LegacyGT.com

Dealer finally fixed dash rattle!

bkampbel

I am new to the forum, but I recently purchased and 06 LGT sedan and shortly after delivery we developed the dreaded dash rattle coming from the drivers side dash which as been talked about at length in this forum. Took it to the dealer once and they said they secured some loose wiring but soon found out that that wasn't causing the rattle. Called them soon after and they said they would order a new dash to fix the rattle. I wasn't exactly thrilled with that idea knowing how involved that would be. Dash finally came in and they replaced the dash and also put some felt or padding between the dash and the firewall. Well, so far so good and everything seems to be rattle free. They did a pretty good job of putting everything back together with minimal damage.

Although shortly after I got it back there appeared a new rattle coming from the glove box area and it sounded like they had left a screw driver in the dash. I opened the glove box and took out the the plastic box where the owners manual goes which allowed me to look in the dash. I noticed some sort of metal bracket that was vibrating against another piece so I put a couple sheets of folded paper towels and rattle gone.

Also, they gave me loaner to drive while my car was being fixed and I noticed that the Outback that I was driving also had a similar rattle as mine but wasn't as frequent as mine probably due to the softer tires and suspension which makes me think this is definitely a design flaw from the factory.

So I just wanted to share my experience with the rattle and let you know that it can fixed.

That's easy 2 minute fix you could have done yourself.

I'd not want a dealer dissasseble the dash! Zillions of future rattles waiting to happen.

That's easy 2 minute fix you could have done yourself.

I'd not want a dealer dissasseble the dash! Zillions of future rattles waiting to happen.

The 2 minute fix one was a separate rattle not the original rattle. The original rattle seems to be fixed since they replaced the dash. The original creak/rattle was definitely not the fuel lines or something that could of been easily fixed without the removal of some major parts. I could replicate the original rattle by pulling up and down on the instrument panel lip. It was like the dash wasn't very tight to begin with coupled with some parts that creaked when rubbed against each other.

I too was concerned about them replacing such a major part but once I discovered that it was beyond my skill set and also that this was a brand new car with a major rattle I said they can deal with it and fix it until it passes my satisfaction.

Archived