will make it right (assuming they are a reputable dealer who wants to keep your business)...

Still waiting on some PIX!

Fixed

Power4: Definitely bring it up to your dealer. Everyone hates a whiner, but in your case you have a 2009 which just had major engine work. If you approach them calmly and reasonably they will make it right (assuming they are a reputable dealer who wants to keep your business)...

So I brought it back to the dealer and they offered to straighten them for me. I'm not convinced anymore they did all the damage since I hadn't looked at the TMIC in a few months prior. So some of it could have been from rocks/bugs/chunks of salt over the winter. Do TMICs on our cars get bent from these types of things typically?

They dealer did an ok job straightening them back but I think I'll try to touch them up a little more. I took some before pics with my cell phone I'll post later. It doesn't look bad from straight on now but the bent fins are still noticeable if looking at the intercooler from either side.

Archived